Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games > PC Gamer Game Club

#1   Report Post  
    Old 06-28-2010, 12:47 AM

Lightbulb PC Gamer Game Club Week 1: Deus Ex

[CENTER][SIZE="6"]PC GAMER GAME CLUB[/SIZE][/center]

What is the PC Gamer Club?

The PC Gamer Club (PCGC for short) is where the great minds of the internets come together to talk about the game of the week.

How does the club work?

Each week a winner of the previous week's poll is chosen to take center stage in our discussion. Members have one week prior to the start of the current week's club to get a hold of the game, be it digital download, physical retailers, garage sales, or even those old floppies lying around since 1992. Throughout the week, members will play the game and give their feedback on what worked, what didn't, and how it stands up to today's standards. The week will officially start on Mondays, and run until the following Sunday.

How can I join?

The requirements of joining the PCGC are easy.

1. you must have a registered account in good standings at pcgamer.com.

2. you must own, rent, or borrow a copy of the game. That's it.

Do I have to participate every week?

Absolutely not. Come and go as you please.

Are there any costs?

Joining the club is 100% free. The only fee you may or may not be subject to is the cost of the game.

How much will the games cost?

We will hold costs down to $10 or less per week, barring any exceptions.

Where can I buy the games?

Each week a post with a link to a current e-tailer will be provided along with the game title. You're also encouraged to search ebay, craigslist, and other listings to find the best prices.

My PC is outdated by today's standards, will I be able to participate?

Absolutely. Most of the games we will be focusing on are categorized as "classic" titles. The hardware requirements will be kept to a minimum to ensure everyone gets a chance to participate.

Can we mod the game to our taste?

Well, it's your game, we can't tell you how to play it. However, you should keep in mind that the focus of conversation will be on based on the developer's original vision of the game. Mods often take away game mechanics that, no matter how trifle or trivial they may seem, are part of the original design. It makes for better conversation if you can adequately explain why a certain game feature distracted you from enjoying the game then patching it with a mod.

Will there be spoilers?

Absolutely. People play at their own pace, and because of that we have to disallow a ban on spoilers. To ban spoilers would handcuff the conversation until everyone catches up. It's a weekly affair, so for the sake of pace, we must keep the conversation flowing. Unfortunately, that means spoiling some key plots in games.

Can I take screenshots and post them in the conversation?

Absolutely, but try to keep them to a maximum of 1280x1024, so a) it doesn't warp the board, and b) people on dial-up (yes they do exist) can participate. Photobucket auto-resizes images to a max of 1280x1024, so uploading there is a safe bet.

I have a game I think everyone will love, how can I nominate it?

Games should be nominated in the PCGC weekly nomination thread. This thread, and all concurrent weekly game threads should contain only information relevant to the game that's in discussion.

Can I nominate console games?

Sorry, no. For obvious reasons.

What is the best way to participate?

The best way to participate is by following these basic and simple guidelines:

[INDENT][LIST][*]Be thorough. That doesn't mean you have to write a book (although if you want to go ahead). Try to make arguments that are clear and easy to understand by everyone. If a game sucks, don't just say it sucks, tell us why you think it sucks. Was it the game or was it one mechanic that threw you off? What could they have done to improve the game?

[*]Be respectful. Opinions are just that: opinions. They are subjective to the player, and so to argue your opinion is better or worse than another persons is as pointless as arguing if a cup is half full or half empty.

[*]Be vocal. Ask other members about their experiences and compare them to yours. Then debate them on theirs.
    [/LIST][/INDENT]

And last, but not least, HAVE FUN!

[SIZE="5"][CENTER]THIS WEEKS GAME: DEUS EX[/CENTER][/SIZE]

[CENTER][/CENTER]

GENRE: FPS/RPG

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: 300 MHz Pentium II or equlivalent, Windows 95/98, 64 MB RAM, DirectX 7.0a compliant 3D accelerated video card 16MB VRAM, Direct X 7.0a compliant sound card, Direct X 7.0a or higher (included), 150MB uncompressed hard drive space, Keyboard and Mouse

SYNOPSIS: (from wikipedia) Deus Ex is a cyberpunk-themed action role-playing game developed by Ion Storm Inc. and published by Eidos Interactive in the year 2000, which combines gameplay elements of first-person shooters with those of role playing games. The game received almost worldwide critical and industry acclaim, including being named "Best PC Game of All Time" in PC Gamer's Top 100 PC Games and in a poll carried out by UK gaming magazine PC Zone. It was a frequent candidate for and winner of Game of the Year awards, drawing praise for its pioneering designs in player choice and multiple narrative paths. It has sold more than 1 million copies, as of April 23, 2009.

Set in a dystopian world during the 2050s, the central plot follows rookie United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition agent JC Denton, as he sets out to combat terrorist forces, which have become increasingly prevalent in a world slipping ever further into chaos. As the plot unfolds, Denton becomes entangled in a deep and ancient conspiracy, encountering fictional recreations of organizations such as Majestic 12, the Illuminati, and the Hong Kong Triads throughout his journey.

PRICE: $10.00

STEAM LINK: [url]http://store.steampowered.com/app/6910/[/url]

Last edited by mosdefon1; 06-28-2010 at 02:41 AM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 06-28-2010, 02:29 AM

Sandro's journal

1st log on experiment Deus Ex:

I've booted the game and, after struggling with the graphics for a bit trying to get a screen resolution that won't eat half the screen, I began the tutorial or, as the game calls it, "Training".

First thing I noticed: The original keyboard configuration is really wonky, even for a game that old. It doesn't allows for extra mouse buttons beyond the right/left/mouse wheel. A bit disappointing. The original control schemes has some wildly crazy ideas, like using the right mouse button to interact and F12 to turn on the flash-light, while having no use whatsoever to the left control key, using x as the standard for crouch, and that's just crazy. On the bright side, the controls are largely re-bindable, so it wasn't such of a problem after all, but lack of mouse button support was really felt.

I immediately put the binds on more sane places, like f for flashlight and r to reload, while placing the scope on the mousewheel instead of on the other side of the keyboard. Also put "use" on tab for lack of better placement (q and e for leaning is, however, very useful and should be made the standard for every FPS to let you lean like that).

The training itself was wonky at best... you can't skip what you're being told and have to wait NPC rambling on... Not to mention that it is one of the most 4th-wall-bangingly tutorial I've ever heard while still trying to keep straight. The aiming mechanics are a bit weird, but rational. I've not the slightest clue of how I got past the contaminated water, as I received no cue as to whether I actually donned the suit or not, but considering the damage I received... maybe? I selected it and used it, but beyond that it is uncertain...

No minigame on lockpicking, meaning it is completely reliant on your skill and nothing else. I can live with that. But hacking works the exact same way, so I end feeling that the game may rail-road you just by denying you lock-picks and multi-tools regardless of your skill, but that is still to be seem.

I go through some fairly standard stealth action and notice enemies suffer from "metal-gearititis", that is, patrolling soldiers can't see anything more than 5 measly meters beyond their LoS. While a bit disappointing, it also means I'll have tons of chance to toy with the poor souls.

I kill the robot guarding the bridge by poking my head out and luring it to a few explosive boxes, after I had sneaked past it for a gun. But after getting the multi-tool hidden in the box and going for the device that would bring the bridge down I accidentally aimed away from the bridge in the middle of the operation and couldn't resume, because that made me expend my multi-tool.

So the training concluded with my jumping down to the acidic contaminated water and wait for the sweet embrace of death in that death-trap of a "training"...

Tomorrow, if the Gods are willing, I'll resume on to the actual game.
    Even Death may die
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 06-28-2010, 04:44 AM

Well, Sandro, the NPCs -can- see beyond the measly 5 meters, but that's only if you stupidly stand still for longer than 30 seconds, in which their brain-servo functions will finally kick in that it's an enemy that they're staring at from a football field's length, and then they'll start shooting. It doesn't take a lot to lose them, though, just run around a corner and hide with a shotgun. Works every time.

Anyways, my thoughts. It's been years since I've gotten back in Deus Ex (last time I recall was when I was 7... and I cheated my way through the game) so I was looking forward to playing through it again.

The game still has one of its greatest and most obvious aspects to it: choice. There are just SO MANY choices to complete an objective, it's not even funny. There are some which probably would have never occurred to me if it hadn't been for reading around on it (killing Anna Navarre on the 747?! I never thought of that!).

Even better was when having to activate the satellite dish on top of the warehouse with all the UNATCO troopers in it; I completely circumvented a huge firefight by simply using a sniper rifle to kill the roof guards, the outer guards, then using my speed augmentation to get away to safety.

I'm currently breaking out of the MJ12 facility in the story. All I've got is a handgun with two clips, a chocolate candy bar, 2 multitools, a lockpick, and a baton.

More than enough to turn this facility into a hellhole.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 06-28-2010, 04:45 AM

I have a neurotic OCD aversion to playing games, watching shows/movies, or reading books out of chronological order. God I hate prequels lol, so I'll be playing the old one after the new
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 06-28-2010, 07:23 AM

well. managed to drage myself through the tutorial- ish. I too got stuck at the bridge section- accidentally blowing my legs and one arm off when trying to use the crates to kill the bot. But instead of opting to drown- i let the bot kill me...

In the main game- i lured the two first guargs at the statue of liberty to their deaths by shamlessly running behind the bot. The next one (i headed right) i killed by trhowing an explosives crate at him. hurt a bit- but i didn't loose any l.imbs this time.

The next two i distracted by throwing some smokes before walking up behind them and calmly executing them with my pistol (quickly).

then teh wife called me to help her get something off the top of a cupboard and havn't been back on... yet :-)

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 06-28-2010, 08:19 AM

first thing i love about booting up DE is that music. such great atmosphere setter to get you up and buffed.

I too have struggled with the graphics on my new demon pc. it runs too quickly.

i went the other way and took the gep gun for giggles and started mowing down everything in my path, that is until i ran out of ammo and then picked up the tnt box and 'threw' (aka dropped) it squarely at my feet killing me instantly. it always got me that lmb/rmb differential!

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 06-28-2010, 09:22 AM

I had to have two goes at playing Deus Ex. The first time the graphics really put me off, along with the appalling voice acting and poor animation. Even for a game of that era it looks astonishingly poor.

The second time, a few years later, I managed to get into it and it suddenly 'clicked'. It's an amazing game, but it takes a lot of work to get into it and appreciate it for what it is.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 06-28-2010, 11:25 AM

My favorite memory of Deus Ex is throwing a hissy-fit at my monitor when my brother was going to die and told me to leave him to his fate. I was like "I wouldn't do that, game!" I was upset because I assumed it was a scripted event and it made no sense to me.

Moments later the enemy was at the door and I fought to save my brother, and from that moment on I never questioned Deus Ex.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 06-28-2010, 08:27 PM

This should be stickied :P

Edit: Question; are we going to have any more chat room discussions in Steam?

Last edited by p0rtalthinker; 06-28-2010 at 08:31 PM.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 06-28-2010, 08:45 PM

Oh Deus Ex, how I both loathe and adore you in equal measures.

I'll be honest. Deus Ex and I have never particularly seen eye to eye. It seems to take a personal dislike to me, and nothing made this clearer than my replay of mission one.

I'm an older and wiser gamer than the youngling that scooped up Deus Ex those many years ago. Stealth was a bewildering concept to me back then. One that suggested long periods of boredom followed by even longer periods of being dead. So I played Deus Ex as a shooter, and as a shooter, it fails miserably.

Bluntly put, the combat AI is awful, people run around like headless chickens and fire wildly at each-other from feet away. This is years before the idea of AI taking cover was thought of, and it shows. They're completely bonkers, making combat a scrappy, unpleasant affair.

Years later, an older, more experienced Cirius picks up Deus Ex, and enters the 'gaming zone'. That is, I made a cup of tea, grabbed some toast, and dived in. This time, the game made more sense. I was an agent, I wore sunglasses in the dark. Stealth should be my friend.

Thus, with the shadows as my ally, I sneaked my way into a dystopian future.

I ghosted the level. No-one saw me, no-one. I wasn't even a myth passed down to their grandchildren years later about 'that time they almost killed JC Denton.' No, I was a sun-glass-wearing console-manipulating long-coated ninja. So I reach the top of ol' liberty herself. My mission is complete, and I've caused zero impact on my surroundings.

And then it happens. Deus Ex reminds me who's really in charge. I can plan my plans, I can play the game, but all the while, Deus Ex has been playing me right back. The realization that my allies have stormed the statue and gunned down everyone and everything within it brings a cool shiver to my spine. The brutality of the move is a beautiful contrast to the past half hour I spent slipping past the guards, and it's a move that has a massive impact on me.

To be blunt. I snapped. The guard sent to relieve me at the top of the tower, the one who callously told me what had happened down below. Well, they're never going to find his body, never.

Tags

deus ex, pcg game club, week 1