Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Minecraft > US Server

#1   Report Post  
    Old 09-17-2012, 08:00 AM

Lightbulb The Shatter Bowl!

Pics forthcoming!

I'm working on a new team-vs.-team arena for the US server, where the objective isn't just to kill everyone else but to gather a suit of golden armor and haul it back to your team's starting point, then scale a ladder, hit a switch, scale another ladder, and race for the finish line.

The arena itself will be split into three sectors, each of which consists of four zones:[LIST][*]Elements (fire, water/ice, wood, and stone)[*]Eras (Western, futuristic/sci-fi, urban/modern, and medieval)[*]Environments (tundra, jungle, desert, and mushroom)[/LIST]
    Teams' starting points are spread out around the arena's outer wall, with a chest containing dyed leather armor in the team's color (these aren't necessarily important beyond having some kind of armor; also, yes, this is intended for 1.4).

Players who die aren't eliminated from the game. Rather, they respawn in a spire high above the arena and must find an unused exit to drop back into play (used exits will be blocked off); team members who die at the same time may use the same exit and the same time. PvP is allowed in the spire. In addition, as exits are used, lights will go out, meaning mobs will spawn inside the tower, so you'll need to get out fast.

Breaking and placing of blocks is forbidden, making this an Adventure map.

Once this arena is finished, I'll be looking to hold a game or two in it on the US server. I'd also like for players'/teams' points of view to be posted on YouTube.

What's more, I'd like to be able to provide prizes for the game. Steam games are probably the best option for this, but I've dropped a good chunk of money into the [URL="http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20954"]obstacle course tournament[/URL] already, so any gift copies of games that folks could donate to this would be five kinds of amazing.

So, who's in?

EDIT: Later information has rendered some of the above obsolete. Be sure to read the entire thread, please (plus there are pictures below)!

Last edited by Twentydragon; 11-08-2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Adding a title.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 09-18-2012, 06:09 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to JTJdude

Pics or it didn't happen.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 09-18-2012, 10:29 AM

Behold! Pics!

This is the central spire and the surrounding zones as they stand right now. I'll be posting more pictures as they progress. Remember, you'll all start around the outside of the arena, but the spire is where you'll respawn:

Yes, you're seeing that right. That's open air right in the middle of the tower. If you goof up and move too much while trying to drop back in, you'll just splat against something and have to try again.

Here's a closeup of the spire's skeleton:

You'll spawn at the top of this spiral structure, and you'll have to run around and down it to find an open exit. Again, PvP and mobs will both be issues inside here.

This is what an open exit looks like:

Note that it lights up the surrounding area. This means that you'll be able to easily tell when you're approaching an exit. ... At least at night.

The leap of faith:

I do mean literally that you'll have to drop back into the game. It's about 100 blocks or so down, so if at first you miss the water... die, try again.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 09-18-2012, 10:30 AM

This exit's already been used:

There's a mechanism inside that makes you block it off when you use it, though there's nothing against letting your teammate in or reopening it on the way out...

Enjoy these little morsels. More to come later.

(inb4 What texture pack is that?) I'm using the McKnack Pack. A quick Google search will steer you right.

Last edited by Twentydragon; 09-18-2012 at 10:32 AM.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 09-20-2012, 09:27 AM

I'd like to encourage folks to start thinking about who they'd like as a teammate (and talking to them about it, of course) so when signup time comes, nobody's surprised to have been volunteered. (I'll be refereeing the first game at least, so that excludes me from consideration for a bit.)

If you want to play but don't have a team by the time we get started, I can randomly pair you with someone else who doesn't have a team. This will be first come, first served, so if there's an odd number the last one will be on his own, or if there aren't enough spaces, teams will get priority (very unlikely scenario, methinks).

In addition, please post comments, suggestions, questions, theories, and fanciful notions to this thread. While I am working on this locally on my own computer, I definitely want you guys to have a voice in it as well, and I don't want to be limited to just my ideas.

With school, a part-time job, a business I'm trying to start, and a minor injury I hope will heal up soon, I have no idea when this will be completed. Right now I'm aiming for February, and that might be a bit ambitious (especially if you know how long my previous build has taken, even with loads of help), but that's my goal.

The actual games will hopefully begin sometime in summer 2013. With any luck, 1.4 will have been released, Bukkit will have gotten fixed, the current server rig will have been upgraded or replaced, and/or a separate host will have popped up so our antics don't lag the everloving crap out of the rest of you guys (though I am considering allowing spectators somehow...).

EDIT: UK server folks are welcome to join in on this, too! This is not just for the US server!

Last edited by Twentydragon; 09-20-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Inviting UK folks.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 09-25-2012, 08:16 AM

Le bump.

I haven't been able to work on the map much, as I've been way too busy with what was supposed to be a team project, and my partners weren't exactly helping much with the research so I had to do pretty much the whole thing grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble NARF
    Anyway, now that that's out of the way, I should be able to provide more screenshots of the arena's progress.

Now, just because I haven't been placing blocks, that doesn't mean it's not still evolving.

I've pretty much decided that making you guys search for 81 gold nuggets is far too dickish, even for me. So instead, the game master (this will be me for the first run) will hide sixteen full suits of golden armor in chests, at the ends of challenges and scattered around in plain sight.

Now don't go thinking that it's gonna be easy or anything. Most of these challenges are going to be very difficult, such as making your way through a series of catwalks while trying to avoid creepers and their spawners, or remembering the numbers on a sign you walked past half an hour ago. That kind of thing.

While PvP isn't quite the purpose of this map, it's certainly going to be embraced. PvP is allowed everywhere. There are no safe zones.

Ah yes, and I've added several simple but rather deadly little surprises for you.

So if you're looking for a very intense Minecraft experience, stay tuned! More screenshots are on the way!

EDIT: Again, please comment! I need your feedback!
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 09-27-2012, 12:03 AM

Holy crap that sounds awesome. Im def in. and ill make Pilot join too :P id ont care how long off this might be, i want in!
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 09-27-2012, 05:07 AM

Here's the layout of the zones as I currently see them:

You may notice I've changed some of the zones around and have dispensed with Sectors.

Teams are color-coded and start on the outer wall, high above the central arena floor. They'll have to make their way down a treacherous pathway through their Elemental zone, to make their way to a related Environmental zone.

Within all these zones will be dangerous and difficult challenges, along with your opponents. These challenges will all award you something useful if you succeed, though the penalty for failure should make you think twice about rushing in with swords waving.

There will be sixteen full suits of golden armor, scattered all over the arena. These can be destroyed, so there may be missing pieces when the game ends.

This arena looks to be about 1,000 blocks in diameter, and there will be a LOT to explore, both above and below ground. So, again, this may take me quite some time to complete. I'll give you a "much more better" estimate as I get closer.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 10-12-2012, 09:24 AM

[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][SIZE="4"]It's time for another update!

Here's the obsidian spire, with the outline of the entire corridor winding its way up:

This outline shows 13 layers, or roughly 52 exits. Remember, each time you die, you'll respawn at the top of the tower, and you'll have to make your way down the corridor to an unused exit. If all of them are used, there's one last exit at the very end that doesn't close.

Here we see the respawning zone:

Inside each team's spawning room will be a chest containing several full sets of colored leather armor. Using it is not required, but it may come in handy. The specifics of this setup ensure that no team has a significant advantage over any other when respawning.

When you drop into the pool of water there, you're looking for this:

This is the start of the corridor and the only sharp corner in it. The rest is a gentle corkscrew around and down. Repeatedly.

More details when I got 'em! In the meantime, your comments, questions, concerns, and conspiracy theories are appreciated (they might even make it into the map)!
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 10-19-2012, 12:13 AM

[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][SIZE="4"]I'd like to also provide each player with a modified version of their skin to show team color. So if you've already decided what color you want, please let me know so I can get a head start on those.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Tags

arena, contest, pvp, shatter bowl, tvt