Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Magazine and site talk

#1   Report Post  
    Old 07-06-2010, 10:51 PM

Default Brave review

Just wanted to say thanks for the 55 you gave APB.
    It's not that I hate APB, but I did notice how heavily the game has advertised with you. I know, your writers have always said there's a wall between editorial and advertising. But, having worked as a reporter for several years, I know there's always pressure, even if it's not explicit and "official."
    Anyway, it's good to see bold statements that back those assertions up. No, I don't think you should target your advertisers. If they make a bad game, though, it does need to be pointed out. That professionalism and transparency is one of the things we'll never see from most review sites and blogs.
    So, yeah, thanks.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 07-06-2010, 11:57 PM

Thanks for the honesty PCGamer staff!
    Samsung 840 PRO 512GB | Win7 x64 | HP ZR2740W
    Tenkeyless Otaku | Logitech G9X | Razer Orbweaver
    Sennheiser HD 558 | Schiit Modi & Magni
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 07-07-2010, 04:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Manuel Calavera

One thing the PCG staff have always been, from the earliest days of the CD Gamer 1 and the Magic Carpet demo is objective, humorous and never pandered to the publisher, even if they are advertisers. Their Top 100 is generally sound without of all the CoD fan bois waving their banners etc. They just know good and bad games through and through.

And more importantly than anything, they love our beloved PC platform to the deepest depths!
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 07-22-2010, 10:19 PM

Just read the APB review in the print magazine, and noticed the different score (65 vs. 55 on the Web). Why the difference? Was it reviewed twice by different people? Did something change? Just curious.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 07-22-2010, 11:41 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seamonkeydoo View Post
    Just read the APB review in the print magazine, and noticed the different score (65 vs. 55 on the Web). Why the difference? Was it reviewed twice by different people? Did something change? Just curious.
    I don't know for certain, but Rich McCormick - who wrote the review on the website - is from the UK mag. I'm assuming the one you've read is in the US mag, and therefore possibly was reviewed by someone else. Some content is shared, but some isn't and I would postulate that this is one of those occasions where they felt it was better to have a differing opinion per region - which for MMOs especially is understandable. But as I say, I don't know for certain myself, I would assume it would be down to the Editor of each region's mag to decide.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 07-23-2010, 12:27 AM

I too have to say that I love PCG for many reasons, but the first an foremost will always be there dedication to honest, frank, hilarious reviews. They'll never sugarcoat the bad stuff. They'll always point out good stuff, even in bad games, and they always make sure you, the reader, are well informed and allowed to make your own decision about things. This is especially true with the current hot-button issue of ubisofts DRM. They tell you it impacted the review, they give you the reasons why, but they don't just outright can the game. That is the sort of reviews I want to read. That why I've been a PCG subscriber since issue #11 and will be for a LONG time to come.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 07-23-2010, 02:48 AM

I was actually surprised they gave it a bad review too. Every podcast started with "this podcast brought to you by Sega and Obsidian's Alpha Protocol 2"
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 07-23-2010, 03:05 AM

That explanation of the two magazines actually makes a lot of sense; hadn't thought of that.
    But it does raise the interesting point that, like Euros to dollars, English review scores seem to be worth slightly more. Looks like an exchange rate of about 1.18. It also explains why the North Korean edition gave it a 3057.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 07-23-2010, 07:50 AM

PCG had talked APB up a lot in previews for ages, so when I played the beta and found it to be a pretty bad game I was expecting PCG's review to disagree with me. I guess they were just able to see the (unfulfilled) potential before release, I'm glad they confirmed what I thought about the game in the end.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mosdefon1 View Post
    I was actually surprised they gave it a bad review too. Every podcast started with "this podcast brought to you by Sega and Obsidian's Alpha Protocol 2"
    What's that got to do with anything? This thread is about APB.

Last edited by DancingOmelette; 07-23-2010 at 07:53 AM.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 07-23-2010, 08:03 AM

And Alpha Protocol is good, and got the 80-something it deserved.