Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2010, 11:37 PM

Default Video Hardware Error GTX 460

I bought my new EVGA GTX 460 768mb a few weeks back, and it has been locking up on me sporadically since I installed it. I've gone through three different drivers so far, no change, and it has been happening in multiple games.

So far I've tried it in Fallout New Vegas, where I can play for hours before it does it, or sometimes only a few minutes. Same thing happened in World of Warcraft, though on two occasions my computer didn't actually completely lock up; my monitor simply reported, "No input" for a few seconds, then came back up with WoW still running as if nothing had happened. Whenever it has recovered itself, I check EVGA precision's monitor graphs, which tell me that for a few seconds, everything it's reporting for: GPU temp, fan speed, GPU usage, GPU clock Mem clock, etc are all at 0%, they then jump back to where they were a before the monitor went "no signal".

The first thing I looked for was overheating, which isn't happening at all, it has locked up at anywhere from 40 degrees up to 60, the latter being the highest I've ever seen it go.

When hooking up the GPU first and second time (I've reseatted it once) I had to use the converter that comes with it that turns two molex (four prong power connectors right?) into a single 6pin connecter because the 460 requires two of them. I've since been wondering though, is there a particular way you're supposed to do that? I just grabbed two random molex connector's that weren't going to anything else and plugged them into the converter.

My specs are thus:
    windows 7 64-bit
    intel core 2 quad cpu q6600 2.4ghz
    4 gigs of ram
    power is:
    antec 430W max
    +12v1 max = 17a
    +12v2 max = 16a
    -12v max = 0.8a

I included the power supply details from the sticker because I think it might be at fault, I've been told by a friend that as long as the rails add up to 30a (or something like that) I'd be ok, but given what I'm going through now, I'd like a second opinion. I'm of course willing to buy a new PSU if that is what I need to do, but I'd like to be a little more sure of it before I spend the money on one, and honestly I'm not sure what I should go with if indeed I need a new one.

so here I am, making an appeal to the infinite wisdom of PCGamer and my fellow readers.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2010, 11:42 PM

Your power supply seems a little low for that card but it should be ok. You could have a defective card. EVGA is well known for superb customer service so they should be a help.
    • Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB
    • Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD
    • Western Digital Blue 1TB x2
    • EVGA Supernova G2 750
    • HP 2509B @ 1920x1080
    • Corsair Carbide 500R
    • Corsair H100
    • BlackWidow Ultimate & DeathAdder
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-16-2010, 03:12 AM

You might just be overloading that PSU, what I would do is find out what kind of powersupply your friend (or someone with a Uber PC and that your pretty good friends with) has, if it's more than 500 watts and is a quality brand (such as Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, i'll even go as far as Coolermaster and Thermaltake). Put your GTX 460 in there and game a bit on it, see if it will lock up or not, try and factor out lack of power as a cause, if it persists then it's likely a faulty card.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I think the real reason we're a dying breed is because we have trouble breeding.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-16-2010, 01:49 PM

sadly I don't really know anyone with moar powah. (sorry, couldn't resist) so i'll just have to buy a power supply and hope it solves it, not as if the money will be a waste I guess, even with a faulty card having more power won't hurt me, plus i'll have a spare power supply.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xigageshi View Post
    sadly I don't really know anyone with moar powah. (sorry, couldn't resist)
    It had to be done.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xigageshi View Post
    plus i'll have a spare power supply.
    Very useful and good thinking, though i personally would have just sold the older one to compensate a bit for the new more powerful one.

So what ones are you looking at in particular? Name your budget and i'll see what i can find ya.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I think the real reason we're a dying breed is because we have trouble breeding.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2010, 04:25 PM

Probably PSU related, check with FurMark.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2010, 05:19 PM

does it ever happen when your just using windows or other non graphical apps
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2010, 06:01 AM

Nvidia say that the minimum PSU required for the GTX 460 768 is a 450W so I would think the PSU is getting overloaded

How many PCI and network cards do you run? Hard drives? External drives?... you could try a PSU calculator like [URL="http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp"]This[/URL] - I've recently installed a new GTX 460 768 running 4Gb, 2 drives and 2 external drives no other cards or network drives and it came back saying I needed a minimum of 438 and recommended 468 and that was with only a duel core
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2010, 01:29 PM

You could try a 10% underclock on the card to prevent overloading the PSU. Use MSI Afterburner to do it.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2010, 02:11 PM

i would say your psu is almost certinly the problem
    replace it
    Gelid tranquillo rev 2
    8gb corsair vengenceLP
    xfx core 7850 2gb
    Asus zonar DG
    550w xfx pro
    antec three hundred
    Some crappy dvd drive and a collection of hard drives
    21.5 inch BenQ 1080p screen