Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games > PC Gamer Game Club

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:27 PM

Default Week 30: DOOM

I don't care if people even come here any more. I'm just going to keep declaring a randomly selected game of the week until someone asks me politely to stop.

(Courtesy of Wikipedia)
    Doom is a landmark 1993 first-person shooter video game by id Software. It is widely recognized for having popularized the first person shooter genre, pioneering immersive 3D graphics, networked multiplayer gaming, and support for customized additions and modifications via packaged files in a data archive known as "WADs". Its graphic and interactive violence as well as its Satanic imagery also made it the subject of considerable controversy. In Doom, players assume the role of a space marine who must fight his way through a military base on Mars' moon, Phobos, and he must kill the demons from Hell.

Is there one person on this forum who has not, at some point played their way through at least the opening few levels of this game? This isn't game of the week, it's the game of the goddam century. It's rock and roll. It's heavy metal. It's the reason I grew up wanting to own my very own chainsaw.

Why DOOM? Why now? I'll tell you why. Someone linked me to this earlier, and now it's stuck in my head.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSsfjHCFosw&feature=rellist&playnext=1&lis t=PLAD406570CDE98A8A"]Episode 1: Level 1 Theme[/URL]

#2   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2011, 12:24 PM

I would quite happily put this series down as my favourite game series of all time ever, ever, EVAH! (Whuts Doom3? Never heard of it... nope... never).

It started with Wolfenstein 3D. Me Dad brought it home, and we lost our selves in a nazi castle, fighting hoards of... well... nazis... and zombies.

Then he bought DOOM home... and omg... it was that good... even my Mum started playing it! :O (I still imagine she pictured it was the rest of the family she was taking the chainsaw to).

Level design was great, the monsters were iconic (CYBERDEMON), sound effects were incredible (so much so that some have been used in movies for the last few decades, from certain doors opening, to the certain scream of a monster you destroy (I could be wrong here, and these sounds were around before DOOM?)).

But even the way the difficulty ramped up... I enjoyed. Mobs weren't harder, or did more damage... there was just a shed load more of them!

And you know what? I don't regret getting them on the consoles either, because DOOMII on the XBox had a whole new campaign released just recently, and is a really good well designed campaign!

I want more classic DOOM! MORE I TELL THEE!
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2011, 07:58 PM

I've never played any of the Doom games *embarassed*

Steam
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2011, 10:29 PM

Fuck yeah RIP AND TEAR.
    Motherboard-Asus P5KPL-VM
    Case-Nzxt TEMPEST
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
    I've never played any of the Doom games *embarassed*
    Never mind. If only some genius hadn't managed to port it to Flash.

Oh, wait.

[URL="http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/470460"]Doom: Online Flash Version[/URL]

#6   Report Post  
    Old 11-23-2011, 10:23 PM

You can also get the full game on Steam very cheap with DOS box. It really helps when you want to run personal wads.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2011, 08:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell

[url]http://zdaemon.org/[/url] Is a freeware multiplayer version of Doom. You can also add the Doom and other ID .wad files to it.

There are some servers setup for co-op into user made content. One of my favorites is Mummyicide and Zombie World.

A CAG member from my thread has a personal server that he changes the password to weekly that has a TON of mods on it from Matrix to Tranfsformer skins and sounds.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 12-01-2011, 09:12 AM

I've been missing the pc gamer game club, allthough I'm not on the internet much anymore I allways enjoyed clicking on this thread and taking part in the discussion and playing the games. Thanks for bringing it back

Last edited by fallenangels; 12-01-2011 at 03:13 PM.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 12-07-2011, 06:46 AM

This is, by far, no question, THE best game ever. It is perfect and flawless in every way. You must play it. I haven't had a computer since '93 without Doom on it. I always make time to play through it every year.
    [URL="http://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Chocolate_Doom"]
    Chocolate Doom
    [/URL] is a great source port choice for playing it on modern systems while keeping it as close to the original as possible.

Go play it!

Last edited by BadManiac; 12-07-2011 at 06:48 AM.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2011, 02:58 AM

New game for the club?