Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#1   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 03:38 AM

Default WoW

I have been wondering about World of Warcraft and if it's any good. So, I found pcgamer and decided to see what your opinions were and if I should get it or not. I do know you have to pay monthly and want to know if that was worth or not too. So, thanks and give me suggestions.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 07:03 AM

If you're into MMOs, then yes, I mean it's the standard for many MMORPGs right now. If you can stand many hours of non-stop WoW sessions, then go right ahead. I once played WoW, it's a great game, but I just don't play that often so I stopped. That was during The Burning Crusade expansion mind you, and I'm hearing people not liking the current updates and expansions for the game. The latest one seems decent, so I heard.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 07:41 AM

It's the best MMO ever made, I don't think anybody can argue with that. When every MMO that is currently around - thousands of them - have died, WoW will still be standing among their corpses. You don't need to ask us what it's like, you can play for free until level 20 I think. You do quests, kill monsters, get experience, level up, get more powerful, do more quests, reach max level, do raids and instances for the best gear and so on and so forth.

Now, it isn't as good as it used to be. I've recently started playing again after a 4-year break. I quit during Wrath of the Lich King expansion, disgusted at how easy and instantly gratifying the game had become. It still is that easy and it makes me a little bit sad everytime I think about it because while I understand WHY Blizzard made all the changes they've made and why those changes were necessary, I definitely believe WoW lost something along the way. Whether it was atmosphere, depth, challenge, I dunno, but something is definitely gone and I can tell you exactly when it went - the day Lich King expansion was released.

Anyway, give it a try if you want. I recomment playing as one of the old characters and starting in the "old world" as I like to call it. So that'd be human, dwarf, night elf, gnome for the alliance and orc, tauren, troll, undead for the horde. The old world WAS the best and it still is too.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 09:17 AM

Best is subjective. It's the most popular MMO in the West, although there must be MMO games with a larger player base in the Far East but popularity doesn't mean that it is indeed the best. If you like popular entertainment in other fields, (TV, books, films, etc), then give it a go. If you are a bit picky about your entertainment, then there are arguably better MMO's out there for someone with slightly different tastes.

Two MMO's that are worth looking into are Eve Online and Guild Wars 2. Eve is a player driven sc-fi space ship game with a monthly fee, but it has a free trial, whereas GW2 has a traditional fantasy setting, but no monthly fee.

There are also a number of good free to play MMO's out there, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, etc, so you do have choices.

If you want informed recommendations from people, then you need to give them more details, such as:

1. Have you played a MMO before.
    2. Do you intend to play the MMO with friends or just solo it.
    3. What type of games do you enjoy? (top 10)

WOW has a bit of a marmite effect on many gamers, (people either seem to love it or hate it), and many gamers go a step further and either love or hate the entire MMO genre.

Me? I have played a few MMO games in my time, so I'm not a MMO hater, but the grind thing is an incredible mind numbing waste of time, but they are usually more about the social aspect than innovative / interesting game play. That said, the game itself has to be interesting enough to keep you playing, and different games interest people in different ways. Speaking personally, I have never been in the slightest bit tempted to play WOW, as I dislike the graphics, and regard it as the worst offender when it comes to pointless grind.

Regards - Mr P
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 AM

give the free trial a go if you are unsure.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 03:01 PM

Oh, I didn't know there was a trial. See that shows how much of a noob I am! LOL!
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestions btw.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 03:22 PM
    Banned

I'd suggest Guild Wars 2 instead actually. No subs so you can dive in whenever you want once you've bought the base game.

World of Warcraft would be pretty expensive to play right now since you'd have to buy all of the expansions as well as set up the subscription.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 03:25 PM

Alright I will take that into consideration.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 06:10 PM

The game's dying off and Blizzard are trying hard to hide this fact.
    Many servers are dead and plenty of people are stuck on them.
    Instead of merging them or giving people free transfers they're screwing over players by forcing them to pay to transfer to better ones.

Tags

wow