Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2011, 08:44 AM

Default Prot Warrior Rotation

Hi guys,

I recently started tanking as my Warrior Barricadé when i hit 70 and i just need some advice to see if my rotation is good enough for threat and CC in cata.

- Charge
    - Rend
    - Thunderclap
    - Devestate
    - Shockwave
    - Demoralising Shout
    - Cleave
    - Rinse and repeat

Anyone got any tips or better rotation i can try, i find this ok, but ive noticed that alot of toons with heirlooms destroy my threat fairly quickly... not looking at anyone in particular *cough* magi *cough*
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 AM

Doesnt shield bash or revenge feature in your rotation? I thought (i'm sure Urumqi will correct me if wrong!) that they were major threat generators. I think you should be careful with thunderclap/cleave as it breaks CC (not sure if it does now?)

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2011, 05:46 PM

Shield slam and revenge are very high priority. Revenge cleave is always worth having. In terms of levelling tanking shield slam is nice, but you'll be doing a lot of aoe tanking for a long time, which pushes it down the list a bit. In terms of breaking CC I wouldn't worry about that until the Cataclysm content. Shockwave as often as you can, ensuring it hits everything it's supposed to. Thunderclap is ok, but it takes a fair few mobs for thunderclapping to be more efficient than tab target tanking. The glyph of sunder armor WILL add a cleave effect to the sunder component of devastate, but not its damage. This will still cause threat on the second target. I ran with that and the glyph of cleaving while levelling my warrior to 80, although I haven't really played him much since Cata hit.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2011, 05:52 PM

I have levelled a warrior as prot from 1 to 71 so far. It's been really good fun. There are two tanking rotations one for single target and a second for multiple target. The rotations are detailed at elitistjerks.com

[url]http://elitistjerks.com/f81/t110315-cataclysm_protection_warrior/[/url]

Btw I would suggest anyone leveling a warrior do it as protection. Instant dungeons, great dps and awesome survivability.

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012

Last edited by Bimble; 01-25-2011 at 05:59 PM.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2011, 07:20 PM

Rotations are for nabs!
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 02-01-2011, 05:43 PM

Sorry guys apologies for that, ofc shield bash and revenge feature, but i just meant the initial pull... mibad
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 02-02-2011, 10:32 AM

If you are talking about the initial pull of a group of mobs, be careful with Charge. In Wrath it might be ok, but it will do you good to practise how you will be tanking at higher level - so that the jump from WOTLK to Cata content won't be as jarring for you.

In Cataclysm, alot of dungeons have big pulls, patrols and also lota of mobs closely packed together (I'm looking at you Heroic Stonecore pre Ozruk). In these cases you will almost certainly be using CC, and it is almost always adviseable to pull with the CC and tank the remaining mobs further back. If you polymorph one mob and Hex another on a pull, and then you as a Warrior charge in and start shockwaving and thunderclapping to get aggro on the other two mobs, you will probably end up breaking CC, which could easily cause a wipe on some of the nastier heroics.

I am not sure whether you have Heroic Throw yet, but once you get it, make friends with it. Learn to use your ranged weapon to pull one melee mob from a distance, and then quickly heroic throw a caster, to silence him and get him running to you, not the other way round.

This form of pulling is much safer in Cataclysm, and wil allow you to drag a few mobs back to a safe place while others are CCed. If you are running with a Druid, you can also use Roots as a CC on melee mobs if you pull back, as you won't be in melee range of it.

On my paladin in an instance with big 5 mob pulls like Throne of the Tides, I will frequently get CC on two mobs, then Taunt 1, Avenger's Shield another and Judge a third, giving me abit of aggro on three seperate mobs and getting them running to me.

You can do a similar thing as a warrior, use a ranged weapon on one mob, heroic throw a second and then use taunt on a third as it starts getting close - any extra mobs can be CCed at your leisure. This is often much safer than charging in wildly on trash pulls. Charge comes into it's own on positional boss fights, where you need to quickly close the distance without the boss moving too much out of position - an example of this is Sartharion in Wrath of the Lich King, but a more currently example might be the aforementioned Ozruk in Stonecore - who you will ideally want to tank in the little tunnel behind him - by all means use Charge here, as it gets you into melee range quickly and prevents him running out of the tunnel, which can lead to irritating repositioning on a boss with some very nasty positional abilities.

Hope that's helped, I am not 100% 'au fait' with the exact warrior threat rotations but, practising pulling from a distance is extremely valuable and will stand you in good stead for later content.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 04-18-2011, 01:22 PM

Wink

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cataclysmic View Post
    You can do a similar thing as a warrior, use a ranged weapon on one mob, heroic throw a second and then use taunt on a third as it starts getting close - .
    ...and if your a Goblin, throw in a rocket also
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 02-02-2011, 02:06 PM

1. Heroic Throw/charge depending on the situation
    i specced Gag order so my Heroic throw silences if its a caster

2. Revenge whenever it procs

3. Shield slam (large threat)

4. Heroic strike(Single target)Cleave(multi target) hits relatively hard so a nice amount of threat

5. Devastate its completely pants now is should only be used as a Filler. if your struggling with rage don't use this.

If your single target tanking you don't need to use Thunderclap every CD just use it before it drops off

If your AoE tanking then you probably wont be range pulling so charge Rend Thunderclap Shockwave. While Shockwave and thunderclap is on CD use shied slam and Revenge.

Demoralizing Shout use every 30 seconds but if its a caster mob/boss its a waste of a Global Cool down

Some people Tend to use Rend Single target but i only do on Bosses not all the time

THERE IS NO ROTATION for Prot Warriors now its just a priority list more then anything
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 02-05-2011, 06:06 PM

Youve pretty much written what I do lol
    Glad to see I'm not full of fail