Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 02-23-2014, 10:44 PM

Default Reviewing some gaming mice. Need help choosing one.

Ok I ordered 3 mice online to review.
    [LIST][*]Razer Deathadder 2013[*]Logitech G400s[*]Mionix 8200[/LIST]
    Ok I used all 3 mice for the whole day and bit more. I played games like Counter-Strike GO and Day of Defeat Source. I also played some Pay Day 2 and a little bit of Dayz Standalone.

Razer Deathadder 2013 I like this mouse a lot. I used to have the 3500 one with the slick plastic sides. I did not like the old mouse only because the sides would get gunk in the cracks of the side buttons. Really dirty mouse. So the new 2013 deathadder should be fine since it has rubber side grips. I noticed that the thumb has a nice groove for my thumb, but there was no good place to put my ring finger or pinky. The arch of the mouse is much higher in the palm rest too. This arch combined with a much bigger design, was just too big for my hand. I have a medium size hand with shorter finger length. I tried to claw grip this mouse and that was the only way I can control this mouse. But it was just too big and it would hurt my hand after a while.

Logitech G400s I used to have a G9x. Love that mouse. So I thought I would try another Logitech mouse. I notice for the price of this mouse the materials seemed a bit cheap, and there was no LED's on the mouse. It has a wonderful egg shape which I like. And the grooves for my thumb and ring finger line up perfectly. You can definitely palm/claw this mouse with ease. And this mouse doesn't have a braided cable like other mice. The optical laser is on par with the Deathadder and I found the Logitech software simple in a good way. But unfortunately my G400s came with a inconsistent left mouse click. The right click feels responsive and needs to be press effortlessly. But the left click needs to be pressed more firmly and doesn't have that fluid mouse click like the Deathadder and the Mionix.

Mionix 8200 Right off the bat I noticed this mouse has a nice ergonomic design. It fits so nicely in my hand and I felt like you can claw it just fine too. The mouse has a nice smooth rubber coating on the entire mouse. The mouse wheel was firm and scrolled a bit stiff but did not bother me. The mouse clicks are perfect. Just 100% perfect pressure needed to click every button on this mouse. But unfortunately the software was giving me some problems. I have a completely different mouse feel on my desktop then I do in my games. I need to crank up the DPI to the 5k and add acceleration to a 5 in the software to move it normally on the desktop. But when I get into the game my mouse is way too sensitive. Then I test the mouse again by ignoring the desktop "feel" and just set my DPI normally which was 1200dpi and 0 acceleration speeds. I loaded into the game and it was perfect in game. The mouse performed flawlessly. It tracked smooth and it felt good in the hand. I did get better results in FPS games using the egg shape design of the 400s. But the Mionix just feels nice and looks well built. I contacted Mionix support and submitted a ticket about the issue. But I won't hear anything probably until monday.

So right now I am considering 2 mice.
    [LIST][*]Razer imperator 2013 edition[*]Roccat Kone Pure Optical[/LIST]
    I am not sure which one of the 2 I want to get. I am leaning more on the Razer side because I really don't mind the Synapse 2.0 software. But I loved the Deathadder but not the design. But I am worried that the imperator will be too big?

I like everything the Kone has to offer on paper. But I never bought anything from Roccat before. And I am not sure on it's longevity.

Any help or feedback would be great guys. Thanks in advance.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 02-23-2014, 10:55 PM

so you tried 3 mice and then are deciding between two totally different ones?

with a mouse the best mouse is the one that feels good in your hand, it's hard to tell someone what the best mouse is as what fits one person's hand can be uncomfortable for another.

for another suggestion tho I would say look at the RAT line of mice as depending on the model they have different levels of adjustability so you can make them quite comfortable for most hand sizes.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 02-23-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    so you tried 3 mice and then are deciding between two totally different ones?

with a mouse the best mouse is the one that feels good in your hand, it's hard to tell someone what the best mouse is as what fits one person's hand can be uncomfortable for another.

for another suggestion tho I would say look at the RAT line of mice as depending on the model they have different levels of adjustability so you can make them quite comfortable for most hand sizes.
    Yes I tried the 3 listed there. But the 3 did not meet my expectations. So they are going back to the store. But I think I will hold on to the Mionix 8200 to see if I can get the software to work. If the software worked I would of chose the Mionix.

But I do want to try one of the 2 mice I also listed. Razer Imperator 2013 and the Roccat Kone Pure Optical. Not sure which one will fit better in my hand.

Edit: Oh, and the Rat products seem cool, but very pricey in my opinion.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 02-23-2014, 11:18 PM

I love the Deathadder 2013 and think its the best mouse on the market. I have a mouse fetish and own over half a dozen and rotate them around all the time but the DA 2013 is the one that stays on my desk the longest and most often. The feel and the precision of the sensor is just superb.

The G400 I dont like as much. Never could get a comfy grip on it especially with my pinky. Felt like I was always looking for a place to set it. Quality wise, I have no problems with mine so you might have just got a bum one.

The new Logitech G602 looks very interesting. I felt one up at Best Buy last weekend and really liked it. I might wind up with that eventually.

I havent tried the Mionix so I cant really comment on it.

Check out the SteelSeries Sensei too if you liked the G9. Its a lower profile mouse like the G9 and might be good for you. The G700 is my 2nd favorite mouse which is weird cause I dont like taller mice like it or the G500 but its so ergonomic that it works well for me.
    • Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB
    • Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD
    • Western Digital Blue 1TB x2
    • EVGA Supernova G2 750
    • HP 2509B @ 1920x1080
    • Corsair Carbide 500R
    • Corsair H100
    • BlackWidow Ultimate & DeathAdder
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 03-01-2014, 06:23 PM

I'm a big fan of Razer mice. The laser sensors and light weight really make them excellent for gaming. Only problem is that they seem to have a short lifespan. I still have my original Xbox 360 controller and microphone and yet in the same time on my computer I've gone through one of the Razer keyboards, a copperhead, a Naga, and now I have the basic one, the Abyssus, which I actually like the best although it is still too wide like the Naga in my opinion. The Logitech mice definitely have better ergonomics. Overall I don't think you can go wrong with Razer or Logitech. Both make excellent products.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 03-02-2014, 12:54 PM

What is better, laser or optical? Or does it not matter?
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 03-02-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MYTHIK View Post
    What is better, laser or optical? Or does it not matter?
    they are more or less the same thing, just the higher DPI stuff is normally tagged as laser due to people associating lasers with accuracy.