Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Raids and Events

#1   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2010, 06:44 PM

Default LFG 5-man Cataclysm

Apologies if this post is placed incorrectly as it refers mainly to 5 man dungeon runs. I'm just going to give a minor problem, a potential solution and a brief explanation along the way. But I'm not really sure how many of our players actually read the forums enough to pick up on my suggestion; hopefully it is something that can work.

Problem: I like to run dungeons and heroics with guildies as often as possible but I know all too well how easy it is to miss a random dungeon suggestion in /gchat. And what with my being a dps class (lock), it can often be challenging to find a group; especially as we have large numbers of strong dps players who are trusted and preferred (nothing wrong with that). Since obviously spamming guild chat or whispers for a group is (can be) annoying, so, my solution...

Solution: We have a dedicated channel on the realm like /PCGChatter that exists solely for grouping. I propose this be called /LFGPCG (liason for goblins playing card games). It would be fantastic if as many high level (as in experienced and known in the guild) players could use this channel as possible to really give it credibility and see it reaches its potential.

When I log on, I don't know what I'm going to do and having this utility would really help. If you think otherwise, please open the debate here. All in favour say Aye and join the channel, or just join the channel and don't say anything if you wish to reach a silent accord.

Right click, create channel, drag: For anyone that is unaware, you have a lot of options controlling your chat windows such that a single window can be reduced to a line of text and dragged to an inconspicuous location where you can set the text to any colour you think'll catch your eye. Alternatively you can join and leave channels by setting up simple macro commands. Obvious to many I know, but I've been asked. You can join any chat channel whether it exists yet or not by typing /join *text* replacing the text within the asterisk as the channel name.

Thank You.

Kelzy

Remember "don't hate, debate!"
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2010, 08:10 PM

you do know if you want to do a 5man dungeon you don't have to wait fore someone else to start it.

if you make it they will come.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2010, 09:13 PM

The idea of a seperate chat channel is a good one - we used to have a PCGraid channel 18 months ago - the trouble is getting people to use it.

Ideally any non-wow chatter (and wow-chatter that goes on and on about a particular subject) should be moved to PCGchatter or a whisper converation from guild chat to enable those dungoen requests and other questions to be seen more easily - but that's a tricky thing to monitor, let alone enforce.

Anyway, if I remember i'll join lfgpcg and see how many peeps start to use it
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2010, 09:13 PM

I see now you've said that I've not made myself clear. (ref Belimawr)

Whilst certainly I can start a group, I am then forced to spam guild chat for a while until I have all the required members, or join the dungeon queue at some point. Often times it is a case for me of 'is this happening now?' or 'is the group starting, but the dungeon an hour away?' and there is nowhere to indicate that kind of information so it must be discussed. To debate it in guild chat is fine if it's quiet but as I'm sure you know, if there are one or two other conversations in flow it really isn't convenient.

Other solutions might be vent, but that is not used widely enough, and individual whispers which between 4 other people and possible more contending slots it is just a pain to manage.

Having this channel will filter all guild chat regarding looking for dungeons, which often in my view gets lost in the stream of other chatter and makes reams of whispers, or premature group joining/dropping unnecessary.

This is nothing to do with not being proactive enough to start a group, but a way to facilitate those proactively starting a group.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2010, 09:14 PM

Thanks Akee, I kinda wish more people would use PCGChatter too really :P
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 12-16-2010, 07:38 PM

Good idea of a new channel as it is so easy to miss shouts in gchat.
    May I suggest one small change. Call the channel PCGLFG as then it would tie in with the other channels PCGraid and PCGchatter
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 12-16-2010, 08:43 PM

This sounds like a good plan. I know there have been a number of smaller channels devoted to our healers, I think there was a warlock/spriest chat going on for a while, there's PCGChatter and maybe others about hunter pets or something that I'm not concerned with.