UK Release Date:
US Release Date:
UK Publisher: Valve
US Publisher: Valve
Age Rating: ESRB Pending | PEGI Pending
Valve's sequel to Defense of the Ancients, the Warcraft III mod that prematurely invented the MOBA genre back in 2003, has some stiff competition in the form of Riot's League of Legends, but they seem to have reached a point where they're capable of co-existing alongside one another. Free-to-play and with a heavy investment in eSports, Dota 2 - like all Multiplayer Online Battle Arenas - mixes real-time strategy with rapid character development, putting a heavy focus on teamwork.
Valve's game distinguishes itself through its integration with Steam Workshop, allowing players to create and upload their own items, which will be considered for inclusion in the main game. Many of the talented 3D artists submitting them are making a decent living via sales to other players.
Though Dota 2 is still technically in beta, that hasn't stopped it from being the most-played game on Steam.
VerdictRead the review
A deep and rewarding competitive game that becomes something special when taken on in the company of others.
Latest on DOTA 2
Three Lane Highway is Chris' sometimes earnest, sometimes silly column about Dota 2. It's scary, talking to ...
- Three Lane Highway: why now is a great time to introduce new players to Dota 2
- Three Lane Highway: what Gabe Newell's choice of Dota 2 hero really means
- Dota 2 tournament The International reportedly moving to July, Seattle's Key Arena
- Dota 2's New Bloom update will let you rewrite history and rise like a phoenix
- Dota 2's New Bloom heralds the arrival of the Year Beast, also Terrorblade
- E-Sport of the year: Dota 2
- Dota 2 scraps sign-ups, boasts 6.5 million active monthly users
- Dota 2's upcoming update will add ranked matchmaking for experienced players
- Dota 2's Frostivus holiday event is back
- Dota 2 update adds a trio of spirits and the return of Diretide