Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 10-27-2012, 08:25 AM

Default Stardock are alright :)

Received this letter from them:

Dear Stardock customer,

My name is Brad Wardell. I'm the President & CEO of Stardock. Two years ago, you bought a game from us called Elemental: War of Magic. We had great hopes and ambitions for that game but, in the end, it just wasn't a very good game.

Elemental was an expensive game. You probably paid $50 or more for it. And you trusted us to deliver to you a good game. $50 is a lot of money and companies have a moral obligation to deliver what they say they're going to deliver and frankly, Stardock failed to deliver the game we said we were going to deliver.

While we did update Elemental: War of Magic (you can still download v1.4). Its design just wasn't adequate to make it into the kind of game it should be. So we decided to start over. From scratch. We made a new game called Fallen Enchantress.

So even though it's been two years, we haven't forgotten about you. This week, we released Fallen Enchantress. It is a vastly better game and, we believe, lives up to the expectations set for the original Elemental. This game is yours. Free. It's already been added to your account.

You can download and play it by going to [url]http://download.stardock.com[/url].

We hope you enjoy Fallen Enchantress. Please feel free to visit the Elemental forum at [url]www.elementalgame.com[/url] if you wish to talk to me and the rest of the team. We're there and very interested in your feedback.

Thank you for being our customers and your patience.

Sincerely,

Brad Wardell
    President & CEO
    Stardock - [url]http://www.stardock.com[/url]
    [email]bwardell@stardock.com[/email]
    @draginol [url]http://www.twitter.com/draginol[/url]
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 10-27-2012, 09:08 AM

Yeah it was on the front page the other day. Old news.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 10-27-2012, 12:17 PM

its not old news to me cause i didn't see it.

Thanks Arobein for sharing this. honestly i don't think i've heard of Stardock before but will definitely remember them now. this is one of the coolest things i've ever heard about a dev doing for their customers.

and let us know how their new game is please. i was looking at it the other day on steam wondering if it was any good.

Looking 4 Indie bundles? http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 10-27-2012, 08:11 PM

Yes, the game is fun and is a bit like Age of Wonders. Stardock are more famous for their Galactic Civilizations games which are awesome.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 10-27-2012, 08:27 PM

to be fair they charged way too much for a game and released it at poor quality, all this does is try to claw back a little bit reputation, for a company that isn't really well known for anything other than failing on elements. (galactic civ doesn't get that much coverage)
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 10-27-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    to be fair they charged way too much for a game and released it at poor quality, all this does is try to claw back a little bit reputation, for a company that isn't really well known for anything other than failing on elements. (galactic civ doesn't get that much coverage)
    Most new games are released with £39.99 price tag, so 50 bucks isn't that much. Game was playable and I enjoyed it at the time quite a bit. As for their reputation, atleast they care enough to do something about it. Look at Ubisoft or EA - they will be hated for their mistakes because they never acknowledge that they did make them.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 10-27-2012, 09:22 PM

to be fair for companies the size of EA and Acti there will always be loads of people who will moan about every game, take WoW as an example loads of people say it is a terrible game yet millions of people play it, so these types of complaint against the bigger firms its the equivalent of a couple of complaints for a smaller firm like stardock, in this case stardock released a game the majority of players found it terrible and not worth the money, all these people would then think twice about buying a future stardock game, however give them a "free" game they think well they can't be that bad, the firm puts extra work into the free game, then they get those customers to come back and buy the next game out.

it's all just a marketing strategy.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 10-27-2012, 09:37 PM

wasn't there something about the ceo of stardock being some sexist asshole

or am i thinking of something else
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 10-27-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lonwol View Post
    wasn't there something about the ceo of stardock being some sexist asshole

or am i thinking of something else
    Honestly, that whole story was a mess of both him and her saying the other person did all these terrible things so who knows what the real truth was.

At the end of the day, one employee had a problem and I don't think that has anything to do with his ability to run the business.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 10-28-2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by R3DT1D3 View Post
    Honestly, that whole story was a mess of both him and her saying the other person did all these terrible things so who knows what the real truth was.

At the end of the day, one employee had a problem and I don't think that has anything to do with his ability to run the business.
    usually in these cases i assume the woman is lying.

Looking 4 Indie bundles? http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker