Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 08-16-2012, 02:12 AM

Exclamation Kickstarter abuse?

Is it just me or does every small budget company, indie scene, YouTube celebrity have a kickstarter?

Honestly within the past few months, I've seen countless people begging for money.
    The other day I watched a great two episode animation on LOTR, it was sort of like The Guild ( if you have ever watched that )

Well.. They stopped making it and are asking for 70,000$ to make it a full series, with professional voice actors ect.. What was wrong with doing it how it was? Whats wrong with doing something because you love it? Its fun?

All we want is more and more money, but to the point where our free time work should be rewarded with cash?

Just like youtube. This blows my mind, that they are actually getting paid to upload videos. And then ask for money? All these Lets Play's and more, just trying to be a sponsored channel, for some cash.

1: I know its your money, and there's nothing wrong with wanting money, But I think this is heading down the wrong path..

With all the SOPA, the DRM, Kick starters, a down economy, and the talk of a upcoming crash.. Sponsors out the Wazoo, EA, and much more.

I just don't see good things coming for the pc community, or the internet as a community in whole. I mean what starts happening when Big company's start asking for a Kick start?

What if we are paying for the development of a game, and then forced to buy it? What if we have to fund the right to buy the game, or even fund them to put it on a platform?

Looks like Xbox 360 and the PS3 Community pulled together for enough to get it, but sorry PC. We did not receive enough from the community to think it would be worth our time.

Hell, we are already seeing these kinds of things!

Last edited by thehiddencheese; 08-16-2012 at 02:19 AM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 08-16-2012, 09:40 AM

No ones forcing you to put any money into a Kickstarter project. Kickstarter is a great way of not only funding something but more importantly getting recognition that the project exists and marketing it.

Projects, not just gamers, are getting funding which they otherwise couldn't get especially in this cash strapped age.

The level you enter at decides what you'll get so you know if you'll get the game, book, movie etc that you are funding.

People seem happy to pre-order things which is really no different to funding something as you still have no physical product until it gets to you.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 08-16-2012, 12:33 PM

It's called patronage. It's what we had before copyrights, and it is capable of letting really talented people make pretty things; people that enjoyed patronage in the past have been known to produce the odd thing thats worthwhile :[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mona_Lisa"]A picture of a pretty lady for example[/URL]

And regarding the big publishers going to a kickstart model - well, that's great. Why? Because it then means they can throw any ideas they want out and add extra backing to the ones that get the best response (whilst still making any that make their target), as opposed to now where it's a case of "Well, we know X will sell, so lets throw all our money at X, and ignore Y & Z altogether" - there are quite a few francises owned by big publishers *cough*EA*cough* that are gathering dust that could get off the ground again via a kickstarter campaign...

Followz me on ze twitterz - @ctrlphr34k
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 08-16-2012, 02:37 PM

Probably just because it's new. As long as the ridiculous ones keep on getting only low amounts, like $10 which is what one got, then eventually people will stop using it unless they have a genuinly good idea.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 08-16-2012, 02:41 PM

to be honest I wish more big firms would do the kickstart type thing, the problem with gaming at the moment with gaming is the publishers/developers need the backing of investors, most investors wont invest in games they think wont sell, so a kickstart style thing shows people are interested in the IP and the interest generated also shows the usual investors that the game would sell, meaning they can get more investors and fund a game that would of otherwise got no backing.

as for the random crap ones such as youtube channels (or the one posted here a while back to open a wiki) have always been around and they always will be as long as people are stupid enough to pay for it, dwarf fortress is a prime example of this, if the creator releases new content people give him money, if the creator doesn't release content for a long time people do fund raising drives to get the creator to speed up.

so simple thing is as long as there are stupid people willing to part with their money for next to nothing, people will use systems such as this to take money from them.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 08-16-2012, 03:36 PM

Might start an audacious kickstarter to buy EA and give it a good sort out.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 08-16-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    Might start an audacious kickstarter to buy EA and give it a good sort out.
    I will pledge my life savings.

Of £52.84
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 08-16-2012, 09:10 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 3rd Element Studios

Interesting post but believe me there are some indie PC/Mac gaming company's like ourselves that will be using Kick Starter to probably pay for a decent animator to help us complete our game as we're stuck with the default UDK skeleton.

So that money we recieve will go back into helping us develop the best game we can for PC gamers.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3rd Element Studios View Post
    Interesting post but believe me there are some indie PC/Mac gaming company's like ourselves that will be using Kick Starter to probably pay for a decent animator to help us complete our game as we're stuck with the default UDK skeleton.

So that money we recieve will go back into helping us develop the best game we can for PC gamers.
    Just so you know, the link to your site is borked in your signature.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 08-16-2012, 09:37 PM

I use to think that Kickstarter was just a fad and a cynical and shallow attempt at begging for money in the hope of making a game. Tim Schafer succeeds and now every indie company is going cap in hand begging.

But the truth is that only those who are interested in the project invest and not the majority of people. Only those who have a vested interest lose out and they would have been willing to part with a certain amount of cash anyway. Its kinda like a nifty market research tool to gauge whether enough people are remotely interested and whether your idea (regardless how good or crap) is worth its weight in gold.

Of course, getting the requested amount is one thing, using it properly tends to be a different matter. I raise the donations needed, but due to mishandling or poor budgeting and it becomes a shambles. Lets not also forget the scams that could crop up. If 3d realms had started a kickstarter for Duke nukem forever and had the same development pathway and results, kickstarter may become a lot less popular...

I don't want to predict anything, but Ouya looks pretty dubious. But hey, all the best.