Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 07-20-2010, 04:07 AM

Default Hunter stuffs

So ima leveling a hunter, And what spec should I use? What pet should I use? what heirlooms should i use, as in the weapons apart from the bow?

Lev

Last edited by Klogaroth; 07-20-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Removed daft formatting
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 07-20-2010, 06:12 AM

It won't be the fonts that'll put hunters off, it's that you've used words of three syllables.

Simple answer is whatever you want. The presence of a pet and ranged combat, plus being naturally epic, means that levelling is easy whatever you do. But if you want to be all optimum and shit:

BM is probably the easiest levelling spec, as it best allows your pet to keep aggro and stay alive. Once you get volley and your pet gets Thunderstomp, mobs cease to be relevant. With a heavy mm or surv levelling spec, your pet won't keep aggro unless you use a ferocity pet and single target, and even then it's hairy. So that's not particularly efficient, but on the plus side you will learn to kite quicker...

You can level with any kind of pet, especially in BM. But tenacity pets have the best survivability and aoe threat. Warcraft Hunter's Union suggest using a ferocity pet (wolf, cat or devilsaur) because they do enough damage to hold aggro off you. That may not take imba heirlooms into account though, and they don't have as much survivability. Of the tenacity pets, most people seem to prefer bears, but it doesn't really matter. Crocodiles have a nifty ret aura-style ability that reflects damage for a short time, turtles have a shield that's very useful for tackling elites. Don't really know what the others are like. Check out Petopia, it's brilliant.

For heirlooms you might as well use two balanced heartseekers, though Dal Rend's sacred charge is good too (BM benefits slightly more from AP, and if you want more stamina while levelling, you could take that). Repurposed Lava Dredger is excellent for a levelling hunter, but you can't use it. Poo.

More experienced hunters may chuckle when I say that I took Improved Concussive Shot while levelling after noting that Steady Shot did more damage to dazed targets. With that, I could get two steadies (three while hasted) on the target while dazed. I still got to 80 in about two weeks. Which goes to show that whatever you do as a levelling hunter, you're still completely imba...
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 07-20-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leviethan View Post
    [FONT="Arial Black"] So ima leveling a hunter, [/FONT] [FONT="Comic Sans MS"] And what spec should I use? [/FONT] [FONT="Impact"] What pet should I use? [/FONT] [FONT="Book Antiqua"] what heirlooms should i use, as in the weapons apart from the bow? [/FONT] [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] Hope these different fonts confused you [/FONT] [FONT="Times New Roman"] Enough to so you prob wont answer now [/FONT] [SIZE="7"][FONT="Verdana"] Thanks for answers (if you do) [/FONT][/SIZE]

Normal font

Lev
    Just plain pisses me off the above does.

In answer to your question..

BM is a pretty easy spec to lvl as all threat is put to your pet and its survivability rather than you. Personally i prefer bears to lvl up with as they have decent threat, armour. They eat everything to keep happiness easy peasy (although if glyphed this is not really an issue).

Survival is probably the other spec i'd take due to explosive shot being a rather decent mob killer, but i've preferred this as 80 in an instance where i'll take a wolf as furious howl is the better buff to provide. Raptors in theory provide decent dps. If you stick with BM in instances a devilsaur will be a decent pet to take due to monstrous bite.

gear wise i personally took herods shoulder, would have taken the ancient bone bow as it's dps is pretty comparable with others in NR until you obviously start raiding. I didnt take it because i was content on spending stone shards on other alts that were far lower level.

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 AM

the best way to level hunter is BM, if stuff is hitting your pet and it can survive you should have no problems, as far as the comment above about bears having more armour they normalised all pet stats so any tank pet will have the tank talents making it work. I use to like worms the only problem is they are an exotic pet but the armour reduction did tend to be quite useful .
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 07-20-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    the best way to level hunter is BM, if stuff is hitting your pet and it can survive you should have no problems, as far as the comment above about bears having more armour they normalised all pet stats so any tank pet will have the tank talents making it work. I use to like worms the only problem is they are an exotic pet but the armour reduction did tend to be quite useful .
    thats what happens when you still play and fail to read the patch notes...

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 07-20-2010, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, guna keep my raptor for now then, also, sorry bout the fonts, it was late and i was bored.

Lev
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 07-20-2010, 10:35 PM

I don't have much time Lev, so I'll be be brief. Try everything. Each of the 3 specs and all pets, then choose what you prefer. Try not to settle into whichever is easiest (invariably this will be BM) - this will hurt you later on and especially when you start raiding.

Hunter solo strategy is so very different to raiding strategy. Don't fall into the trap which most hunters do (I did it): BM right to 80, then joins raids. You'll be worse than useless imo and know very little about your class. Sooo... read around and try lots of different things and you might avoid the trap that most huntards fall into. xD

If you want to know absolutes (as in facts and figures) about choices are best I'm happy to provide them. I've been thinking about doing a guide but haven't had chance. Plus, it will be focussed on 80's which won't help you atm. xD
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 PM

yeah lev, as chew says when you can it's worth getting dual spec, from the random dungeon finder coming in to level 80 on Beli I was speced BM and Surv, so I could solo level BM but was also running random's as survival letting me learn how to play that for end game. it was a good way to learn as in BM a lot off your DPS comes from the pet, but as survival/MM it relies a lot more on your efficiency with using your skills at the right time., also in both Surv and MM you will have multiple extra shots that you will need to work out when to put them in.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 07-20-2010, 11:35 PM

Yeah, of the classes I've played to high levels, hunters require the most relearning of your class once you get to 80 (though I forsee a similar kind of disconnect when I get my mage to 80 and have to dump my cherished frost levelling spec to get into raids). BM is a very different paradigm to surv and mm, which is probably why the three specs are rarely balanced in terms of raid dps. The most useful endgame technique you get out of BM levelling is probably aggro management, whereas survival and mm will teach you more about managing procs and cooldowns and maintaining dps on the move.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 07-21-2010, 12:06 AM

Thanks for all the great advise guys, and i know how useless BM spec is in raids (example, Mr tetanus shot) so might go for ditch BM around 55-60ish then grab surv/MM if im poor (which i probs will be) and just hope i can kill everything fast enough.