Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Magazine and site talk

#1   Report Post  
    Old 10-21-2012, 02:58 PM

Default how about a "promotion' forum section?

I notice other forums have sections purely for self promotion, sharing game projects, things like that.

why doesn't this forum have that? the "Games" section is littered with people spamming their projects. i'm not saying there should be an end to it, cause i have learned about some decent projects from the people doing that. but there should be a specific place for it imo.

not sure if this has been requested or talked about before but i'm sure i'm not the only member that thinks this would be a good idea.

Looking 4 Indie bundles? http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 10-22-2012, 01:14 PM

wow nobody has any thoughts on this?

Looking 4 Indie bundles? http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 10-22-2012, 07:09 PM

We definitely need this the amount of youtube promotion in the games section and off topic is getting out of control.

STEAM
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 10-22-2012, 07:17 PM

to be honest if you make a forum for it your just going to end up with even more hit and runs playing on the fact it is what the forum is meant for.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 10-22-2012, 08:04 PM

Just add the following to the rules:
    Quote:
    No self promotion threads, not even if you are pretending to be someone who just "found this cool thing"
    Problem solved.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 PM

I have no problem with self promotion, if it is done sensibly like you lot with your sigs, you contributing to the site and your contributing is promoting you stuff, so you helping the community but also getting your stuff noticed.

it's self promoting without being part of the community that should be stopped.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 10-22-2012, 08:10 PM

Which is why I amended my rule to say "threads". I think that is fair, no threads means you have to do it in your sig which means you have to be taking part to get it noticed.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 10-22-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jon_hill987 View Post
    Just add the following to the rules:

Problem solved.
    I think adding that to the rules (which I can't seem to quote) would only mean that no promotion of games would be allowed. Which wouldn't work well on a games forum. Who determines who is pretending? (EDIT: on every count of promotion).
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alm View Post
    I think adding that to the rules (which I can't seem to quote) would only mean that no promotion of games would be allowed. Which wouldn't work well on a games forum. Who determines who is pretending? (EDIT: on every count of promotion).
    if you can't create a thread doing a hit and run it means you either need a more complex bot to post multiple posts to spread your sig about, but these bots are very very easy to spot (even the good ones)

so one you remove the self promotion threads (it's even obvious to spot the "OMG! I just found game X" threads) and the bots the only real way to self promote becomes to post your self contributing to the forums, now if it is too much work for them to contribute to the forums they will bugger off, if it isn't they will post become a part of the community and we will actually care about their stuff if it interests people.

as for the problem of it being a games site and people posting about games, you can see a mile off the people who post about a game and actually want to have a discussion about it, so really it isn't a massive problem.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 10-23-2012, 07:01 AM

As much as I dislike the self-promotion spams, I don't think a separate section for them would be a practical solution.

If such a section did exist and the spammers did post in there (pfff!), I for one wouldn't bother to view it because I wouldn't want to read any of that stuff. Once the spammers saw they weren't getting any views, they'd post in the sections where they would probably get more views - and we'd be back to where we are now.

So I'm sticking to telling them to bugger off and let the admins delete their posts.