Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#1   Report Post  
    Old 05-22-2012, 02:54 PM

Default What are you reading?

I'm reading or rather trying to finish 2001 a space odyssey. it's not a bad book at all but it does get into the workings of the ship a little too much, maybe i'm just at a boring part cause the first half of the book flew by. i really enjoyed it.

I want to finish this so i can start on the rest of the series 2010, 2061, and 3001.

Looking 4 Indie bundles? http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 05-22-2012, 03:56 PM

I've just finished Stalingrad by Antony Beevor (Kudos to Mr P for the suggestion).

It's a gripping read and leaves you with a sense of incredulity that both Germany and Russia managed to get such ridiculously petty stupid leaders at the same time - and how this completely screwed both of them over. And as usual, the people who suffered most were their civilians and soldiers.

I'm also going through Sandman by Neil Gaiman (Massively inventive and some of the best storytelling I've seen in a book), just polished off REAMDE by Neal Stephenson (Very good, but not quite on par with Cryptonomicon - I thought the epilogue let it down, but the rest is a very solid book) and have a shit load of New Scientists piled up next to my bed.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 05-22-2012, 04:02 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daviddanut View Post
    I've just finished Stalingrad by Antony Beevor (Kudos to Mr P for the suggestion).

It's a gripping read and leaves you with a sense of incredulity that both Germany and Russia managed to get such ridiculously petty stupid leaders at the same time - and how this completely screwed both of them over. And as usual, the people who suffered most were their civilians and soldiers.
    If you haven't already, do listen to Dan Carlins Ghosts of the Ostfront series. ( [url]http://dancarlin.com/dccart/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&cPath=3&pro ducts_id=184&zenid=8eae5f7565d7798b9e1d6708d509f42 0[/url] ). Some of the best coverage of the Eastern Europe front. Absolutely worth the price.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 05-22-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daviddanut View Post
    I'm also going through Sandman by Neil Gaiman (Massively inventive and some of the best storytelling I've seen in a book), just polished off REAMDE by Neal Stephenson (Very good, but not quite on par with Cryptonomicon - I thought the epilogue let it down, but the rest is a very solid book) and have a shit load of New Scientists piled up next to my bed.
    Sandman is brilliant. granted I've only read the first 4 or 5 tpb's but I would like to read them all.

Looking 4 Indie bundles? http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 05-22-2012, 05:22 PM

Taming the infinite: The story of Mathematics from the first numbers to chaos theory By Ian Stewart is an excellent book . I read it recently. Now I started to read Billiards at Half-past Nine by Heinrich Boll . I love his book "the clown" and i really want to read something else from him.
    Geforce GTX485M @ 2GB
    12GB RAM @ 1600Mhz
    250GB SSD
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 05-22-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by doctor_roxo View Post
    Sandman is brilliant. granted I've only read the first 4 or 5 tpb's but I would like to read them all.
    I read Preludes & Nocturnes (The first collection) then immediately spent £250 on the absolute editions. Hooray for bonuses from work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SAeN View Post
    If you haven't already, do listen to Dan Carlins Ghosts of the Ostfront series. ( [url]http://dancarlin.com/dccart/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&cPath=3&pro ducts_id=184&zenid=8eae5f7565d7798b9e1d6708d509f42 0[/url] ). Some of the best coverage of the Eastern Europe front. Absolutely worth the price.
    Listened to the into on YouTube, instantly hooked, picked them up. Cheers for the link.

Last edited by daviddanut; 05-22-2012 at 06:27 PM.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 05-22-2012, 07:02 PM

Neil Gaiman is a legend.

I'm finishing off Enchanter's Endgame by David Eddings, while waiting on book 4 of Song if Ice and Fire to be delivered.

And waiting eagerly for Red Country!
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 05-22-2012, 07:18 PM

#4 wasn't my favorite, but it was certainly good.

I'm currently finishing up #5 and it is AMAZING!
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 05-22-2012, 09:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to apache

Being classic: Harry Potter. Comfort reading during my exam period, helps me relax and sleep. Preparing myself to storm the Tolkein books over the summer though.

NZXT Lexa S
    Intel Core i5-4670k
    Corsair GS700
    MSI H87-G43
    Corsair Vengence 8GB
    XFX DD Radeon HD 7870
    Kingston 240GB HyperX 3K SSD
    1TB Segate Barracuda
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by apache View Post
    Preparing myself to storm the Tolkein books over the summer though.
    My plan exactly.