Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#1   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 02:32 AM
    Banned

Default The Hobbit

Is it possible to care any less about seeing this film?

The book was pretty naff, and very short 200 odd pages I think. It was no LOTR in plotline complexity either.... How can it be another trilogy?

WTF are they doing? Who in their right mind is interested in it? LOTR was coated in hollywood fuzz (my term for an intangible quality in many big budget movies) and hasn't aged well.

It might be just me, but the LOTR series was epic and awesome back when.... but I feel it was a set of 3 films that didn't generate a lot of lasting love.

I dunno, I think we're in a real paucity of movies at the moment....Having said that, it's a golden age of TV shows. BB, SoA, GoT just to name a few...

but The Hobbit, in 3 parts...No thanks, I don't even think I'll bother to download it illegally.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 02:44 AM

I could still sit through LOTR, I don't think it's aged all that badly maybe that's because I've always liked the books.

I was quite pleased when they announced they were making the Hobbit but after hearing that they were splitting the story into 3 parts I was a bit dubious, it just sounds like blatant profiteering to me - milking the franchise for all it's worth.
    -8GB kingston DDR3 1333MHz HyperXBlu Red
    -Corsair 650w psu
    -Win 7

Void Destroyer - Space Sim meets RTS
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 03:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell

For my oldest child - LOTR is her Trilogy. I'm not sure how you can not see all the love that is out there for this series of films. There have been cons, cosplay event, meetup events and a ton of fan made homages.

SW has it beat only by age.

When I took my kids to see it a lot of people were dressed up in LOTR gear or more like medieval renaissance gear.

I am interested to see what changes the film has done to the original lore and how well it will match up. My kid is just excited to see characters she has now read about on the screen.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 AM

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of LotR, despite the fact that they're great films. I've never read any of Tolkien's books, nor played any of its adaptation games. The trilogy was awesome, but Star Wars made more cultural impact to me than LotR.

Nevertheless, will watch the movie on IMAX, half of the reason is because they have a nine minutes footage of Star Trek into Darkness before the movie starts.

Last edited by Rudorlf; 12-03-2012 at 04:30 AM.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 06:05 AM
    Banned

The Lord of the Rings is one of the most popular trilogies out there, everyone still loves it. Not sure where you're getting the idea that it hasn't aged well because it's still brilliant and wipes the floor with the Star Wars trilogy.

As for the Hobbit being split into three lengthy movies; good. The more hours we get to spend in Middle Earth the better.

Currently there are millions of people interested in the new Hobbit movies and I'm willing to bet good money that most of them feel very differently to Congo.

Although when the Lord of the Rings came out I bet he was the first to rail against how awesome the LotR trilogy was.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 07:08 AM

fell asleep in two of the three lotr films.

the books are, largely, interminable. Some good stuff in there, once you get past the bloody poems and length descriptions of, oh look, another hill.

As for the hobbit trilogy- it's milking a 'franchise' and nothing more. Can safely say i don't think i'll ever watch them.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 AM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    the books are, largely, interminable. Some good stuff in there, once you get past the bloody poems and length descriptions of, oh look, another hill.
    The Lord of the Rings books were pretty badly written. Tolkien had a tendency to have his characters go off on boring, unconvincing monologues about generations of hobbit genealogy and various muddy fields. Excellent source material for game worlds though.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 08:38 AM

I can understand why they made LotR movies first - it had more pull. The Hobbit was a prequel to LotR and was written like a fairytale for kids. So it was a quite simple and enjoyable to read. I guess they are going SW route with it (create epic films with lots of action first and then release prequel if it was a success).
    I will definitely go see all three movies and I expect them to be just as great as LotR trilogy (judging by trailers they will be).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    The Lord of the Rings books were pretty badly written. Tolkien had a tendency to have his characters go off on boring, unconvincing monologues about generations of hobbit genealogy and various muddy fields. Excellent source material for game worlds though.
    That's not badly written, just not written to your liking.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 08:48 AM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arobein View Post
    That's not badly written, just not written to your liking.
    By the literary standards set by novels considered great and good it's badly written. The Lord of the Rings was written more like a textbook than anything and left a lot of room for improvement. It was functional but there was very little flair. Don't get me wrong, it's excellent source material it's just his literary technique is a little lacking when it comes to properly involving the reader and drawing him in.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 AM

I loved the book but.. it's going to be a trilogy? I hope they know what they're doing. I'll just wait and see until I actually watch the movie. The book's short and I don't think they can expand that to a trilogy.