Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 03-04-2014, 12:07 AM

Question The right CPU and GPU combo?

It's finally come time for me to make the jump to pc gaming.

This will be my first build and I've spent a while now doing my research and getting advice from people but i'm still unsure as to whether i'm on the right track with the components i've been looking into buying...

Here is where i'm at:

MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS-VI HERO
    CPU: INTEL i7-4770K 3.5GHz 8MB
    GPU: ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5
    RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 16GB 1600 (8GBx2)
    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB
    CPU COOLER: COOLERMASTER HYPER 212 EVO
    PSU: CORSAIR RM 750W

... I'm a little unsure as to how the i7-4770k / GTX770 2GB combo will perform, but i'm pretty much looking for something that's not going to give me any trouble running the latest games at full settings at 1080p (or higher, still need to look into the capabilities of the monitor I already have...). Also would it be worth looking at the 4GB card over the 2GB?

As for overclocking, that will be something for the future, but I want to make sure that i don't have to make any major changes down the track to comfortably get the most out of my system.

Some things that i'm already considering are changing to a better cpu cooler, and the corsair memory from what i've seen is quite tall, and I don't want that to get in the way of the cpu cooler (haven't figured out whether that's going to be an issue yet).

I haven't bought any of it at this stage, so i'm still in the midst of planning the whole build, any help or opinions with where i'm at would be much appreciated!

Last edited by ShortyZane; 03-04-2014 at 02:50 AM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 03-05-2014, 02:29 PM

What resolution monitor are you using and what will you be using the machine for?

If it's just for gaming @1080p then go for an i5 4670k with the 2GB GTX770, you'll only need 8GB's of RAM and the Hero is good but overpriced, an MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming is a preferable option in my opinion.
    MSI Z77A-GD55
    VTX3D 7870 Tahiti LE
    8GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz
    Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD
    Western Digital SATAIII 1TB x2
    Corsair GS700w

My Blog

My Steam
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 03-05-2014, 03:29 PM

Corsair do the Vengeance series RAM modules in a low profile (LP) version as well. They are flat on top instead of the pointy/spiky heat spreader. I don't see any major disadvantage to using that design over the more, visually pleasing than anything, spiked variant.

For gaming at 1080p what you have picked is perfect. Arguably if all your doing is gaming, you could go with the cheaper, yet perfectly similar performance to an i7, i5-4670K. And add in a better graphics card, although again, arguably the GTX 770 is all you need for playing games on high settings at 1080p.

If you were gaming at 1440p, i'd certainly tell you to go with a GTX 780 or AMD R9 290 for the added performance & Vram. And if you needed to trim down to fit that in, go with the i5-4670K, 8GB RAM & a slightly less dear motherboard.
    Zowie AM-GS/Filco Maj.2 (mx brown)/Senn.PC360/Corsair SP2500

---------------------------
    Self built PC problems Here
    Can i run game XYZ Here
    How do PSU's work Here
    Whats in your PC Here
    Keep your PC clean Here
    How to build a PC Here & Here
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 03-05-2014, 09:11 PM

yeah the heat spreader on the RAM doesn't really do a lot, one side has fell off my G Skill Sniper RAM and it has made no difference whatsoever to the system, they are mainly just there for looks, so if you are concerned with the height restrictions just look at the low profile as chances are you won't see a difference in performance.

there is also the alternative choice of go with the high profile RAM for looks then just shell out the few quid/bucks extra for something likes the corsair H100 then space around the CPU stops being an issue as long as the case can support the radiator.

also as said above if you are mainly just gaming I would drop to the i5, most games will only use 2 cores a few are starting to use 4, but the HT on the i7 is pointless since you are unlikely to need more than 4 cores any time soon with gaming and the HT will most likely limit you when overclocking compared to the i5's that don't have HT. so unless you are running heavily threaded programs on a regular basis or 3+ graphics cards an i7 isn't really needed.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 03-06-2014, 03:29 AM

Thanks for the replies,

Yep, my main Intention for the rig will be gaming, the monitor I currently have is a 1080p ASUS 22", aside from gaming, I don't think I'll be using it for much other than low intensity tasks. Really I'm just aiming for a system that i'm not going need to sacrifice performance for high graphic settings.

Yes I was originally going to use the i5 4670k but wasn't quite sure how much processing power I would actually need (something i am still trying to wrap my head around), so in that case I will change back to the i5, should save a bit of money.

I looked only a little into the system memory options and hadn't actually come across the low profile corsair version, i'll look a bit further into that, I don't like the aesthetics of the heat spreaders at all!

I think I'm pretty set with the GTX770, happy with the specs and have only seen really good reviews in term of how i'm putting it to use.

Again, thanks for the help all!

Tags

cpu, gpu, intel, nvidia, tips