Square Enix has released a new Nier: Automata trailer that showcases nearly a half-hour of uninterrupted gameplay. The video focuses on the game's systems and RPG elements, including "immersive questlines, 17 different pod skills, the 'Plug-In Chip' system, and how players live and die as androids in this post-apocalyptic world."
A more detailed breakdown of what you're watching:
- “Reliquary” System—Players can return to where their characters were defeated to gain additional buffs, or even gain an ally to assist in their battle against the fearsome machines.
- 17 Different Pod Skills—Using “Pods,” your mini-robot companions, players can not only temporarily hover or be thrown distances to access additional areas, but each Pod can be programmed with a variety of offensive and defense skills, including lasers, hammers, and more. By using up to three Pods at the same time, players can also charge their skills to make them up to three times stronger.
- “Plug-in-Chip” System—By installing chips into your android body, players can increase damage and add skills to help survive against enemies.
- Riding System—Players can ride boars and other wildlife for quicker travel, while also using them to attack.
- Quest Hub—As players immerse themselves in the desolate world, they can take on a variety of sub-quests from multiple Quest Hubs scattered throughout.
- Fishing Minigame—Players can catch a variety of fish through this mini-game to sell or gain temporary beneficial status effect.
There's still no official release date for the PC version of Nier: Automata. The "Arsenal of Elegant Destruction" trailer released last month indicated that it will be out on Steam on March 10, the same day it hits the PS4 in Europe, but that date was quickly removed and Square Enix has thus far not commented on it one way or the other. This trailer concludes by saying that it will be available on March 7, but only specifies the PS4 version. I've emailed Square Enix (again) about the PC release date, and will update if I receive a reply.