Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU)

#1   Report Post  
    Old 10-17-2010, 05:06 PM

Default Patch pfft...

If anyone out there could possibly make a suggestion on how on earth I could resolve the following, I will love you like no other.....

Haven't been able to play since the patch as, when the update goes to install, I keep getting an error message stating that " The disk does not have enough space to install Blizzard Updater. please free up space"

I have been to the Blizz help section, but all it suggests is to make room on my hard drive ( I have 12gigs free, for a 5[ish]gig update) or that I should defrag my hard drive ( which I have of course done) but still no luck..... sad face

As it takes a few hours on each attempt to update then install, I only get one or two attempts a night, so this has meant no play since Weds, which is a bit bum really.

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help!
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 10-17-2010, 05:37 PM
    Banned

I have heard somewhere that you need more than that free, something like 30Gb if I recall. Don't know WHY you'd need that much, mind.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 10-18-2010, 08:55 AM

I had this exact same problem.

For some reason when the patch was being downloaded on the Wednesday it wanted to re-install WoW to enable everything. This of course takes somewhere between 20 and 30GB.

Thankfully I had the luxury of being able to copy WoW onto an external hardrive and deleteing it from my PC, therefore letting the update run, and have enough space to allow it to reinstall WoW. The advantage of this was that I had a back up in case it did go wrong (I would advise this) and also all my screenshots, add ons etc were not lost.

I have no idea why it decdied to do this and as I only have a 75GB harddrive there was no hope of it holding 2 copies of WoW plus all of my other files so this was the only solution for me.

I will double check on this as my partner ended up doing it for me whilst I was at work, but this is what I interpretted from what he said!
    Hope that this is some kind of help!
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 AM

I have heard that its because the 5gb is compressed and needs a 'breather' to extract and install. Do you have any other apps that could be interfering with your connection (Steam/IM etc?) I ask the obvious like firewall etc - not sure if this would help? Maybe it needs to 'talk' with Blizzard?

Have you tried the repair tool? Might assist in verifying your files?

I had issues when i reinstalled on my new hard drive from disk. I copied the files from disk to my desktop and ran the installer from there to let it run concurrently. Worked like a dream.

I have wow on its own seperate drive (500gb drive) so that it'll never run low on space. I keep my other games (like my ever growing steam profile) on a dedicated drive which seems to help performance.

Hope that this helps.

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 10-18-2010, 07:57 PM

Thanks all for the response. Aye, I have only an 80gb HD, so have deleted an awful lot, till I had about 27gb free, then I could finally install, phew!!!!

Now, if someone could tell me what the heck they have done to the talents, and how on earth they work now, that would be magic

Oh, and Hunters use focus now? wth? lol so far removed from how my first Hunter played....
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 10-20-2010, 12:50 PM

I think this issue was because the fi9les needed to unpack before they installed and then deleted themselves as they went, so the final install is smaller than the total space required for the install.
    I think...
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 10-20-2010, 01:28 PM

Think of it like this. (numbers are made-up-ish)

Download : 5GB .... it's compressed. So...
    Extract download : 5-7GB.... These are the installation files. They can still be somewhat compressed. So...
    Install Files: 5-10GB.

None of these are removed until the process is complete.

So you could be looking at easily a 20GB total disk space requirement for what is a 5GB download.

Dobalina ... WoW PCG Guild
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 10-20-2010, 01:34 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Now, if someone could tell me what the heck they have done to the talents, and how on earth they work now, that would be magic
    They've basically pruned the trees, removed most of the old "Gives 1% to X if such and such happens". Now its mostly abilities and tangible effects. You should see the Paladin trees, changed beyong belief. I play protection, probably changed the most. Some of the core abilities were moved to the talent tree and now act as passives (Blessing of sanctuary, holy shield) and the overall aim of the whole thing seems to be making me uncritable, since defense rating was removed.

Tags

too many alts!