Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU)

Closed Thread

#1   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2010, 09:48 PM

Default The social side!

Hey guys,

First up I wanna say sorry about moaning on the guild chat instead of raising an issue here like an adult. I'm trying to make amends.

A number of people have spoken recently about the lack of focus with regards to events being held by the guild. I'm trying to coalesce our thoughts into a well structured post which highlights what we'd like to see change, if at all possible.

I'd like to clarify that in absolutely no way am I asking to attend the two main raid groups as a plus one, nor on Team Win when they form up at reaching 85. Raiding is something I'm happy to do on a lazy sunday afternoon but its not my focus in the game.

Currently there is nothing going on in the guild for the vast majority of the players in it. We plink away and level up our chars yet we have no fun activities that we did a year ago. I'm really asking for us to move back toward more guild orientated events. In fairness, I spoke to Chewwie about the frankly demoralising calender of just Team Epic and Awesome events and we formed a nice Cata dungeon farm on Saturday, at least 30 or so signed up, and whilst only 20 turned up we got some people through dungeons for the first time and I had a lot of really enthusiastic whispers saying how much fun it was.

I'd love to see us showing new people the old content, Gruul, Sunwell Plateau, the weird naga place in BC, Ulduar, Naxx even the Lich King. I am happy to lead these groups, and I'm acutely aware we'll wipe despite being 15 levels higher than the intended content, but bearing in mind we can respawn I don't really see it as an issue.

Aside from raiding there is a whole host of stuff we could do, which does not require huge amounts of planning. PCG zerging the fishing event on a sunday, PCG carolling around orgrimmar (I will not let my carolling idea die!), PCG facerolling the alliance leaders, PCG going to gurbarashi arena for that weird trinket that drops. These are all off the top of my head and I'm sure we'd get ideas from other guys too.

So all I'm asking for are some social events. If the leaders are going to achievement grind then fair play to them, we each play the game for different reasons, its just mine, and a lot of others differ from that and currently nothing caters to what were after.

Apheni.

I'm really aware this could well be interpreted as a flame, and its not, its just an attempt to express how many people in the guild feel. Please if this thread sparks emotions (and i'm sure it will) then refrain from posting as the worst thing that could happen is it gets locked. Also a comment of "just leave" completely misses the point, I'm not asking anyone to change the way they play their game just a healthy respect for the other people who play and appreciation that playstyles vary. I have no desire to leave, guild chat is full of banter, people are generally very helpful and i have a lot of friends here. Ignoring constructive criticism seems counterintuitive when we are asked to post in the forum with our issues.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2010, 10:05 PM

I think everyone knows where i stand in this, and im not a parrot, so all i will say its, i agree with apheni 100%
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2010, 10:05 PM

I hope it doesn't seem like PCG's fun activities are squarely in the past. We've had various events over the two years we've been running and just because there's nothing on the calendar doesn't mean there's nothing planned, or that nothing will take place in future. The guild awards, which took Darieth quite a while to put together, was just ten days ago. If the message you're sending is that you want more of that, then great. "Nothing caters to what we're after" just seems unfair given all we've done so far and intend to do in future, but we can't organise something unusual every night.

Also, remember where we are. We're exactly one week into Cataclysm, the most game-changing expansion to WoW so far. Everyone, including the officers, is levelling up, figuring out the revamped world and looking to their own game for the time being.

We already have a number of events on the drawing board for the new year. Remember though that they take time to organise and we have our own goals in the game as well as RL lives to lead. Please be patient, and remember that there are hundreds of non-officers in the guild who may also have great ideas for events or activities. Please help out by making specific suggestions to add more interest to the game for the whole guild.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Also, remember where we are. We're exactly one week into Cataclysm, the most game-changing expansion to WoW so far. Everyone, including the officers, is levelling up, figuring out the revamped world and looking to their own game for the time being.
    Sums it up pretty much for me. Give it time - there have been numerous events throughout the year.

It's not like people dont ask off the hop if you want to do AQ20/AQ40 from time to time, I believe Akee organised a few classic raiders about 3/4 weeks prior to launch of the expansion. Hell even i picked up my dusty feet and attempted to lead a few 80's into AQ20 the other week because they'd not seen it. We've done numerous city raids/classic/TBC content throughout the year.

I think Karb has summed it up pretty well - taking the initiative and doing something about it = Doing stuff.

You also have to understand that at the end of wrath the guild was predomintely raiding because the vast majority of players wanted to get Arthas down. It was catered for with raiding pretty much every night.

I'll defend the officers - i think they do a solid job.

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2010, 10:11 PM
    Insane Moderator

I have suggested in the past that we have "Social Officer's". People more designated to goto for events and help in general, placing events on calander's and leading them, allowing the majority of "Raid Officer's" their free time ingame, to plan and work on their teams rather than having to be bogged down by more mundane event's they have probebly done a lot of already.

This would allow some great events to be added for rep grinds, like Tauramon did before Cata for example.

So can I throw this suggestion back into the hat again.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2010, 10:14 PM

Lightbulb

Apheni,
    First, thanks for posting a well thought out artcile about something that we as a guild can do.
    Second, thanks for moving this from gchat. Emotions run higher in green text for some reason...

I agree that the guild isn't just raiding. It's just that to those that don't raid or come up with and promote social gatherings, thats what the guild seems to be. As that is all that's posted on the calendar.
    As you've suggested, there are a fair few in gchat this evening who want to do more social things with the guild rather than raid.
    And as you've said, this is fine.

Now, onto more general things. Please note, these are not directed in anyway towards anyone or are demeaning about anyone.

My suggestion, a craft fair, according to those who've been in PCG longer than me (basically pre-Ulduar) have said that we had one a while back. Not only will it help with the guild achieves ([url]http://www.wowhead.com/achievements=3.15080[/url] ) but it will help those levelling alts and such.

Weedode suggested a Vash'Jir Sea Horse race, and thats not a bad idea either.

Slash has said the officers have stuff in the pipeline.
    I have a suggestion too about this. We, as members of PCG, get up off our backsides and actually do stuff!
    We can all make suggestions, we can all post threads and talk in gchat. We have our fantastic officer corps(es) to lead us. I'm fairly sure they'd like to see us taking some initiative.

So here's me, taking the initiative:
    Give me time to see if I can get a clear day, then I will see about talking to our crafters and gatherers, maybe make a guild competition or something out of craft materials gathering.
    Then, we have a craft fair.
    Those who need to level a crafting profession get priority for the mats they need to skill up, then those items made can be distributed to those that need them, and money for them can either be paid to the gbank, or the recipient can pay it back by crafting something for the giver?
    How does that sound?

PS Sorry for the threadjack and wall of text!

Dum spiro spero - While I breathe, I hope.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻(Link)
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2010, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I agree Ross, it's a bit bold of me to say there is nothing going on, so consider that point retracted.

I think Olgit has a point, we would benefit with officers just posting on behalf of others, or maybe create a rank below for that sort of thing (totally not sure how the guild promotion system works).

Karbin has some excellent ideas, I love crafting and think its not only a great way for people to level, but also a great way to get some goodies in the bank for people too. We could couple it with a harvesting session around cata as well, ok its a solitary thing but nothing a bit of light Ventrilo banter couldn't spice up considerably.

I'd like to see a "Welcome Bilgewater to the Horde Day" I remember Teem with a great event where us oldies boosted a whole host of new joiners for their first few levels, given that we're all making a goblin at some point in the near future then this is something everyone benefits from!

I can see your point, we're all levelling right now. However most of us have actually reached 85 as of today, and I see the start of the new expansion a perfect point to expand our guild into other areas. Most of my friends in guild are old members from the days of Naxx, and I attribute this to the simple fact we just did tonnes of stuff together! How nice would it be for newbies to know the experienced peoples and make friends with the old timers.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2010, 11:03 PM

OK, taking on board what Ross and Olgit have said, I second (third?) the creation of an events officers rank. Even if its just to post events.

On that note, I've posted in the tradeskills forum, [URL="http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4973"]here[/URL] with some ideas for the craft fair.

Dum spiro spero - While I breathe, I hope.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻(Link)
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2010, 11:22 PM

the other option is, if you have something you want to do and can think of a time and people to come try setting it up your self, I know this sounds harsh but as the guild is the size it is you can't expect the small number of officers to do events for every single person each week. it's the same with the raid groups (akee made a post about it a while back) but if you have an idea for an event and think you can get it going if you ask a officer they will put it on the calendar and give you access to your event through it and also promoting it to everyone who looks at a calendar.

you don't need to be a officer to run an event, if you have a good idea and can organise it the officers will post it to the calendar for you.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 12:27 AM
    Insane Moderator

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    the other option is, if you have something you want to do and can think of a time and people to come try setting it up your self, I know this sounds harsh but as the guild is the size it is you can't expect the small number of officers to do events for every single person each week. it's the same with the raid groups (akee made a post about it a while back) but if you have an idea for an event and think you can get it going if you ask a officer they will put it on the calendar and give you access to your event through it and also promoting it to everyone who looks at a calendar.

you don't need to be a officer to run an event, if you have a good idea and can organise it the officers will post it to the calendar for you.
    That's exactly why I suggested having a seperate officer position, who has nothing to do with main raids, but is willing to act as an "Ambassador" of sorts, to PCG and it's member's. A point of contact to stop regular's going to Klog's and Darieth's of the guild, to allow them to play in peace for a change, so they can push forward, promoting our guild as a raid leader, whilst those social players, who came to the guild, because the magazine said we are a social guild by Tim's own word's in the official WoW magazine and are being represented and heard, whilst having fun with event's, that us top end guys have done a lot of, over the years.

The position should also be about bringing in the new player's, making them feel welcome, helping them along with occasional quest's, giving advice, doing bank request's and being a "Big Brother/Sister" for a few weeks, to help them settle, whilst fullfilling the need for social event's, lower event's and/or rep grind's, fun event's that have nothing to do with major raids, like running in wedding dress's across the land etc.... for the pure hell of it.

It's a representative that everyone in PCG should know and trust, which should be everyone's first point of contact in the officer ranks.... but it really needs people who have more patience than I could muster in three lifetimes. This person doesn't need a lot of "gizmo" power's etc, just the ability's and respect to be approachable, to officer's and member's, a willingness to stop what they are doing and help others. Plenty of people willing.... but not all worthy as we know, but the officership should know a few people by now who could easily fill this roll and appease the ever increasing disidents among PCG.
    Closed Thread