Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-21-2013, 01:40 PM

Default 5.1 Discipline Priest Tips

Hi guys,

Now that you have a few disco priests raiding, I thought I'd throw a bit of advice up. It's nothing that you can't learn by doing some maths or reading mmo champ, but I know that's not everyone's cup of tea.

This is not a beginner's guide, and I won't explain all the terminology...

ATONEMENT
    Some priests make a lot of use of atonement, some less so. I'm more in the former camp, for a few reasons. Firstly, atonement healing is really effecient, as you're dipping into any DPS-increasing mechanics (think Elegon, Un'sok, Sha) as well as debuffs on the boss (CoE and the like) to directly increase your HpM (healing per mana).
    Secondly, atonement heals are smart, and so will heal the person who needs it most (within 40 yards of the boss, which is the whole raid on most fights). This is particularly important with Penance; cast as a heal, you will often overheal with the final tick. Cast as an offensive spell, each of the three ticks count as three seperate atonement heals, and can hit different people.
    Finally, you'll contribute a decent chunk of damage to the raid, which is generaly good, but particularly important when you're up against a tight enrage timer.

PENANCE
    First of all - glyph it! Disco priests aren't particularly mobile. PW:S is powerful, but once you've put weakened soul on someone, all you can really do is renew them if you're, for instance, dodging tornadoes on Zor'lok. Being able to cast Penance on the move is therefore vital to being useful in many boss fights.
    Penance should usually be used as an offensive spell, for the reasons outlined above; which are that it'll heal for more that way, and it can heal more than one person. The only reasons to cast it as a direct heal are a) to quickly stack Grace on someone (usually a tank) or b) when you need the whole spell to hit a particular target for some complicated reason.

GRACE
    It's very important to maintain Grace on the tanks, if you're going to be healing them for significant amounts. This is easily done by chucking them a Heal every few seconds, or using Penance as a direct heal.

PW:S
    To maximise the benefit of Rapture, you should get a timer active and keep track of the ICD. Basically, you should be applying PW:S to the MT every 15 seconds or so, and only using it on anyone else if they are in very immediate danger of death, or you have no other option (ie. you're moving and Penance is on CD).

SPIRIT SHELL
    SS is the reason that the number of disco priests raiding has increase massively in the last few months. By stacking quite a lot of mastery and timing it well, you can shield your whole raid for significant amounts. It's a very powerful ability, and should be used very often when you know large amounts of damage are incoming. It is particularly powerful on:
    Stone Guard, Feng, Spirit Kings, Elegon, Will, Zorlok, Tayak, Meljarak, Unsok, Shek'zeer, Tsulong, Lei Shi (though its a bit random) and Sha of Fear. You can work out which mechanic it's best for yourself
    Basically, use it when at leasy 60% of the shielding will get used. Because of its interaction with mastery, that is roughly the point at which it's more effecient than healing. It also buys you and the other healers time to heal people up, and will often cover up small errors in positioning etc.

STATS
    Quite a lot of disco priests, especially those new to the class, are going all out to stack mastery to very high levels. This is a valid strategy, IF at least 60% of all your healing comes from Spirit Shell and PoH. It will certainly not remain a valid strategy for very long, because 5.2 is bringing a big nerf to mastery-stackers; not only will SS no longer benefit, but PoH will no longer automatically proc DA.
    My opinion is that mastery stacking looks great on healing meters, but is not the most effective way to contribute to keeping your raid alive. Disco priests have a lot of tools at their disposal, and stacking mastery is gimping all your atonement and single-target healing in exchange for big burst AoE shielding that will be largely overheals unless used very expertly.
    My advice is to aim to balance your three secondary stats, with a slight bias towards crit and mastery over haste (up to 20% bias). Of the top two, prioritise crit slightly if you have to choose. Don't balance the percentages, balance the rating numbers. Do this BEFORE taking into account the buffs you'll be getting in raiding circumstances (the most significant of which is 3000 mastery, which will near double your mastery rating).
    With balanced stats, you can adapt your healing depending on the raid encounter and who you're healing with without gimping yourself.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-22-2013, 11:16 AM

cheers for this very helpful
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 01-22-2013, 10:24 PM

Here's my affliction guide:

Though in all seriousness MMO-Champion has a good warlock community, with some very good warlocks posting there. If anyone wants any more detailed, or less detailed explanation of stuff there let me know.

Last edited by Klogaroth; 01-22-2013 at 10:57 PM.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klogaroth View Post
    Here's my affliction guide:

[snip]
    the warrior guide is better

#5   Report Post  
    Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 AM

Yes please Klog any tips and trick would be useful as currently trying affliction
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the info. I have been trying to figure out my healing spec by just bumbling around in LFRs and for the most part it seems to work, but I don't really know what I am doing.

Prayer of healing is an ability that continues to baffle me. The tool tip doesn't specify any maximum number of targets but whenever I use it it just seems to heal about six random people for a small amount. I believe it is supposed to be working on the target and the people closest to him but in a 25 man raid that is too difficult to control so I end up ignoring it. Am I missing out?

Spirit shell is another one that seems really complicated to get the most out of. Again, I may be suffering because I am try to use it in 25 man LFRs, but I can't heal fast enough to get it on more than a handful of people and it hardly seems to last any time. When I anticipate a high damage phase I try popping it and spamming PoH on random people but as far as I can tell it quickly disappears and isn't making all that much difference.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 04-10-2013, 09:46 AM

Prayer of Healing heals your target and everyone else in its PARTY (not raid) within 30yds for quite a large amount. To get the most out of it, your Raid Leader needs to put characters who'll be close by in the same group.

Spirit Shell is less OP now, it's no more effecient than just healing (because it doesn't benefit from mastery). HOWEVER, if you know damage is incoming, it's still worth using, because pre-empting damage is always better than healing it after. Once you press SS, you can either spam GH on the tanks, or use PoH on groups about to take damage. The shield lasts for 15 seconds, and it stacks. Because SS itself lasts for 15 seconds, you'll want to start casting about 25 seconds before the damage is expected. This obviously requires you to know the fight.

But none of that matters for LFR, where there's never enough damage to justify knowing what to do, really. Just spam atonement spells on the boss, you'll still top the meters.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 04-12-2013, 02:27 PM

Tortos and Mageara are prime examples of good Spirit Shell and Prayer of Healing use as the whole raid groups are usually in range of each other

On Tortos you can use Spirit Shell (use with Prayer of Healing for Group shells) on every other Stomp making it so OP as the raid take zero dmg from the whole attack. On every other stomp your not soaking with Spirit Shell pop PW:Shield on the whole raid as PW:Shield can now crit and give 300k insta shields.

Mageara is another good example on the Rampage mechanic. Spirit shell works great here to and if you link this together with Divine Star and Prayer of Mending you will easily top 100-120k HPS.

Over all tho Mastery is a really good stat to go with. Mastery used to just increase your abosorbs, but now it increase both your absorbs + healing effects making mastery a great stat to go with, in 10mans atleast.

Last edited by Nelks; 04-12-2013 at 02:34 PM.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 04-13-2013, 09:52 AM

Great, thanks for the info guys.

My UI doesn't actually show parties at the moment so I guess I should look into that.