Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 10-21-2012, 01:47 AM

Send a message via MSN to Topperfalkon Send a message via Skype™ to Topperfalkon
    Default A Gaming Blog: My Coping Strategy for an Oppresively Large Steam Library

Hello PCG folks.

Firstly, may I apologise for never being as active as I really should have been.

Secondly, and this is directed at the mods/admins/forum overlords, I'm assuming this is the most appropriate place to post this?

Anyway, Steam tells me I have somewhere in the region of 600-700 games in my Library, which anyone can tell you is a ridiculous amount. I'm not sure if it accounts for DLC or not because the figure varies (my Steam profile, for instance, says it's more like >1000).

So, in order to tackle the ever growing mountain of games I've not played but should, I've decided that I'd go through and write a blog review of the games as I play through them, to give myself an added incentive.

Now, the kicker here is that even if I played and reviewed a game a day, this will clearly take the best part of 2 years to complete, in which time my collection will, no doubt, grow.

So, considering this methodically, I thought I'd pick a game going from A-Z throughout my collection, continuing until I ran out of games or got too depressed to keep writing. My target is at least one blog post a week, but obviously the more I can do the less of a mountain I have to climb. My first post, which I'm currently writing, will be for Audiosurf. I also hope the quality of my writing as I progress.

Whilst this is largely for my own benefit, I would love for people to visit my blog ([URL="falkon-gaming.blogspot.com"]currently here[/URL]) and comment. If you wish to give me suggestions on games to prioritise, check out my [URL="http://steamcommunity.com/id/topperfalkon"]Steam Profile[/URL]. I think I've left this for far too long.

Wish me luck.

Last edited by Topperfalkon; 10-21-2012 at 01:54 AM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 10-21-2012, 02:05 AM

Looks interesting! I'll definitely read it when I get some time away from terraria.

STEAM
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 10-21-2012, 02:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to Topperfalkon Send a message via Skype™ to Topperfalkon

Ok, so the Audiosurf post is up. As I said before, I'm sure my writing will get better over time, I doubt this is going to be anywhere near PCG's standards yet :P

For #B, I'm looking at probably doing either Batman: Arkham Asylum, Bioshock, or Braid.

Or whatever, if there's a high enough demand for something else under #B
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 10-21-2012, 02:52 AM

why don't you let your readers pick the games. have a vote or something...
    it doesn't have to even be everyday. maybe pick 1 or 2 days where people will vote on games that you can play.

Looking 4 Indie bundles? http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker

Last edited by doctor_roxo; 10-21-2012 at 02:55 AM.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 10-21-2012, 02:59 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by doctor_roxo View Post
    why don't you let your readers pick the games. have a vote or something...
    Partly because the aim is to eventually do all of them, so It's not so much a matter of which game do I cover, but which do I cover first.

Additionally, my rationale was that by the time I've set up (fair) polls for each game I review in a run, I could have done half of the reviews.

But, hey, if it ends up popular enough I can certainly consider it!
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 10-21-2012, 03:10 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Topperfalkon View Post
    Partly because the aim is to eventually do all of them, so It's not so much a matter of which game do I cover, but which do I cover first.

Additionally, my rationale was that by the time I've set up (fair) polls for each game I review in a run, I could have done half of the reviews.

But, hey, if it ends up popular enough I can certainly consider it!
    well i think its a cool idea. maybe set up a poll on monday for the game you're gonna do on sunday. just a thought...
    i like the idea of the whole thing though and i've put it in my google reader. hope it goes well.
    oh and thanks for accepting my group invite.

Looking 4 Indie bundles? http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 10-21-2012, 03:13 AM

Yeah. About that.

I'm thinking it's going to have to be a lot more than every Sunday. Doing that would take a 6 months just to do A-Z once.

Basically, I'm still working on the logistics of it, I've never really embarked on a project like this before. But I got to the point where if I didn't start it, it wouldn't happen, y'know?

Oh and yeah, no problem! :P

EDIT: Anyway, I need sleep. Thanks for the support so far, it helps to know I'm not going to be shouting into an empty room, so to speak.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 10-21-2012, 01:58 PM
    Banned

Holy hell. Someone with a large library than me? Never thought I'd see the day.

[url]http://steamcommunity.com/id/Palodin[/url]
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 10-21-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Palodin View Post
    Holy hell. Someone with a large library than me? Never thought I'd see the day.

[url]http://steamcommunity.com/id/Palodin[/url]
    Well, in fairness there's not a great deal of difference. In terms of actual games I only have 6 more than you. I take my hat off to your equally impressively large collection though sir.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 10-21-2012, 04:31 PM

Very impressed how you spread your gametime across many genres. Your blog is readable, and you take time to talk the reader through the game.

I imagine that if you find a running-theme across your posts, perhaps considering how people with limited time/too many games may enjoy the A-Z of your collection, then you could pick up an appreciative readership.

Kudos.

Tags

blog, omg so many games, reviews, steam