Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-08-2011, 12:02 PM

Default PCG: The Old Republic

Hi guys,

Kinda new around these parts (although recently subscribed to PCG!)

But i asked on the Steam page and chat the other day about wether PCG has plans for a TOR guild. I got no reply confirming there will be a set up but i did see that a LOT of people are going to pick it up.

Are there already plans afoot?

Also, please register your interest by replying to this thread.

Thanks fellas.

EDIT BY JOSH:
    Thanks to BioWare's guild website, we do in fact have a TOR guild ready to go already! Join the Coconut Monkeys on Empire side here: [url]http://www.swtor.com/guilds/6753/coconut-monkeys[/url]

Last edited by Josh Augustine; 03-09-2011 at 07:42 PM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-08-2011, 12:22 PM

*registers interest*
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 01-08-2011, 01:04 PM

I agreed with this fact on the group, I do believe that we need a TOR Clan, I've pre-ordered the game and I'd love to see you guys in it too.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 01-08-2011, 05:19 PM

Maybe this will be the game that finally gets me into an MMO. If so - count me in.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 AM

I'm interested in the game (Bioware <3) but I'm holding out until I see some reviews. I'm just a bit wary about this one ...
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 01-10-2011, 10:39 AM

I'll be waiting quite a while before even considering this, after spending about 4-5 years on the last star wars MMO for Lucas Arts to come in and over ride the devs and basically kill the game with a change no body had wanted, I have little trust in this IP unless I see proof LA have changed and not just out to clone WoW if they don't get the sub's they want.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 01-11-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    I'll be waiting quite a while before even considering this, after spending about 4-5 years on the last star wars MMO for Lucas Arts to come in and over ride the devs and basically kill the game with a change no body had wanted, I have little trust in this IP unless I see proof LA have changed and not just out to clone WoW if they don't get the sub's they want.
    A few people have said things similar but theres no way bioware would compromise...in my view at least. If you visited the official boards of TOR you will see how popular the game is already and if they did cut corners and bend over etc they would lose SO many people...forever... not gonna risk it im sure.

Is it correct that this will be the 'Most expensive development' of a game ever? $300,000,000 so far including pre-launch marketing. I that right?

Last edited by Shriven; 01-11-2011 at 01:32 PM.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
    This^

If its good though, im in!!
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brabus View Post
    A few people have said things similar but theres no way bioware would compromise...in my view at least. If you visited the official boards of TOR you will see how popular the game is already and if they did cut corners and bend over etc they would lose SO many people...forever... not gonna risk it im sure.

Is it correct that this will be the 'Most expensive development' of a game ever? $300,000,000 so far including pre-launch marketing. I that right?
    see this where peoples understanding of licensing falls down, Bioware is using a IP created by Lucas, so in order to use it they need a licence issued by Lucas, due to this everything they do must be passed by Lucas due to them needing to keep within the limits of the IP.

so while Bioware could refuse to let Lucas make a change, it would lead to one of two possible outcomes, either the licence would be revoked forcing bioware to close down the game and forcing them to stop selling it, the second option is Lucas just makes Biowares life hell until Bioware implements the change Lucas wants as Lucas has to sign off on all patches and content changes before Bioware can implement anything.

so yes Bioware could save face and refuse a change forced in by Lucas but it would most likely cost them the licence and cause the game to die on the spot. the simple way to put it as long as a game firm is using a licence from another firm the firm handing out the licence holds all the power over what happens. this is why nearly every movie based game is terrible.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
    see this where peoples understanding of licensing falls down, Bioware is using a IP created by Lucas, so in order to use it they need a licence issued by Lucas, due to this everything they do must be passed by Lucas due to them needing to keep within the limits of the IP.

so while Bioware could refuse to let Lucas make a change, it would lead to one of two possible outcomes, either the licence would be revoked forcing bioware to close down the game and forcing them to stop selling it, the second option is Lucas just makes Biowares life hell until Bioware implements the change Lucas wants as Lucas has to sign off on all patches and content changes before Bioware can implement anything.

so yes Bioware could save face and refuse a change forced in by Lucas but it would most likely cost them the licence and cause the game to die on the spot. the simple way to put it as long as a game firm is using a licence from another firm the firm handing out the licence holds all the power over what happens. this is why nearly every movie based game is terrible.
    Your so on the button here it's scary. If nothing else the politics of Lucas could destroy this potentially brilliant game.
    Hopefully because a Grade A team like bioware are making this game, Lucas are just letting them do the real work and just help with the cosmetics + lore etc.