XCOM: Enemy Unknown
UK Release Date:
US Release Date:
UK Publisher: 2K Games
US Publisher: 2K Games
Age Rating: ESRB Mature | PEGI 18
Firaxis' stellar reboot of X-COM/UFO brought the strategy classic into the present day, sacrificing nothing (well, almost nothing) of what the original so memorable in the process. A blend of tense turn-based battling and equally tense base management, XCOM is the rare game to make you care about each and every one of your soldiers - especially if you've given them a silly haircut and a sillier name.
Defeat is only ever one bad turn away, for your troops and for the Earth, with your every decision affecting your efforts to save the planet from an alien invasion. So no pressure.
VerdictRead the review
Brutal, beautiful, emotion-wringing turn-based storytelling muffled by flat base design.
Latest on XCOM: Enemy Unknown
While multi-format publications froth expectantly at the coming release of a plastic box, we might as well laze back and ...
- XCOM: Enemy Within hands on - meet Earth's new defenders
- XCOM: Enemy Within footage shows mechanical punching and super-legs
- XCOM: Enemy Within mod tools aren't "on the table," but might be coming someday
- XCOM: Enemy Within 'War Machines' trailer features bio-augs, mechs, alien-punching
- XCOM: Enemy Within screenshots show aliens, mech-suits and lots of orange
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown's Steam listing updates with mysterious achievements
- XCOM: Enemy Within pops up on Korean ratings board
- X-COM creator Julian Gollop on "brute force" blockbuster game development and the lost promise of intelligent AI
- What we want from the next XCOM
- Firaxis discarded an "awful" XCOM prototype before developing Enemy Unknown