Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

View Poll Results: Which PC is better for gaming for price and performance?
    Dell XPS 8500 0 0%
    Dell XPS 8300 0 0%
    Other (please post) 3 100.00%
    Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Report Post  
    Old 05-01-2013, 02:36 PM

Default Dell XPS 8300 vs 8500 vs anything else?

So I'm thinking about investing in a gaming PC but I really don't know what to look for. I don't know which CPU or GPU is better, all I know about that is the higher the clock speed, the better the unit. So I basically need advice on what PC to buy really. My budget is under £1000 but under £700 would be ideal. I want the PC to play games like SimCity 5, Minecraft and probably in the future a few "intensive" games I might be interested in. I really want the best PC for the job. It would also be ideal if the PC was future proofed.
    The two PC's I've seen are the Dell XPS 8300 and the XPS 8500. What's the real difference between these two? Is there anything better than them for the price?

Here's the specs for the 8300:
    [url]http://www.pcworld.com/product/788982/xps-8300-midsize-tower-desktop.html[/url]
    And the 8500:
    [url]http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-8500/pd[/url]

Also which version of the 8500 is the best for money and performance?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 05-01-2013, 02:45 PM

Dells are a waste of money, would you consider building it yourself? It's not very difficult at all
    MSI Z77A-GD55
    VTX3D 7870 Tahiti LE
    8GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz
    Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD
    Western Digital SATAIII 1TB x2
    Corsair GS700w

My Blog

My Steam
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 05-01-2013, 03:53 PM

-8300 is decent, you don't really need an i7 for gaming, and the ATI 5870 is knocking on a bit, but still capable.

-8500 with the i5-3350P & GTX 660 would make for the best gaming system of the two IMO.

Generally these off the shelf systems don't use the best parts overall to keep costs down & are difficult to upgrade. As Ork says building your own is a good way to go. If your confident to do so, you could build something just as good, with parts you know & learn something.
    Zowie AM-GS/Filco Maj.2 (mx brown)/Senn.PC360/Corsair SP2500

---------------------------
    Self built PC problems Here
    Can i run game XYZ Here
    How do PSU's work Here
    Whats in your PC Here
    Keep your PC clean Here
    How to build a PC Here & Here
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatcobra View Post
    -8300 is decent, you don't really need an i7 for gaming, and the ATI 5870 is knocking on a bit, but still capable.

-8500 with the i5-3350P & GTX 660 would make for the best gaming system of the two IMO.

Generally these off the shelf systems don't use the best parts overall to keep costs down & are difficult to upgrade. As Ork says building your own is a good way to go. If your confident to do so, you could build something just as good, with parts you know & learn something.
    I'd love to build one but I wouldn't know what to buy. Is there not a site that builds them for you and sends them to you. Even then I still wouldn't know what to put in the PC. What GPU, CPU ect. If you could suggest a build then I might consider it. Also i thought that i7 processors were better for gaming?
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 05-01-2013, 07:28 PM

[URL="http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/UiYZ"]This[/URL] build would last you for a long time if you were building right now and it has a good 750w PSU that would allow SLI in the future. However, Nvidia are releasing their new GPU's this month and Intel's Haswell processors are out on the 3rd of June so I would wait for a month if possible.
    MSI Z77A-GD55
    VTX3D 7870 Tahiti LE
    Corsair GS700w

My Blog

My Steam
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orkgutz View Post
    [URL="http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/UiYZ"]This[/URL] build would last you for a long time if you were building right now and it has a good 750w PSU that would allow SLI in the future. However, Nvidia are releasing their new GPU's this month and Intel's Haswell processors are out on the 3rd of June so I would wait for a month if possible.
    What does this compare to the two dells though. Is there much improvement. The price has gone up to near £1000 compared to the dells. Also does buying from here mean I'd have to build the pc myself?
    Surely the price is going to be even higher as well if I wait for these new components to be released. Isn't buying them going to increase the overall spend. Or would it be best getting the same components you listed as they may have gone down in price by that time?
    I sound like such a nagging twit don't I
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 05-01-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePoundDollar View Post
    I sound like such a nagging twit don't I
    Haha no ofc you don't, you're spending a considerable amount of money and I'd think you were a twit if you didn't want to know these things.

The build I've suggested would rip the Dell apart. It has an SSD for faster OS loading times and just overall improved opening times when using Windows. The GTX 670 I've suggested will comfortably beat all of Dell's offerings and the GT640 that you get with the 8500 is terrible for gaming so there's be no point buying it.

I could make a build closer to £700 if you want that would show you what sort of specs you could get at the lower end of your budget if you want, but I strongly advise you wait a little over a month and get the newer kit.

*edit* Most importantly over the Dell all the components I've selected are high quality and reliable whereas Dell (like all prebuilt companies) will cheap out on things like the motherboard and power supply.
    MSI Z77A-GD55
    VTX3D 7870 Tahiti LE
    Corsair GS700w

My Blog

My Steam

Last edited by Orkgutz; 05-01-2013 at 08:50 PM.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 05-01-2013, 08:55 PM

Talking

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orkgutz View Post
    Haha no ofc you don't, you're spending a considerable amount of money and I'd think you were a twit if you didn't want to know these things.

The build I've suggested would rip the Dell apart. It has an SSD for faster OS loading times and just overall improved opening times when using Windows. The GTX 670 I've suggested will comfortably beat all of Dell's offerings and the GT640 that you get with the 8500 is terrible for gaming so there's be no point buying it.

I could make a build closer to £700 if you want that would show you what sort of specs you could get at the lower end of your budget if you want, but I strongly advise you wait a little over a month and get the newer kit.

*edit* Most importantly over the Dell all the components I've selected are high quality and reliable whereas Dell (like all prebuilt companies) will cheap out on things like the motherboard and power supply.
    I might as well not waste your time making you build another one. I'll wait another month so check back here soon! When's the release date for the components so I can put them in my calendar as a reminder. Also before I go, thanks for all your help, really appreciated
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 PM

Nmind I slow...
    Case:Thermaltake V3 Black Edition||Screen:40" LCD-RCA

Last edited by Masterflaw; 05-01-2013 at 09:02 PM.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 05-01-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterflaw View Post
    Nmind I slow...
    Hate that when you spend ages writing a post and someone gets there first
    MSI Z77A-GD55
    VTX3D 7870 Tahiti LE
    Corsair GS700w