Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

    Reply
     
    Thread Tools Display Modes
      #11   Report Post  
    Old 09-17-2012, 08:50 PM
    Belimawr Belimawr is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Posts: 14,604
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Megazell View Post
    Back in 1988 and 1989 the early forums where saying the same thing about F2P. Memories

    -------------------------

    I believe subscription models are on the decline and this is a good thing for PC Gamers. Enjoy!
    no offence to you mega but I do hope subscription models stay in some form offering a form of segregation, as unfortunately free to play tends to attract the biggest dicks on the net as they can generally do what they want if they get banned what have they lost? some time? at least with a subscription based model it do restrict these people somewhat as they actually lose money.

    so yes free to play may be growing but there is still a space for subscription based, infact I know more people who would quit a game if it went free then people I know who would start play or keep playing if it went free. by paying you generally get better support and a better community (admittedly there will always be cocks in every community) as it keeps away the kids who want to do nothing but ruin the game for everyone else.
    Reply With Quote
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 09-18-2012, 04:16 AM
    Megazell Megazell is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Where the shadow of Fort Apache linger.
    Posts: 3,155
    Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    no offence to you mega but I do hope subscription models stay in some form offering a form of segregation, as unfortunately free to play tends to attract the biggest dicks on the net as they can generally do what they want if they get banned what have they lost? some time? at least with a subscription based model it do restrict these people somewhat as they actually lose money.

    so yes free to play may be growing but there is still a space for subscription based, infact I know more people who would quit a game if it went free then people I know who would start play or keep playing if it went free. by paying you generally get better support and a better community (admittedly there will always be cocks in every community) as it keeps away the kids who want to do nothing but ruin the game for everyone else.
    Dicks are going to be dicks no matter what. I've been in retail/sub MMOs and F2P for a long time and the only time I see difference in the player base is when the game has a low population and everyone seems to be friendly and helpful and/or dying in which ppl are truly just enjoying the last of the days on said game.

    I mean I hear what you saying but communities have a lot more power these days to shut down asshats in games these days. So while I can understand the apprehension when P2P games go F2P, I think it's unwarranted.

    Any game that has online and allows public play will experience jerks on a massive scale due to the anonymity of it all not to the actual subscription model. What stops jerks cold is active communities and active mods (9/10 are volunteer users in subs and f2p mmos) that put the kobosh on nonsense quick.
    Reply With Quote
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 AM
    Aever Aever is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2012
    Posts: 397
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    You forgot EVE, also in a way Runescape since the last time I checked that only charged you £3 to £5 a month which is much more managable.

    Steam seems to have proven that making games cheaper nets more profit so why not try the same for subs? Make an MMO that is more original and charge £5 a month and I would be much more likely to play it.
    OK, you have a point and I should probably amend my answer to the OP.

    Yes, you are right EVE survives as a sub based MMO, but that is because it is pretty much unique. Add 10-15 similar games, out of which 10 are f2p and you will see things changing dramatically. EVE is basically in the same position as WoW was when it started, it has the market to itself. Why does it have the market all for itself after so many years? Because it's a niche market and those don't attract much competition.

    Your second point could also be valid ... although it raises the question of "how much is enough?". We were asked to pay subs so the devs could continue creating content. 15 euros, multiplied by God knows how many WoW accounts are active, gives you a pile of money, hence you can deliver the promised content. 5 euros, for a much smaller player base ... will it be enough?

    Last edited by Aever; 09-18-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    Reply With Quote
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 09-18-2012, 12:21 PM
    Daniel Daniel is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: People's Repuplic of Treacle Mine Road
    Posts: 3,963
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aever View Post
    Your second point could also be valid ... although it raises the question of "how much is enough?". We were asked to pay subs so the devs could continue creating content. 15 euros, multiplied by God knows how many WoW accounts are active, gives you a pile of money, hence you can deliver the promised content. 5 euros, for a much smaller player base ... will it be enough?
    You could say the same thing about charging cray low prices for games on steam but the data supposedly suggests more money is made this way since the number of purchases goes up enough to cover the price drop. Not saying this would be the same for a sub mmo but it might happen.
    __________________
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
    Reply With Quote
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 09-18-2012, 02:22 PM
    Megazell Megazell is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Where the shadow of Fort Apache linger.
    Posts: 3,155
    Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aever View Post
    Because it's a niche market and those don't attract much competition.
    >> Bingo! <<
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Tags

    f2p, mmo

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump