Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#1   Report Post  
    Old 10-20-2012, 01:47 PM

Post The British Empire

Gather round the table and i'll tell you a story of a country's empire on which the sun never sets; So relax and sit back and read a blog that could blow your mind
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 09:34 PM
    Banned

That was fascinating.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 09:39 PM
    Banned

I liked the part where there wasn't a blog.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 PM

I'll tell you that story real quick. Britain stole a ton of land, raped it of its resources, sold its people as slaves, forced them to import opium, regularly starved to death the families of "rebels" in camps where rape and sexual torture was fairly common, controlled a third of the landmass of the earth and something like 50% of all its wealth but distributed it among a tiny handful of aristocrats and elites while the general population worked long hours for literally just enough pay to eat a little bit of bread each day with the vast majority of the nation living in wooden huts or shacks in streets riddled with piss and shit.

Oh but it was a glorious empire. We taught those brown savages how to play cricket.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 PM
    Banned

You're such a cheery fellow Dayve. Except the British Empire didn't do most of that, abolished slavery globally, brought peace, science, progress and civilisation to all corners of the globe, gave the world the modern age including industrialisation, modern medicine and modern schools of thought, and sacrificed the entire Empire stopping the evils of Imperial Japan and the Third Reich and faced nuclear obliteration stopping the Soviet Union too. Just for laughs.

Last edited by TheXand; 11-29-2012 at 09:48 PM.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 09:54 PM

I did coursework on how the British Empire brought democracy to the world, and raped it to the fucking core. I look upon the British Empire with pride and shame.... Much like I do after a 14inch Pizzahut Stuffed Crust.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    I'll tell you that story real quick. Britain stole a ton of land, raped it of its resources, sold its people as slaves, forced them to import opium, regularly starved to death the families of "rebels" in camps where rape and sexual torture was fairly common, controlled a third of the landmass of the earth and something like 50% of all its wealth but distributed it among a tiny handful of aristocrats and elites while the general population worked long hours for literally just enough pay to eat a little bit of bread each day with the vast majority of the nation living in wooden huts or shacks in streets riddled with piss and shit.

Oh but it was a glorious empire. We taught those brown savages how to play cricket.
    And thats a tradition that the united states seem hell bent on continuing.
    Only they play some weird devil sport called "Handegg"
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shriven View Post
    I did coursework on how the British Empire brought democracy to the world, and raped it to the fucking core. I look upon the British Empire with pride and shame.... Much like I do after a 14inch Pizzahut Stuffed Crust.
    That's such a common misconception. Our "empire" was more like a corporate takeover to increase productivity of subject nations since the natives were doing such a piss poor job of managing their own resources and were so hellbent on genociding each other. We stepped in, took control, and brought an end to the bloodshed and brought wealth and riches to their land. I mean really, how far would you have gotten with a golden goose if all you did was rape it and then kill it. It's all about productivity and efficiency, and genocide and pillaging just doesn't quite cut it I'm afraid. There's literally no evidence to support the view that the British committed genocide.

I look on the Empire and it's achievements with immense pride.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    You're such a cheery fellow Dayve. Except the British Empire didn't do most of that, abolished slavery globally, brought peace, science, progress and civilisation to all corners of the globe, gave the world the modern age including industrialisation, modern medicine and modern schools of thought, and sacrificed the entire Empire stopping the evils of Imperial Japan and the Third Reich and faced nuclear obliteration stopping the Soviet Union too. Just for laughs.
    Abolished slavery after getting rich from slavery. Brought peace after brutal invasions and suppression of any and all attempts to regain freedom. Brought science, progress and civilization to countries that had been building breath-takingly beautiful and complex marble palaces for centuries. Forced upon the world an industrial system of slavery in factories owned by the rich which they never asked for whereas life before had been one of farming your own private, pollution-free land. Modern medicine which the Germans invented, modern schools of thought - providing that thought was utter submission to a foreign people for the enrichment of a tiny handful who cared only about wealth and power. Sacrificed the lives of hundreds of thousands of young men fighting to stop that land they had stolen from being pillaged by anybody but the British royal family. Faced nuclear obliteration by getting involved in a dick-measuring contest between the two most paranoid and aggressive nations on earth.

Shove your opinions, right up where the sun never sets (or shines either).

And stop looking upon things you had nothing to do with with pride. You can't have pride in something you did not achieve, and you didn't achieve it.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    That's such a common misconception. Our "empire" was more like a corporate takeover to increase productivity of subject nations since the natives were doing such a piss poor job of managing their own resources and were so hellbent on genociding each other. We stepped in, took control, and brought an end to the bloodshed and brought wealth and riches to their land. I mean really, how far would you have gotten with a golden goose if all you did was rape it and then kill it. It's all about productivity and efficiency, and genocide and pillaging just doesn't quite cut it I'm afraid. There's literally no evidence to support the view that the British committed genocide.

I look on the Empire and it's achievements with immense pride.

Whilst I think that most other countries put in the same position would probably have been worse custodians of the world, the British empire did not "bring democracy and culture to people genociding themselves" and have a fair few despicable acts to their name.
    Whilst it seems to be hip to condemn the British empire through ignorance, its also important not to exhonerate them for the same reason.

Tags

civ5