A fix for the 'ghosts' breaking Rainbow Six Siege has been deployed
Ubisoft continues to monitor the issue.
Keep up to date with the most important stories and the best deals, as picked by the PC Gamer team.
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
This article was updated at 8 pm PT Sunday to reflect that the ghosts have been busted.
For parts of this weekend, many Rainbow Six Siege players were unable to access Ranked, Unranked, and other game modes due to an issue related to lobbies and player account levels.
"We are not having a good weekend," tweeted Siege creative director Leroy Athanassoff on Sunday.
The issue was that Siege seemed to think everyone was partied up with a brand new account, which meant they couldn't join most playlists. There was no one to kick from the squad to fix it, because that low-level 'ghost' squadmate didn't really exist.
Two Siege players at PC Gamer experienced the bug first hand. Morgan took the screenshot above, showing a level 205 account being informed that its empty squad doesn't meet the level 50 requirement for a Ranked game. Spooky. (And frustrating.)
Reports from players on social media indicate that the bug started Saturday at a smaller scale, but has been spreading since. This weekend was a free weekend for Siege, which just started a new season.
-Yes we are aware-Yes Teams are investigating the issue for hours now -Yes as dev we are not having a good week end ==> Stay tuned to official channel for more info And yes we apologize for this 🙏😢September 12, 2021
Some players reported hearing the sound effect that indicates that a player has joined their lobby; the 'ghost' causing the problem. A bot on Siege's official Discord also attributed the bug to ghost players, but Ubisoft's official forum post and tweet about the issue didn't mention it.
Keep up to date with the most important stories and the best deals, as picked by the PC Gamer team.
At about 4 pm PT on Sunday, the official Rainbow Six Siege Twitter account said that the developers were working on two separate issues, "one impacting matchmaking on PC" and "one impacting online infrastructure on Xbox." The Xbox issue was resolved first, and few hours later the account reported that an update had been deployed to fix the PC version.
UPDATE: We're happy to report that the issues affecting matchmaking on PC have been successfully resolved.As some of you have reported, there was an emerging issue preventing console players from joining Squads. We have addressed this and things should be returning to normal.September 13, 2021
"We'll continue to closely monitor the game's performance to ensure these fixes hold," said Ubisoft. "Over the next week, we will implement more robust long-term measures to prevent this from happening again."
We're not exactly sure what it is Ubisoft will be working on preventing. A bug? An exploit? A mundane server issue? Some players have claimed that a hacker was behind it all, but that rumor hasn't been substantiated, and Ubisoft hasn't acknowledged it. We'll look for more info on that, but for now, the good news is that Siege is returning to normal.
Jon Bolding is a games writer and critic with an extensive background in strategy games. When he's not on his PC, he can be found playing every tabletop game under the sun.

