Kickstarted game Haunts gives up the ghost, sheds devs, promises refunds
Keep up to date with the most important stories and the best deals, as picked by the PC Gamer team.
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
And so it begins! Haunts: The Manse Macabre is, or possibly was, an asymmetrical multiplayer game which found favour and modest fortune through Kickstarter. The developer, Mob Rules Games, has since been unable to complete the project following the departure of key staff, as noted by the BBC and RPS . Mob Rules developer Rick Dakan describes the sad circumstances on the Haunt Kickstarter blog .
Given the long gestation times for games, this could end up being just one of many Kickstarter games to come to a sticky end in the coming months - and though the devs seem to be doing all the right things to make amends, it stands as a warning to consumers that there are few assurances when you try and buy something from the future.
Over 1,200 people backed Haunts when funding started in June of this year. The project was looking for the relatively minor sum of $25,000 from Kickstarter, having already spent $42,000 on the game's development so far - and it overshot that mark by $3,739. The good news for these backers is that they will hopefully get their money returned should the game take a terminal turn.
"My obligation to all of you generous Kickstarter backers is foremost in my mind and I have not served you as well as I should have," said Dakan in his blog post. "We have spent all the money we raised, but I will personally refund out of my own pocket anyone who wants to withdraw their support, no questions asked."
He also said that he'd be willing to forfeit his entire share in the game, if another dev were to take it on, complete and ship it. That's due diligence and then some, I'd say - but there will surely be other game developments that go south and then simply don't have the dosh to cough up compensation. After all, this happens a lot behind closed doors in the rest of the game industry. Crowdfunding is ultimately no less risky than private investment, but it does mean that the cruel realities of business are now placed right in the consumer's lap. Maybe, soon, consumers will find themselves footing the bill, too - at which point, Kickstarter's honeymoon may come to a close.
Keep up to date with the most important stories and the best deals, as picked by the PC Gamer team.

