Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

    Reply
     
    Thread Tools Display Modes
      #11   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 07:32 AM
    Megazell Megazell is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Where the shadow of Fort Apache linger.
    Posts: 3,155
    Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zaldar View Post
    The online game has become crap after it went free to play actually...I played it in beta and then after it went live for awhile but left soon before it became free to play as it had gone to crap as they moved much to far away from the books
    Which part of LOTRO went away from the books?
    Reply With Quote
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 01:39 PM
    Zloth Zloth is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2010
    Posts: 934
    Default

    The Hobbit came out in 1937 and it's STILL under copyright! That's way beyond the pale....
    __________________
    ...the Law [of Fives] is: All phenomena are directly or indirectly related to the number five, and this relationship can always be demonstrated, given enough ingenuity on the part of the demonstrator.
    --- Hagbard Celine in the Illuminati series
    Reply With Quote
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 02:43 PM
    PioneerRaptor PioneerRaptor is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Posts: 764
    Default

    I definitely don't agree about the game going downhill after free-to-play. I would still be playing it if I had the time.
    __________________

    | AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 | Intel Core i5 2500K (Stock Cooler) | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 | Sapphire HD 7970 | 1TB WD Caviar Green | 5 TB WD External | Corsair 750HX PSU | Asus Xonar DS | NZXT Phantom | Tt Ultimate Challenger Keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit | Logitech z623 Sound System |

    Steam
    Reply With Quote
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 02:50 PM
    Belimawr Belimawr is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Posts: 14,598
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
    The Hobbit came out in 1937 and it's STILL under copyright! That's way beyond the pale....
    copyrights stay active as long as there is someone to hold them.
    Reply With Quote
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 08:17 PM
    Bungo Bungo is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Posts: 122
    Default

    Just to clarify - LOTRO is based on the books and is under a separate licence from the films. There is not connection between the two so the current legal action will not affect the game.
    Reply With Quote
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 11-23-2012, 09:47 AM
    TheXand TheXand is offline
    Banned
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
    Posts: 2,764
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bungo View Post
    Just to clarify - LOTRO is based on the books and is under a separate licence from the films. There is not connection between the two so the current legal action will not affect the game.
    I'm not so sure about that. The articles on it specifically mentioned Warner Bros were being sued because Tolkien Estate doesn't like any form of digital games being made based on the Lord of the Rings books, which LotRO is.

    [url]http://uk.news.yahoo.com/j-r-r-tolkien-estate-sues-warner-bros-012414439--finance.html[/url]

    Quote:
    The lawsuit, which was filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles on Monday, alleges that Warner Bros. and its subsidiary New Line Cinema - which own the merchandising rights to the "Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit" brands - infringed on copyrights by licensing to casino slot machines, online gambling, games and downloads.
    Reply With Quote
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 11-23-2012, 02:26 PM
    PioneerRaptor PioneerRaptor is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Posts: 764
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. The articles on it specifically mentioned Warner Bros were being sued because Tolkien Estate doesn't like any form of digital games being made based on the Lord of the Rings books, which LotRO is.

    [url]http://uk.news.yahoo.com/j-r-r-tolkien-estate-sues-warner-bros-012414439--finance.html[/url]
    Whether they're angry about it or not. They are still two separate licenses, and therefore LoTRO is safe. I also doubt the Tolkien Estate wins the battle anyways, as the licensing deal was made before the internet and couldn't possibly contain limitations about today's technology. They could have added in additional addendum when the technology arrived.
    __________________

    | AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 | Intel Core i5 2500K (Stock Cooler) | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 | Sapphire HD 7970 | 1TB WD Caviar Green | 5 TB WD External | Corsair 750HX PSU | Asus Xonar DS | NZXT Phantom | Tt Ultimate Challenger Keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit | Logitech z623 Sound System |

    Steam
    Reply With Quote
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 11-23-2012, 05:08 PM
    TheXand TheXand is offline
    Banned
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
    Posts: 2,764
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor View Post
    Whether they're angry about it or not. They are still two separate licenses, and therefore LoTRO is safe. I also doubt the Tolkien Estate wins the battle anyways, as the licensing deal was made before the internet and couldn't possibly contain limitations about today's technology. They could have added in additional addendum when the technology arrived.
    LotRO is based on the books, and they're being sued by those that hold the rights to the books because Tolkien Estate feels that digital media shouldn't be included in the Lord of the Rings merchandising deal they made with Warner Bros. It's nothing to do with the movies.
    Reply With Quote
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 11-23-2012, 05:49 PM
    PioneerRaptor PioneerRaptor is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Posts: 764
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    LotRO is based on the books, and they're being sued by those that hold the rights to the books because Tolkien Estate feels that digital media shouldn't be included in the Lord of the Rings merchandising deal they made with Warner Bros. It's nothing to do with the movies.
    LoTRO was created under the license for the books by Turbine, not Warner Bros. Warner Bros didn't acquire Turbine until 2010, 3 years after the game launched. I would assume this makes the game safe as the license that Warner Bros holds was not the one used to create LoTRO.

    Also, LoTRO is not strictly a "downloadable" game. You can also purchase physical copies, which are tangible. The lawsuit is claiming that Warner Bros didn't have the rights to profit from intangible objects.

    So I do believe LoTRO will by safe. They mainly seem to be going after a Slot-Machine Game and patents that Warner Bros has applied for that include hotels, amusement parks and restaurants.
    __________________

    | AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 | Intel Core i5 2500K (Stock Cooler) | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 | Sapphire HD 7970 | 1TB WD Caviar Green | 5 TB WD External | Corsair 750HX PSU | Asus Xonar DS | NZXT Phantom | Tt Ultimate Challenger Keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit | Logitech z623 Sound System |

    Steam
    Reply With Quote
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 11-23-2012, 07:55 PM
    TheXand TheXand is offline
    Banned
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
    Posts: 2,764
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor View Post
    LoTRO was created under the license for the books by Turbine, not Warner Bros. Warner Bros didn't acquire Turbine until 2010, 3 years after the game launched. I would assume this makes the game safe as the license that Warner Bros holds was not the one used to create LoTRO.

    Also, LoTRO is not strictly a "downloadable" game. You can also purchase physical copies, which are tangible. The lawsuit is claiming that Warner Bros didn't have the rights to profit from intangible objects.

    So I do believe LoTRO will by safe. They mainly seem to be going after a Slot-Machine Game and patents that Warner Bros has applied for that include hotels, amusement parks and restaurants.
    It's the same license, and the one that Warner Bros currently holds, as well as current ownership of LotRO, making them the ones accountable and thus making the target of this lawsuit LotRO and Warner Bros. LotRO is primarily a downloadable product, although as you say tangible products exist so I imagine they'd use that to defend the game.

    I'd agree that the idiotic gambling games are the primary target, but LotRO is at risk in the ensuing fallout as well since it falls into the same category of intangible online products that Tolkien Estate in their outmoded beliefs have deemed undesirable.

    Last edited by TheXand; 11-23-2012 at 07:57 PM.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump