Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Starcraft II

#1   Report Post  
    Old 09-28-2010, 02:30 PM

Default How to play Zerg

Hello people. cMal here i guess.. uhh, i just wanted to help you guys out an tell you roughly "How to play Zerg". Not alot of people like to play zerg because they are very spammy, they require a lot of micro and macro but once you learn the main fundemants of playing Zerg you'll have no trouble beating people and getting a few wins. Thanks to vitensby for showing me how to play Zerg, now i'm passing my knowledge to you.

Anyway, lets get started. Okay, when you play Zerg the main way you should play is with a passive aggressive playstyle. One of the biggest advantages that the zerg have is to expand your economy faster than the other races. You can fill these expansions up with workers from other hatcheries while the other races only have one building that can build one worker at a time so you should play in a style that contains your enemy, denying him resources and not giving him a chance to expand while you are expanding your economy size and wait for the big battle that will decide the outcome of the entire game. Instead of going for the quick win, you should be able to say yourself, "I can win this game anytime i want, yet i choose not to."

When you attack you need to attack for a specific purpose for example, Taking out an expansion that you did not see when you were scouting, or taking out a certain portion of his army then retreating, eg. Taking out the collosi or the thor. Since zerglings are proved to be the fastest units in the game this is very achievable. Don't push too hard into the enemy territory just use your units for a small goal or really just don't attack at all. If you take a small victory; Expand. Many zerg players sometimes find themselves victims of their own aggressive playstyle, they fight those small battles but end up losing in the long run. The Zerg don't go toe-to-toe with the enemy over and over again, it masses units to fight an incredibly large battle that will determine the outcome of the game where you can just outmass them and i think that if you play with these things in mind you will definitely win more games. So that's basically the zerg's philosphy but now your asking.. well whats the zerg strategy?

A very important part in the zerg strategy is expanding. The Zerg thrive on the ability to grow your army, lose it and then replace it in an instant. This is an advantage that the other factions DO NOT have. But what the other factions DO have is the ability to replace units that are lost from the smaller battles faster. For example, its early game and you lost your small army of zerglings and he loses his small army of marines. He can replace it quicker than you because you need to use larvae to make more zerglings instead of drones for your economy. Another advantage the zerg have is flexibility. For example, i could build one spire, one hydralisk den and i can now make those units at any one of my hatcheries. This is a massive advantage. Use this advantage to switch your strategy in an instant. For example, fast teching to mutalisks then switching to ground units with a flick of the wrist or vice versa. Don’t let your strategy be set on one thing, evolve it as the game progresses. Other sides get stuck into a more all in approach. As an example think Terran need starports and barracks and factory’s vs 1 building and a whole lot of creep expanding hatcheries.

So your strategy should be focused on what will give you the ability to have an incredibly large economic advantage and help you grow your army the fastest so you can pump out massive amounts of units and if you lose them? No problem you can just build them again. So your strategy can have the purpose to wear down your opponent over time or completely overwhelm him. Zerg create massive amounts of the same units as opposed to massive amounts of the same units AND crucial clutch units, such as sentries, medivac, siege tanks. If your strategy is to wear down your opponent all you have to do is focus on killing these crucial units over and over again and then retreat. If your strategy is to overwhelm the opponent then you should do the same but in a manner that will buy you time. Such as using mutalisks to constantly harass these units and worker units.

Thanks uh.. for reading? Please post any comments if you disagree, this isn't my work. Vitensby showed me how to play the zerg and now i'm posting it here.

Edit: I will be continuing this later with the main elements of scouting and harrasment since they are somewhat different.

"You can't tell me to get a life.. i'm a gamer... i have thousands of lifes.

Last edited by cMal; 09-28-2010 at 06:03 PM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 09-30-2010, 04:50 AM

This was very helpful. I admire the Zerg's adaptive playstyle, it seems to fit me more, it seems.

PC Gamer Game Club
    Game of the Week - Amnesia: The Dark Descent
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 09-30-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mythic View Post
    This was very helpful. I admire the Zerg's adaptive playstyle, it seems to fit me more, it seems.
    Thanks ^.^ I'm adding a bit more very soon on how to harrass and scout as zerg as it is a little bit different from other races.

#4   Report Post  
    Old 09-30-2010, 04:15 PM

Uhh, hey guys. Just continuing my How to play Zerg with the tips for scouting and harrasment.

[SIZE="3"]Scouting[/SIZE]

Early Game – In the early game you should use your zerglings to constantly scout the map for enemy positions. Split your first ling spawns to the zel naga watch towers. Leave one at your opponents natural expansion and 1 just below his ramp area. Often you should run that ling up the choke point to size your opponent’s army and see just what he has a lot of at his choke point. You can and often times should scout with your drone, usually best on maps where you dont know where your opponent is and your overlord didnt scout him on the first spawn point path.

Middle Game – Upgrade an overlord to an overseer and utilize the changeling ability and/or upgrade your overlord speed and scout their base. With the speed upgrade you don’t have to worry as much that your going to lose your unit.

Late Game – Scouting late game consists of keeping zerglings at every possible expansion point while scouting the island expansions with your upgraded overlords.

[SIZE="3"]Harrasment[/SIZE]

Early Game – Speedlings are your best unit of choice. Speed banelings are also really nice. If you scout an opening in a terran wall. Run your speedlings straight to their worker line. Do not engage their army this is purely a mission to destroy as many workers as possible.

Middle Game – Mutalisks Mutalisks Did I mention mutalisks? This unit has a glaive (3 unit jump) attack that can easily pop units instantly. Use a small swarm of mutalisks to pressure your enemy worker line and pick off stray units. Burrowed moving roaches can also be effective but watch out for detectors.

Late Game – Late game harassment would consist of using your numbers to spilt your force/lure them to one spot only to destroy their other expansion.

#5   Report Post  
    Old 10-03-2010, 07:21 PM

This is very nice n all, but you sorta copy and pasted this, none of your own editing because if i did this i would edit small parts.

Also, iv already posted about vintensby, look around the threads and you'll find it.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 10-03-2010, 11:27 PM

Its still a damn sight easier to read, all put together here.

It helps newcomers, which is kinda the point.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 10-04-2010, 03:57 PM

I was only saying, its already on the internets, and FYI, vintensby also more or less copy and pasted most of it.
    Just stating the fact, not to say the guide is useless, iv took one or two points from it on my first read a few months back.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 10-05-2010, 07:25 AM

Shouldn't play Zerg anyway. Aren't they the enemy?
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 10-05-2010, 03:19 PM

Order of aweomseness, Zerg>Protoss>Terran.
    Order of skill to play effectively, Zerg>Protoss>Terran.

#10   Report Post  
    Old 10-05-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quango View Post
    Shouldn't play Zerg anyway. Aren't they the enemy?
    Well if you look at it from a mentality aspect, the Zerg have basically been branded the "bad guys" in all the Starcraft games, despite the fact that several chapters has you playing as them. People don't like playing the "bad guys" because they think the "Bad" might rub off on them or something, or perhaps it may be just an aversion to Zerg for being so "bad".

Personally, I think I might switch to Zerg. I suck at Terran, and I have even less of an idea with Protoss.