UK Release Date:
US Release Date:
UK Publisher: Valve
US Publisher: Valve
Age Rating: ESRB Pending | PEGI Pending
Valve's sequel to Defense of the Ancients, the Warcraft III mod that prematurely invented the MOBA genre back in 2003, has some stiff competition in the form of Riot's League of Legends, but they seem to have reached a point where they're capable of co-existing alongside one another. Free-to-play and with a heavy investment in eSports, Dota 2 - like all Multiplayer Online Battle Arenas - mixes real-time strategy with rapid character development, putting a heavy focus on teamwork.
Valve's game distinguishes itself through its integration with Steam Workshop, allowing players to create and upload their own items, which will be considered for inclusion in the main game. Many of the talented 3D artists submitting them are making a decent living via sales to other players.
Though Dota 2 is still technically in beta, that hasn't stopped it from being the most-played game on Steam.
VerdictRead the review
A deep and rewarding competitive game that becomes something special when taken on in the company of others.
Latest on DOTA 2
Welcome to Three Lane Highway, Chris' weekly column all about Dota 2. Sand King is - like ...
- E-Sport of the year: Dota 2
- Dota 2 scraps sign-ups, boasts 6.5 million active monthly users
- Dota 2's upcoming update will add ranked matchmaking for experienced players
- Dota 2's Frostivus holiday event is back
- Dota 2 update adds a trio of spirits and the return of Diretide
- Dota 2 Diretide event to launch "with the next update" at the community's very determined request
- MLG unveils 2014 Dota 2 league schedule, finale set for Anaheim Spring Championship
- Dota 2 First Blood update: thoughts on the first major post-launch patch
- Dota 2 blog post conceals first preview of the GLaDOS announcer pack
- The International 2013: Grand Finals in review