Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 08-11-2010, 01:35 PM

Default Prot warrior having no luck with fury off-spec. halp?

I'm a pretty okay prot tank but I'm running into severe trouble with my off-spec. I picked fury pretty much for the spectacle of Titan's Grip ( the "Two 2h weapons?!?!?!??!!" was a beautiful feeling), but I'm running into trouble actually doing good DPS. My DPS is much better when I'm tanking - I've usually got too much rage, and I've been tweaking my Prot talents to cut down on that.

Over in the DPS spec, I never have rage. There just aren't enough straight-up "hit the guy" abilities that aren't on cooldown after I've opened with a few attacks.

So lately I've been wildly experimenting with my spec, going more into Arms to get Deep Wounds and so on, or retreating from the other trees and spending everything in Fury, putting points in Tactical Mastery and seeing if I can switch between stances.

I'm just not feeling it. [URL="http://www.wowhead.com/talent#Lhrc0bZhxe0V0uMeRVkVo"]Here[/URL] is my current talent tree for DPS, but again, this is wild experimentation. ([URL="http://www.wowhead.com/talent#Lhrc0fhZhxe0VbuMeRVkVo"]This[/URL] is where I was planning on going with that, but something's wrong and I'm doing worse dps than my last spec)

I'm also still branching out from my tank gear - about half of my gear switches when I change spec, and I'm always on the look out for damage gear. Does anyone have fury tips? Good rotations, spec, a particular stat I should focus on while I'm levelling to 80? Should I just say fuck it and go Arms? What other information do you need to help me?

I'm a level 72 undead warrior on Steamwheedle - the name is Enric, if you fancy adding me. I did have a level 25 paladin in the guild at one point called Jazmeister, but he's probably been booted. Must! Reach! 80!
    Ut för svaga kristna blod!

Last edited by Jaz McDougall; 08-11-2010 at 01:39 PM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 08-11-2010, 02:15 PM

Hi jaz
    I haven't played a warrior at end game but I have a decent idea of how they work (in theory!)

The standard level 80 Fury dps spec is:
    [url]http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LG0GzfhZhxe0V0u0eRVkAo:MGooMz[/url]

Obviously you arent level 80 yet, but my advice would be to get all the Fury talents found here, and then start working your way into the arms tree

Fury dps uses a relatively simple "rotation" which goes like this:

Bloodthirst -> Whirlwind -> FREE GLOBAL COOLDOWN -> Bloodthirst -> FREE GLOBAL COOLDOWN -> FREE GLOBAL COOLDOWN -> Bloodthirst -> Whirlwind etc etc

The first free global cooldown won't be of much use to you because you don't have 4 pieces of the Tier 10 warrior armour set, so don't do anything until Bloodthirst comes off cooldown again

The SECOND free global cooldown is used if you have a BLOODSURGE proc. Bloodsurge gives you an instant Slam (it will have no cast time). If you have a bloodsurge proc, use it in your second free global cooldown. If you don;t have a bloodsurge proc, you can use sunder armour, execute, or Deathwish.

More advanced fury warriors sometimes switch into battle stance during the second and third free global cooldowns, so that they can get the REND bleed effect running. This is quite tricky however and only yields a small damage increase so don't bother until you are comfortable with the basics.

As you can see, there will be times when whirlwind and bloodthirst are on cooldown, and you have no bloodsurge proc - these times you might not be doing anything in, this is fine, and part of Fury dps.

Heroic Strike is where it gets more complicated. I am not sure if you know of the mechanics of heroic strike and the way it uses rage, but generally, never use it unless you have more than 50 rage, and even then be sparing. Think of heroic strike like an accelerator pedal. You can Heroic Strike more if you have excess rage to burn, and you can ease up if you are becoming rage starved.

Those are pretty much the basics of it really. Rage as Fury is normally very good, however, as ever with warriors, it depends very much on your gear. Level 80 raiding fury warriors can probably fill their rage bar entirely in one or two swings, meaning they can spam heroic strike pretty much all the time, and have almost infinite resources to do damage with. Lesser geared warriros need to be a little more careful.

Hope that is in some way helpful!
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 08-11-2010, 04:29 PM

Hi mate My off spec is fury warrior i had a fair amount of problems at lvl 80 to start with trying to dps. while your still leveling there is not much you can do about this but i did find that stacking hit rating and expertise did help slightly.
    Also try to avoid haste rating as its not brilliant for warriors in general always prioritise critical rating over haste.

Obviously once you get to 80 it will start to improve i found within the space of a week with various bits of gear it jumped from 4.5 to 6.5k dps. if your ever in doubt there is always the guild you can ask as there is far better dps warriors in there then me.

Or you can check out [url]http://elitistjerks.com/f81/[/url]
    Elitist jerks is aimed more at lvl 80 raiders but you can definatly learn the basics to do with talents glyphs and rotations from here. they also keep the information updated regularly

hope this has helped out mate.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 PM

Thanks guys, this is a great help.

I really want to get to 80 - it's the first time I've been close and still interested. My wife Lisa levelled her hunter, Oríon, to level 80 before we transferred to Steamwheedle, and I followed her most of the way until we hit 60 and then I stopped playing WoW (I think I had to review Star Trek Online and Siege of Mirkwood back to back or something and just burnt out on MMOs for a bit).

This time she's levelled a priest through to 60 and I've joined her on the road to 80.

I love tanking 5-mans of an evening, and I've never had a really serious wipe because I couldn't hold aggro (mostly it's just being a noob and not knowing there's a mob group behind /this/ pillar that you need to clear before the boss, etc). I know about heroic strike and, like I said, I never have a problem with rage in prot spec. Too much, really. I was thinking of losing some more rage-conserving talents, but that's for another post.

Fury is just a mystery to me because I hate standing around doing nothing. Anyone tried Arms? Is there a good one for levelling? I'm doing okay levelling with Prot to be honest. Sometimes Lisa tours around with me on her priest and bubbles me while I pull tons of mobs out of group and that speeds things up.

As for that spec you linked Cataclysmic, is that for PvP? I'm seeing a few stun-resist, free-movement talents that I would have spent on charge and so on. With the 3 points in Tactical Master and the 2 points in charge, You can write a macro that charges and switches stance (and says, "For pony!") in the same breath to start off a battle with 25 rage in Berserker stance, and the first hit will take me up to 50ish maybe.

I did have the instant slam talent for a while, and it was good. I was trying to see if it could fill the hole in my rotation but it's not as good without the instant thing. :C

How do you feel about cleave? I get some great crits with that. I think I have the glyph of cleaving in both specs - certainly my prot spec - and it's always felt like it was working.
    Ut för svaga kristna blod!
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 08-12-2010, 07:12 AM

No it is a raid build
    The stun resist talents are fillers, and as fury you won't be using charge much anyway - you'll be using intercept

Heroic Fury (The free movement one) is a nice filler talent which could save your life in a raid. Generally as fury in raiding rage won't be an issue so most fury warriors don't need the extra rage from imp charge

Glyph of cleaving is great for levelling and will be a dps boost in early dungeons and heroics
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 08-12-2010, 08:15 AM

The best / fastest levelling spec right now for warrior is Prot, so stick with that. I would save Fury until your 80 and you can concentrate on getting a nice raid build and the gear to be expertise / hit capped for future raids.

If your looking to level in instances until your 80, then your set with being prot and your gf being a priest, you will get into them a lot quicker as most groups have to wait 10 min+ to get a healer and tank.

Once your 80, take a look at this great video guide for Fury spec [URL="http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?57781-Wotlk-Fury-Warrior-Guide"]http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?57781-Wotlk-Fury-Warrior-Guide[/URL]. That will tell you pretty much all you need to know to do decent dps.

Last edited by Zerne; 08-12-2010 at 02:45 PM.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 08-17-2010, 04:23 PM

Firstly I HATE FURY, thats out the way, its just /faceroll isn't it

Person to really ask in guild about Fury spec is Bitterdue as he's the all knowing regarding that, but he's never on now, never seen hin for a while anyway.

Unfortunatly for you i'm main specced arms as i find it more involving(more to think about regarding rotation and when to use).

In tank spec, more rage is good for you, you can never have enough.

As a final note on this arms v fury debate i'll conceed fury is better for endgame pew but for someone to suggest its easier....pffft...you try and maintain threat below tanks, with no threat reducing talents
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 AM

Come on warriors, Jaz is asking for fury leveling tips, not end game raid nonsense. We must have a warrior around here somewhere, probably chewing on a hunk of raw flesh.

All I'll say is if you're doing decent dps as prot-spec, even when you're not tanking, I wouldnt worry too much about a fury build.
    I'm no warrior, but from how i understand it the way the rage mechanic works, until you have shiny gear, and maxed hit/expertise, rage generation will be limited, especially when not in a dungeon as those gaps between pulls just drain your rage away.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 AM

Ok fine

I am levelling a warrior and have tried all 3 specs, I found Arms did the most damage, Fury had serious rage problems and Prot was generally the most well rounded, able to tank instances, pull 6+ mobs my level and kill them with ease, and put out nifty damage when soloing as well.

To be honest, if your main concern is fast levelling, go prot. If you want decent levelling speed combined with being able to do dps in instances, go arms.

Arms has much fewer problems with rage at lower levels than fury does, due to having lots of talents which boost rage generation such as Unleashed Rage and Anger management. My advice if you want to level as dps would be to find a massive 2 handed weapon and swing it into people's skulls as arms spec
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 08-18-2010, 03:17 PM

IMO Arms is really a better spec for leveling and low gear levels.
    It is much more involved than fury with more button pushing (if that is your thing)
    Fury really comes into its own once your gear gets better.

When I switched my warrior from Arms to Fury the one think I really missed was the mobility, you can ping around the place a bit more as Arms.

(Mobility is another reason Prot is so much fun in PvP BGs - your like a pin ball)