Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
UK Release Date:
US Release Date:
UK Publisher: Ubisoft UK
US Publisher: Ubisoft
Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
Age Rating: ESRB Pending | PEGI 18
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is actually the sixth outing for Ubi's hoodies-through-history action-adventure, this time taking to the high seas of the 18th century Caribbean. There's a new hero too, in the form of swashbuckling sea-dog Edward Kenway - a more charismatic lead than AC3's Connor, it is hoped. Ubisoft won't be fixing what isn't broken, however, and the new nautical setting promises to really push the boat out (har!) on the sea-battles seen in the last game. Indeed, there'll be an entire ocean at your mercy, with many a wreck beneath the waves, begging to be explored by the player's new diving skills.
We've been lusting after a proper pirate game for a good long while, and it's probably a setting that only a mega-franchise like Assassin's Creed would have the resources to properly plunder. That said, one frustration with the Assassin's Creed series has been that, in its eagerness to expand, its hurried conglomeration of features has often eclipsed the more pressing need for a robust assassination simulation at its core. Black Flag's previews may make the most its maritime mischief but an improved attention to the basics may prove its true booty.
VerdictRead the review
A gorgeous, relentlessly entertaining open-world piracy simulator packed with interesting 18th century rogues.
Latest on Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
I do love a bit of PhysX support. Nvidia's proprietary technomagic is great for flappy tarpaulin, windswept cloaks and... other ...
- Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag trailer targets multiplayer features
- Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag trailer shows fancy PC-only effects
- Assassin's Creed 4 launch trailer arrives a month early, brings warning of pirate adventure
- Assassin's Creed 4's 'Rate This Mission' system gathers feedback while you play
- Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag trailer shows more multiplayer violence
- Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag video shows side-missions and polite fights
- Assassin's Creed 4's definition of stealth involves jumping on baddies' heads, Mario style
- Assassin's Creed series has an end, confirms Black Flag game director
- Assassin's Creed: Brahman comic book will explore the Brotherhood in 18th century India
- Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag trailer shows us heavy piracy, a smattering of assassination