You know it's time to upgrade when the average prebuilt comes equipped with one. Yes, an SSD is now the bare minimum storage device for any budget. What used to be a luxury is now available in many capacities and prices to meet any budget. No one likes to spend more money than they have to. That's where we come in.
When they first appeared on the PC scene the solid state drive was very much a luxury item, and even then capacities of 250GB seemed like extreme extravagance. Now the SSD is almost an expected component of a proper gaming PC.
And gone are the lowly 30-60GB capacity SSDs too, with even a 120GB drive looking like a miserly amount of space for your Steam library. For less than sixty bucks you can now pick up a 240GB SSD which will outperform even the most expensive drives of just a few years back.
If you’ve already checked out our guide to the best SSD then you’ll already have an idea what you’re after, but if you want them for the absolute best price then allow us to help…
Capacity - 120GB | Patriot Burst | Interface - SATA | $40
- The discount gets a little bit deeper on Patriot's burst series drives this week. The 120GB version makes for a perfect entry into the world of solid state performance.
- You'll be hard pressed to find a better deal on a performance SSD in the 240GB range at the moment. The Kingston A400 is a budget oriented drive with a price to match. Right now you can save a decent chunk over at Newegg.
- Samsung's new 860 Evo series drives bump performance slightly from our previous favourite, the 850 Evo. The increase is certainly not worth an upgrade from the previous generation but with a lower MSRP, there's no reason to go with the 850 series.
- With the long running sale on Samsung's 850 series over, Crucial's new MX500 takes the two highest capacity spots in this week's deals. Being the cheapest doesn't always make it the best deal but with improved performance over the previous series, it's hard not to recommend the MX500.
- Crucial's new MX500 series drives manage to outperform the MX300 and they do it for less money, providing the best value for 1TB drives. The new series even extends the warranty by two years.
We've picked out our current favorite solid state drives and have put together our best SSD guide which details both the overall best SSD around as well as the best budget SSD as well as the best high-end SSD.
And here are the best prices we've found for them around the web today:
“The ideal SSD for a gaming PC strikes that perfect price/performance/reliability balance, and Samsung’s 850 EVO SSD manages this, and then some.”
“With an affordable SSD, like the BX100, larger capacities are a more realistic prospect.“
“If you’re building the ultimate rig, and want the very best possible performance in any situation, without worrying about the cost, then it’s the 850 Pro you should choose.“
A note on affiliates: some of our stories, like this one, include affiliate links to online stores. These online stores share a small amount of revenue with us if you buy something through one of these links, which help support our work evaluating components and games.