Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 07-01-2012, 02:50 PM

Exclamation Gamers asking GOG to sell games for Linux

I have finally decided to sign up after lurking for a long time as my snooping around revealed that PC Gamer hasn't reported on a particular matter yet that I find worth reporting on. The story is that GOG has a community wishlist where users can submit suggestions for either games or website features and vote on these suggestions. One such suggestion submitted by a user called JudasIscariot (who just happens to be an employee of GOG) was to add Linux versions of games that GOG already sold for Windows to their catalog i.e. games like Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Unreal Tournament 2004, and Neverwinter Nights. With Linux getting more support and attention thanks to the likes of Kickstarter, the Humble Bundle, Desura, and soon Steam as well, GOG may not be that far off themselves.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JudasIscariot
    If a game has a Linux version and it is made and supported by the developer please allow the option to download the Linux version if at all possible.
    This entry in the GOG Community Wishlist was always to be found around the top and has collected nearly 4 700 votes to date. This shows that there are gamers using Linux and that they are ravenous for support. With GOG selling indie games these days where many of which have Linux and Mac versions as well, there is an increasing pressure to offer the full package. It is only a matter of time before our votes reach the folks at GOG and they begin to add Linux versions of the games they already sell for Windows. If things go well, they might even hit Linux before Steam does due to the infamous concept of [URL="https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time"]Valve Time[/URL], although hopefully both of them come around sooner rather than later!

Relevant links:

[URL="http://www.gog.com/en/wishlist/site/add_linux_versions_of_games"]The request itself...please vote![/URL]

[URL="http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site#search=linux"]Other requests that have to do with Linux[/URL]

[URL="http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/linux_support_on_gog/post14"]GOG's view on the matter so far[/URL]

[URL="http://steamforlinux.com/?q=en/node/62"]Gamers asking for games for Linux on GOG.com[/URL]

[URL="http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEyMTA"]GOG Game Service May Come To Linux[/URL]

[URL="http://www.gamingonlinux.com/index.php?threads/getting-gog-com-to-support-linux.899/"]Getting GOG.com to support Linux[/URL]

Last edited by FutureSuture; 07-15-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Links weren't obvious.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 07-01-2012, 03:09 PM

So you can only vote yes???

I didn't vote as I only want windows games and this could only reduce the number of games gog work on.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 07-01-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kborom View Post

I didn't vote as I only want windows games and this could only reduce the number of games gog work on.
    you thing GOG work on games? they do nothing to the game other than often package it with free software that anyone can download and setup to then sell it as a working version. 90% of the older games that wont run on XP or above are just ran through a preconfigured version of DOSbox, a quick google can get you those settings and the rest are basically as they came all those years ago, so really GOG does nothing be sell you the same game a second time under the pretence of it being a working version when they have done nothing but use the work of others.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 07-01-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kborom View Post

What a disappointing start to this thread!
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 07-01-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    you thing GOG work on games? they do nothing to the game other than often package it with free software that anyone can download and setup to then sell it as a working version. 90% of the older games that wont run on XP or above are just ran through a preconfigured version of DOSbox, a quick google can get you those settings and the rest are basically as they came all those years ago, so really GOG does nothing be sell you the same game a second time under the pretence of it being a working version when they have done nothing but use the work of others.
    They don't even all work. Messiah is pretty much broken from GoG.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 07-01-2012, 04:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell

Hmmm. I've only played their freeware games and they all seem to work on first installation. I have often gone into make them run better for my projector screen when playing from the HTPC but outside of that I've yet to deal with any mishap.

Linux support would be great if they wanted to do it.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 07-01-2012, 06:25 PM

Of those 4500 people, how many of them have a working version of Windows XP or Windows 7 that could run the game just fine? I'm betting 4000 plus.

If they do the work to set up DOSBox (or whatever) so that a game can install and run under linux as well as Windows then they need to get compensated for it. That's not going to happen if they lose one Windows-side sale for every linux-side sale they make.
    ...the Law [of Fives] is: All phenomena are directly or indirectly related to the number five, and this relationship can always be demonstrated, given enough ingenuity on the part of the demonstrator.
    --- Hagbard Celine in the Illuminati series
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 07-01-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
    Of those 4500 people, how many of them have a working version of Windows XP or Windows 7 that could run the game just fine? I'm betting 4000 plus.

If they do the work to set up DOSBox (or whatever) so that a game can install and run under linux as well as Windows then they need to get compensated for it. That's not going to happen if they lose one Windows-side sale for every linux-side sale they make.
    That's the thing. Many just keep Windows around to game. If they could game on Linux more, they would ditch Windows entirely. Others don't bother with Windows at all but would still like to game more on Linux.

Apparently it isn't just difficult. Heck, according to those more knowledgeable than I, all GOG would have to do is remove a few things to make the games more platform agnostic.

It isn't just the old games, though. GOG sells newer games as well as indie titles these days. Kickstarter titles and the Humble Bundle as well as the developers themselves give you all three versions at once when you buy a game.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 07-01-2012, 07:45 PM

I've only had good things from GOG. Games have been convenient/easy-to-use/fully functional (par a few outdated multiplayer options). Some games like Theme Hospital I know friends who've found it significantly easier to get it from GOG rather than mess about with an older version that won't run on 64-bit Windows.

I guess the question is how much it'd cost them to setup sitestructure and host any linux versions, and how much they're actually going to get from it - they are still a business after all.

Gray
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 PM

Can we do the same for Mac versions?
    Either way, I support any effort to make gamers less dependent of Windows.
    EDIT:
    [URL="http://www.gog.com/en/wishlist/site/add_mac_os_x_versions_of_games"]Ah, they're doing that already.[/URL]

Tags

desura, gog, linux, steam, windows