Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Magazine and site talk

#11   Report Post  
    Old 10-16-2012, 04:19 PM

Why are we arguing about consoles on PCG? The PC I built when I was 15 (roughly six years ago) was more powerful than the XB360 and PS3 and is likely more powerful than whatever garbage the WiiU has ticking inside of it. The PC I just built recently is probably going to be more powerful than a PS5 and XB1080. We are PC gamers men, act like them. Leave these arguments to the rabble and lets get back to discussing the pros and cons of DirectX vs OpenGL.
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 10-16-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by contrapositive View Post
    Leave these arguments to the rabble and lets get back to discussing the pros and cons of DirectX vs OpenGL.
    so the difference between the PS3 and Xbox graphics engines? as for the PC you had at 15 being more powerful you must be young as the PS3 has a heavily modified geforce 7850 in it that it hasn't really used for years as they could get more power using the cell chips.
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 10-16-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    so the difference between the PS3 and Xbox graphics engines? as for the PC you had at 15 being more powerful you must be young as the PS3 has a heavily modified geforce 7850 in it that it hasn't really used for years as they could get more power using the cell chips.
    Uh...no. I'm just about 21. The original PC I built had two 8800GTXs in it with a heavily overclocked C2Q6600 @4.0ghz. I later replaced the GTXs with a GTX 285 when it released. So yes, the PC I had at 15 was better than a PS3 which came out when I was 14 (or 13?). And no I wasn't talking about XB vs PS graphics APIs (lol! graphics engines? Sure you actually belong on this site?) I was more talking another famous rivalry, one fit for this site. Like...oh I don't know...Windows and Mac OSX? Yeah, don't reply to a comical post trying to drop a knowledge bomb on me like you actually know something. You're going to get destroyed.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 10-16-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by contrapositive View Post
    Uh...no. I'm just about 21. The original PC I built had two 8800GTXs in it with a heavily overclocked C2Q6600 @4.0ghz. I later replaced the GTXs with a GTX 285 when it released. So yes, the PC I had at 15 was better than a PS3 which came out when I was 14 (or 13?). And no I wasn't talking about XB vs PS graphics APIs (lol! graphics engines? Sure you actually belong on this site?) I was more talking another famous rivalry, one fit for this site. Like...oh I don't know...Windows and Mac OSX? Yeah, don't reply to a comical post trying to drop a knowledge bomb on me like you actually know something. You're going to get destroyed.
    so yeah I go back to what I said you are young, a PC you got when you were 15 a year after the PS3 came out if it wasn't more advanced you were really doing it wrong, my last few phones have been more powerful than the PC I had at 15, so really the PC you had when you were younger means nothing more so when it is newer than what you are comparing to, it's basically like you stating you built a top end PC this year and it's more powerful than the top end PC from last year.

as for you saying openGL Vs DirectX is a fitting topic, not really when nearly every game is made for DirectX and a very very small number actually support OpenGL making it a pointless topic, unless you compare it between the consoles as the PS3 is always openGL and the Xbox is always DX. windows and mac is pretty much the same you have the choice of windows or a system that can't run the majority of games. so really both those discussions are pointless as you don't really have a choice, you play with what the developer will let you play with.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 10-16-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    what the hell is a intel power 7? do you mean a power PC chip? as those are made by IBM and the one in the PS3 is a long long way from a standard power PC chip, hell even the 360 chip is boosted by the tech used to create the Cell.

as for the GPU it's all good and well having a beefy GPU if you don't have the CPU to calculate all the movements to create the positioning data to be sent to the GPU so it can be rendered on the screen, this is why most newer games are quite CPU intensive on top of being GPU intensive it's all about balance, I could put a GTX680 on a PC with a old dual core, the PC would run but it would still run like crap in games compared to a PC with a CPU that can handle it.

either way most of the big developers have came out and said it is less powerful including the likes of EA and Activision, stating it makes it harder to make games and that it still can't have cross platform games with the PS3 and 360, so while it is close behind at the moment next year the new PS and Xbox are meant to be announced so it seems its just another case of one step forward and two steps back.

Nintendo their self have stated numerous times they are not aiming for the tripple A market and they are not aiming for the hard core market who demand power, they are aiming to market accessibility, they have even said multiple times they are not in a competition with any other format.
    Yes I am talking about a Power PC chip and the Wii U also has a GPGPU in case you didn't know is a GPU that is capable of performing tasks normally reserved for CPU effectively freeing up the CPU's workload and where on Earth did you hear that EA and Activision said that Wii U was less powerful than 360 and PS3 can you give me a credible source?