Aliens: Colonial Marines
UK Release Date:
US Release Date:
UK Publisher: Sega
US Publisher: Sega
Developer: Gearbox Software
Age Rating: ESRB Mature | PEGI 18
Authenticity will only get you so far, and despite boasting Aliens' iconic pulse rifle and motion tracker noises, Aliens: Colonial Marines was about as welcome as a face-hugger when its millennia-long development cycle finally came to an end. Comparisons to the initial gameplay demo are stark, with the eventual game disappointing on a visual level in addition to, well, just about everything else.
Gearbox's game is certainly a fully featured first-person shooter, boasting co-op as well as a raft of Xeno-on-Marine multiplayer modes, so there's plenty to chew on here - even if, while chewing, you may be inclined to nuke the game from orbit.
However, it's not all doom and gloom. Various community-made mods have already begun to spring up, suggesting that we may eventually get the epic Aliens sequel we were initially promised.
VerdictRead the review
A middling shooter with a wildly inconsistent tone. Decent multiplayer is hindered by questionable longevity.
Latest on Aliens: Colonial Marines
Aliens: Colonial Marines trailers get disclaimer after objections they don't reflect the quality of the final game
In response to an investigation from the UK's Advertising Standards Agency, Sega Europe have acknowledged a consumer complaint that the ...
- Aliens: Colonial Marines patch doctors doorways, acid spit
- Aliens: Colonial Marines DLC plans include $30 Season Pass
- Aliens: Colonial Marines system requirements are eating your face
- SPONSORED: Aliens: Colonial Marines story trailer analysed
- Aliens: Colonial Marines survivor multiplayer trailer goes badly for all humans involved
- Aliens: Colonial Marines multiplayer: xenomorphs vs humans "not a fair set-up"
- Aliens: Colonial Marines' Escape multiplayer mode will make you flee for your life
- Aliens: Colonial Marines trailer shows Smartgun carnage, macho marines, polite conversation
- Aliens: Colonial Marines preview – Xeno AI, retro futurism, and all those unofficial sequels
- Aliens: Colonial Marines release date pushed back to February 12