Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > PvP: The Battlegroup

#1   Report Post  
    Old 12-20-2010, 09:13 PM

Default Guild wargames/rated BG - first impressions

Tonight the guild did the first (of what we hope will become regular) PvP rated batteground and other PvP thingies.

We were just testing the water really. Firstly we had about a dsozen guildies defend Tol Barad, then we scrounged together 15 players and after a 10 minute queue got into an Eye of the storm - we fared pretty poorly, but it was fun to get back in the PvP swing of things.

After that we tried the new wargames tool - a way to set up matches of any size with 2 predetermined groups. We started with 5v5 arena matches (and a 5v4) which was great for the team that smashed me into the ground, but things got really great when we did a 5v5 warsong match.

It was awesome - in the end my team won 3-2 - with 20 seconds left on the timer. There were flag rescues in the enemy flag room, there were pitched battles, there were heroic deeds, there was smack talk, there was lots of fun.
    I can't count the number of time I've been crushed in a Battleground by a rogue - having it be a rogue in our guild (Sisy) made me feel proud of the quality of players we have in the guild.
    I say proud - the pride was subsumed under a pile of rage, hate (of rogues, and of Sisy in particular), anger, a feeling of futility, more rage, bitterness, grief, impotence and despair. But it was still pride.

In other words, I had the most fun I've had in a battleground for years - I can't wait to get back in once i have some pvp gear and spec and show what i'm really made of (soft mushy flesh with bits of gristle), as long as next time Sisy is on my team

For those who want to try it, the command to do a wargame is:
    /wg NAME PLACE
    where NAME is the leader of the opposing team you want to fight, and PLACE is the name of the battleground or arena (e.g. Nagrand Arena, or Warsong Gulch)

You do not get any achievements, or statisitcs when doing a wargame - it's just for lols.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 PM

I think our next PvP event is an Ironforge raid tomorrow, followed by more wargames fun this wednesday - come along even if you dont normally like PvP to try it out!
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 12-21-2010, 07:39 AM

i will be looking to craft leather/mail/cloth pvp sets and depositing them in the guild bank - i throughly enjoyed getting mullered in the arena and the competitiveness of WSG. It was probably my favourite WSG i've ever played.

I think it was down to having familiar voices rasping rather creepily towards Tim. Excellent evening in all.

Now i have 3/4 sets of gear to collect!

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 12-21-2010, 08:03 AM

It has to be said I have not had that much pvp fun in a long time can't wait for the next event to come along now.

Thanks to everyone who was there and took part.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 12-21-2010, 08:47 AM

Sorry I could not be around but I had made a previous appointment and normally Monday nights are a no-no.

If people are looking to build up their PvP gear quickly can I suggest have a go at 2v2 Arena. Even if you do not feel confident in the first attempts you will only gain rating and conquest points when you win but but lose nothing in losses. After about half-a-dozen wins you will then have enough points for new PvP purple bracers, ring or neckpiece. I did it in about 90 minutes and even lost more than I won with my DK partner. It will be a good start for doing rated BGs.

It would be good if members of the guild with Arena experience offered to partner others for a fresh team to get this first piece even if they then leave after the first week to join a more serious Arena team.

I am looking forward to Wednesday as the Wargames sound brilliant fun and I would be quite happy to be smacked around by members of my own guild and not be too disappointed.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 12-21-2010, 08:55 AM

being the resident pvp expert should we be worried about you??!

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 12-21-2010, 11:11 AM

Iím sorry for 4 shotting you so many times Jecaa, but it was on our glorious leaders instructions, and I do what Iím told
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 12-21-2010, 12:10 PM

/gkick Sisy
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 12-21-2010, 12:50 PM

Was a good night.

I don't PvP much (in fact not at all) and was persuaded to join and to be fair it was good fun....even if I did spend most of the evening dead, being smacked in the face by Sarkris (in-game, not RL) or running around wondering what was going on!

The wargames were definatly a lot of fun, and I will probably sign up for more. However, I think I will have to improve my PvP skill before I am allowed on Jecca or Teem's team again!
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 12-21-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akee View Post
    /gkick Sisy
    Surprising!

I will work on pvp skillz to hopefully be of some use in your team next time Akee! Fail cat is fail
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg fail-cat[2].jpg (31.4 KB, 6 views)

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin