Fan-made Star Wars Battlefront successor blocked by EA, LucasFilm
Work will continue by “pivoting away” from Star Wars.
Keep up to date with the most important stories and the best deals, as picked by the PC Gamer team.
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
The ambitious fan-made revival of Free Radical’s abandoned Star Wars: Battlefront 3 has been cancelled.
In June, FPS Frontwire Studios-creators of the unofficial Star Wars- announced Galaxy in Turmoil had been given the go-ahead from Valve to be shared for free on Steam. In a blog post shared on the Frontwire website yesterday, however, company president Tony Romanelli confirmed LucasFilm has issued a cease and desist order halting development immediately.
“On Wednesday June 22, 2016, we received a letter from Lucasfilm requesting that we halt production of Galaxy in Turmoil with any Star Wars related IP at once,” says Romanelli. “Rather than laying down at the first sign of trouble, I requested a meeting with the Lucasfilm executives to discuss our project and to find some common ground to work with. Honestly, I didn’t expect too much negotiation to occur. But much to my surprise, executives at the top of Lucasfilm agreed to meet. A week later, that meeting took place.”
Romanelli explains that although LucasFilm were “open to the idea” of working out a Star Wars-related license deal with Frontwire, its contract with EA does not allow it. He says that the latter’s concern lay with the possibility of Galaxy in Turmoil “taking away attention from their Battlefront franchise.” He in turn suggested the idea of putting Galaxy in Turmoil behind EA’s paywall, but this was also rejected.
Although keen to stress the fact he and Frontwire have no hard feelings toward LucasFilm or EA, Romanelli goes on to discuss what the future holds for Galaxy in Turmoil.
“Our highly publicized project as you have come to know it will no longer be a Star Wars game inspired by Battlefront,” he says. “Upon speaking with Lucasfilm, they informed us that they have no issue with a Battlefront inspired game that is not using the Star Wars IP itself. Regardless of what some have said, all of our code, sounds and many other non-Star Wars assets have been created in-house, which means they are indeed owned by us.
“Going forward, Frontwire Studios will be pivoting away from Star Wars and embarking on a mission to create a new, original game in a never before seen universe. Our game will still have massive 64-player battles, ground-to-space combat, destructible capital ships, and a full single-player campaign. We will also still be releasing Galaxy in Turmoil on Steam as planned and it will remain a free game.”
Keep up to date with the most important stories and the best deals, as picked by the PC Gamer team.
The full Galaxy in Turmoil post can be found this way, which includes some pretty neat, although now unusable, concept artwork.

