Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

View Poll Results: Touch is ___, worth spending ___ extra.
    Necessary (+$300 / +10%) 1 7.69%
    a Luxury (+$150 / +5%) 0 0%
    an Extra (+$75 / +2.5%) 1 7.69%
    Pointless (+$0 / +0%) 11 84.62%
    Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM

Arrow Touch Screen Gaming Laptop Poll

Full Poll Question:
    I feel that a touch screen on a high-end gaming laptop is _________ and would be willing to pay up to _________ extra for this feature. (Hypothetically, with no other drawbacks.)

* I’ll preface by saying that I am solely interested in Win 8 Pro (not Win 7 or other), and I have no doubt Microsoft will push very hard for its widespread adoption and support. Oh, and I posted the same poll on the Penny Arcade forums.*

With the proliferation of touch screen devices over the past decade, and the recent swing in the development ecosystem to prioritize Mobile over traditional Desktop applications ([URL="http://www.drdobbs.com/240146757"]http://www.drdobbs.com/240146757[/URL]), I fear that any new PC without a touch interface will be at a severe disadvantage in the near future. Windows 8 is blatantly built for touch and, due to its interface overlap with RT and WinPhone, there are likely to be many Apps in the Windows Store that are designed with touch solely in mind. Look no further than MS’s own Smartglass and Surface devices for their vision of the future, or to Intel who recently announced their commitment to touch interfaces for future Ultrabooks ([URL="http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/kirk-skaugen-interview"]http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/kirk-skaugen-interview[/URL]).

Enter my family (and I imagine many others), who are now in the market for a high-end gaming, desktop-replacement laptop (models in the ~$3000 range, similar to the Origin EON17-S / SLX, the Alienware M17x / M18x, or the MSI GT70), but can’t find anything with an integrated touch screen. If our current laptop is any indication, this next machine will last nearly 5 years and still be going strong, and needs every advantage to be future-proof. Unfortunately, I’m not sure this machine will become available anytime soon, and thought the best way to figure out the odds of the “supply” would be to poll the “demand” – you! That, and my sheer curiosity about if we’re the only ones in this predicament; please, share your thoughts and insights.

Last edited by graven2002; 01-25-2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Added Full Poll Question
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to evil_noodles

I feel that a touch screen on a high-end gaming laptop is absolutely pointless and would be willing to pay up to one million dollars (Dr Evil finger to lip) extra for this feature to be men in black style memory-erased from every single human.

Touch screens, meh!
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2013, 01:58 PM

you will never use touch screen in gaming a mouse will always be better, unless your playing a old adventure game where you just click objects on the screen.

also my god the finger prints, you will be for ever cleaning the screen it's bad enough on a mobile phone you get a decent size screen on a laptop it will be hell.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2013, 02:33 PM

I would never feel a touch screen on a laptop is necessary. It just doesn't make much sense to use Windows as a tablet to begin with, especially since Android and iOS are much better suited for that.

As for Intel forcing touch screens on ultrabooks, I'm happy I have a non touch ultrabook. Next time I buy a laptop though, I'll probably just buy a rMBP since the market will have bunch of touch screen ultrabooks, costing extra.
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula || G.SKILL 32GB Ripjaws X || NZXT Hale90 1000w
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB || 2x128GB Plextor M3
    2x 27" Yamakasi Catleap + Dell Ultrasharp
    Zowie AM || Too many keyboards. (Using reds atm) || ARTISAN VE White
    Steam Profile
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2013, 06:00 PM

Play dead trigger on a nexus 7, you will then understand how utterly pointless and unresponsive touch screen controls are.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I think the real reason we're a dying breed is because we have trouble breeding.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2013, 07:36 PM

I'm not concerned with using the touch interface for gaming in particular, it's more for all the other experiences. I agree that it would be useless for high end games themselves; it would be useful for the navigation of the metro UI and all the applications that are designed with that in mind. Sorry if that was misleading.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2013, 07:41 PM

still pretty pointless, if I want to use touch screen I'd use a phone or a tablet, using a PC the mouse is always better than your fingers this is why people nearly always want a stylus for touch screen.

but then I also see the windows 8 UI as the most pointless thing to ever be put on a PC, it just has no place at all to be on a PC.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by graven2002 View Post
    I'm not concerned with using the touch interface for gaming in particular, it's more for all the other experiences. I agree that it would be useless for high end games themselves; it would be useful for the navigation of the metro UI and all the applications that are designed with that in mind. Sorry if that was misleading.
    What would you use on Metro that would make touch screen so valuable?
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula || G.SKILL 32GB Ripjaws X || NZXT Hale90 1000w
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB || 2x128GB Plextor M3
    2x 27" Yamakasi Catleap + Dell Ultrasharp
    Zowie AM || Too many keyboards. (Using reds atm) || ARTISAN VE White
    Steam Profile
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tr4656 View Post
    What would you use on Metro that would make touch screen so valuable?
    Although there isn't anything right now that necessitates having a touch screen, between the current software trends and the ecosystem MS is encouraging, it's only a matter of time before there are plenty of experiences that would be severely degraded by the lack of touch.

I've played around quite a bit with touch screen laptops and Win8 and feel more comfortable using the screen than the trackpad for many interactions (especially using gestures).
    It was much more intuitive to reach up a tap / grab, than to mouse over with the new interface.

This will be the primary machine for our household; ideally, I want it to be capable of anything.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
    I've played around quite a bit with touch screen laptops and Win8 and feel more comfortable using the screen than the trackpad for many interactions
    that's because windows 8 was designed to combat Android and iOS rather than be a PC operating system, it's why they use the same UI in the phones and tablets, they went for a one size fits all UI.

as for this being the way forward the designer for Win 8 "left MS of his own free will" not long after release.

Tags

gaming laptop, touch, windows 8