Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#11   Report Post  
    Old 06-13-2013, 09:03 PM

OK well basically I have never fiddled with the BIOS before.

I have changed a setting here there, for example I was originally in a RAID set-up and found that I need to change a few things in the BIOS to reinstall Windows and separate the drives up.

But thats about as far as my knowledge goes.

Which in your opinion would you say is the simplest?

I will figure out now whether i need to update it or not.

Thanks.
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 06-13-2013, 09:14 PM

I have just checked through CPU-Z I will ned to update it when I put the new card in.

I won't do it now as I don't need to I just hope it all goes smoothly as it will be my first time.
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 06-14-2013, 03:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to PatchRowcester Send a message via MSN to PatchRowcester Send a message via Yahoo to PatchRowcester

Quote:
    Originally Posted by weirdacidman View Post
    OK well basically I have never fiddled with the BIOS before.

I have changed a setting here there, for example I was originally in a RAID set-up and found that I need to change a few things in the BIOS to reinstall Windows and separate the drives up.

But thats about as far as my knowledge goes.

Which in your opinion would you say is the simplest?

I will figure out now whether i need to update it or not.

Thanks.
    For me, updating it through Windows was the easiest. It was literally like installing a software. Nothing different. It does depend on the utility that your motherboard manufacturer is supplying.

My suggestion is to figure out a way to update the bios before you get the GPU. That way, when you get the GPU, you could plug it, update the drivers, and you are good to go. I always recommend to do the prep work first.

It really isn't all that difficult. Literally took me 20 minutes to figure out the whole thing, and I have never updated my motherboard bios prior to this.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2013, 08:13 AM

Ok I was reading about it and thought that would be a good option (to install from windows) im starting to think it really isnt that hard if you have "computer common sense" which is why I think there so many warnings around updating the bios because alot of idiots attempt it and fail .

But yes after reading im not too worried about doing it now.

I will literally buy the card and install the bios there and then just before i put the card in so.

So hopefully things will go smoothly.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2013, 01:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to PatchRowcester Send a message via MSN to PatchRowcester Send a message via Yahoo to PatchRowcester

Quote:
    Originally Posted by weirdacidman View Post
    Ok I was reading about it and thought that would be a good option (to install from windows) im starting to think it really isnt that hard if you have "computer common sense" which is why I think there so many warnings around updating the bios because alot of idiots attempt it and fail .

But yes after reading im not too worried about doing it now.

I will literally buy the card and install the bios there and then just before i put the card in so.

So hopefully things will go smoothly.
    Yeah, that's not a bad option. Let us know how it goes.
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2013, 02:21 PM

you have to upgrade the bios to upgrade your graphics card? thats the first time I've ever heard that, I normally just stick a new card and it works, as bios updates are generally just controller or CPU support list tweaks so shouldn't make a difference to a graphics card since they all run on the same standard and all version of PCIe are backwards compatible.
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2013, 03:31 PM

Yes but the communication between the motherboard and the card will kick into a cycle of rebooting without the upgrade.

So I have no choice really.
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    you have to upgrade the bios to upgrade your graphics card? thats the first time I've ever heard that, I normally just stick a new card and it works, as bios updates are generally just controller or CPU support list tweaks so shouldn't make a difference to a graphics card since they all run on the same standard and all version of PCIe are backwards compatible.
    That's exactly what I thought too, until I installed the GPU and all sorts of nonsense started happening. Even then, a BIOS upgrade never entered my mind. I thought there was something wrong with the GPU.

My wife suggested I try the BIOS upgrade, and when I did, everything was working flawlessly. Also, the BIOS on the MB was well over a year old at the point, so upgrading was a good idea anyway.
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatchRowcester View Post
    That's exactly what I thought too, until I installed the GPU and all sorts of nonsense started happening. Even then, a BIOS upgrade never entered my mind. I thought there was something wrong with the GPU.

My wife suggested I try the BIOS upgrade, and when I did, everything was working flawlessly. Also, the BIOS on the MB was well over a year old at the point, so upgrading was a good idea anyway.
    strange considering how old the athlon 64 was I stuck my 470 on before I upgraded my CPU and having it work no problem.
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    strange considering how old the athlon 64 was I stuck my 470 on before I upgraded my CPU and having it work no problem.
    Yeah man, who knows what changed with the 780 that was causing problems with my existing BIOS.

It totally sucked the fun out of owning an awesome new GPU that day. I mean, I come home, the package is waiting for me, I was all excited, and then the damn PC wouldn't even boot to begin with.

I had to do all sorts of troubleshooting. 4 hours later, after finishing the BIOS update that I sat down to play a round of BF. It was a good feeling, but, I very nearly sent the card for RMA. Thanks to the wife for suggesting a BIOS upgrade.