Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2013, 05:26 PM

Default Is this really the end of the line for [decent] tactical shooters?

Hello there.

I'm a fan of tactical shooters, I loved of the original Ghost Recon and the SWAT games, since SWAT 4 though (That I've played in 2009 or something), I've never played another decent tactical shooter, I was talking about this to a friend and he gave me a copy of R6:V2, which he said I'm going to like also. I'm yet to receive it, but I'm wondering... what the hell happened to those awesome tactical shooters? I still remember the nights I spent playing the R6 games last millennium... the newer shooters (starting this decade) are all very simplified imho and this decade I'm yet to find a shooter more valuable than my sleep. I mean, nowadays games are all about shooting zombies or aliens, and I'm not a child any longer, polygonal zombies make me sleepy, the best example on how shooter are 'downgrading' is Crysis 1 vs 2 & 3 (I made a thread on this, NOTE: I consider Crysis 1 the 'bestest' 'action-focused' shooter ever).

Anyway, this thread is about tactical shooters... I always knew tactical shooters were a niche genre, but I think nowadays there are much more gamers than 15 years ago, so, that 'niche', which is a fraction of the total of 'gamers' also should be more attractive for developers. Or does this 'niche' actually shrunk (in absolute terms)?

I'm gonna repeat what I say in a lot of posts... if the thing keeps going like this (games being 'dumbed down') I'm going to stop being a (hardcore?) 'gamer' soon. Every year there's less games worthy playing imho. And this decade no game exceeded my expectations at all, not even Skyrim... when you read previews and watch videos you always end up a little disappointed when you get your hands on the game. in 90's it was exactly the opposite, we (90%) only had magazines but I remember that almost all games that drew my attention in the end exceeded my expectations.

Okay, enough of smalltalk. Do you think decent tactical shooters are going to stay in the past, and also, is there any decent tactical shooter that was released this decade?

Best Regards
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2013, 05:30 PM

If we're talking about Old rainbow six style planning and such, i don't see a resurgence any time soon. Most realistic tactical shooters are more team based on the fly stuff. I suppose to scratch that tactical itch there is frozen synapse which keep me going for quite a bit until i accidentally removed it along with steam. Haven't got back to it as it got bloody difficult.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnway View Post
    If we're talking about Old rainbow six style planning and such, i don't see a resurgence any time soon.
    It's not polite to make a bearded man cry .

Quote:
    Most realistic tactical shooters are more team based on the fly stuff.
    You mean, like these games where you don't 'command' your team?

Quote:
    I suppose to scratch that tactical itch there is frozen synapse which keep me going for quite a bit until i accidentally removed it along with steam. Haven't got back to it as it got bloody difficult.
    That game doesn't sound very similar to the style I'm looking for.

Thanks.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to PatchRowcester Send a message via MSN to PatchRowcester Send a message via Yahoo to PatchRowcester

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    I mean, nowadays games are all about shooting zombies or aliens, and I'm not a child any longer, polygonal zombies make me sleepy, the best example on how shooter are 'downgrading' is Crysis 1 vs 2 & 3 (I made a thread on this, NOTE: I consider Crysis 1 the 'bestest' 'action-focused' shooter ever).
    I am going to say something really controversial here. I personally thought Crysis 1 and Warhead were better than Half Life 2 in terms of gameplay.

I totally enjoyed the story in Half Life 2, and I think that game is about as good as it gets for story telling FPS, but Crysis 1 is the most fun I've had in a SP shooter.

Back to tactical shooters, I have not played them a lot since the original Rainbow 6, but I don't see them making a big comeback on the PC. That genre is one of the many that fell to the almighty consoles, along with tactical strategy like Commandos.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatchRowcester View Post
    I totally enjoyed the story in Half Life 2, and I think that game is about as good as it gets for story telling FPS, but Crysis 1 is the most fun I've had in a SP shooter.
    =ALERT: Minor Crysis 1 spoilers on the next paragraph=

I agree completely. Imho Crysis 1 is the supreme masterpiece in terms of action-packed shooters. The story isn't as good as HL2, but it's quite decent and fits the gameplay much better. In HL2 I was always asking myself "why can't I do this or that", so the gameplay didn't offer the freedom necessary to make it really shine ALONG with the story. Crysis is kinda the opposite here, you have at first a 'shallow' story, and the gameplay is basically "go to point X passing through point Y" in an open-world environment, after some time the story gets much more interesting but the gameplay gets more linear (this was somewhat frustrating, but it isn't very bad also, specially in that part inside the alien ship, I would never expect that to be open-world of course, but when you go back outside, the thing should be more open imho, this is a minor issue though, at this point you're already involved and just want to kick some extraterrestrial arses ).

=END OF SPOILERS=

Back to tactical shooters, what happened to the SWAT games?

Thanks guys.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2013, 08:27 PM

What about Armed Assault 3?
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2013, 08:38 PM

You mean ARMA3? Is it out already? BTW... I didn't know ARMA series had tactical gameplay, I've never played any of them, maybe it's worthy getting ARMA2?
    Thanks.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2013, 08:46 PM

I'd say that ArmA2 is more of a military sim than tactical shooter. Sure is better than CoD-like FPS though.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 06-18-2013, 01:32 AM

[url]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/355932838/crowdsourced-hardcore-tactical-shooter[/url]

Just came across that and remembered this thread. Sounds just like what you were looking for
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 06-18-2013, 02:40 PM

I'm replaying SWAT4 at the moment and really enjoying the gameplay once again - very tense when you're hunting the last suspect on the map!

May go back to the Rainbow 6 RavenShield after this