Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 07-24-2012, 09:25 PM

Default Steam Question.

Yes yes yes, why am I asking here instead of there, what am I stupid or something? I figured it would get answered here first.
    Now I bought Civ V for my niece in the sale, her dad already has a steam account. Now if I set her up a steam account, will they get a bit arsey with having two steam accounts registered to the same address?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
    Yes yes yes, why am I asking here instead of there, what am I stupid or something? I figured it would get answered here first.
    Now I bought Civ V for my niece in the sale, her dad already has a steam account. Now if I set her up a steam account, will they get a bit arsey with having two steam accounts registered to the same address?
    No. Many families have two or more steam accounts at the same address. No problem at all.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 07-24-2012, 09:59 PM

Cheers. Good to know.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 07-25-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
    No, there can be any number of accounts at the same address.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 07-25-2012, 10:55 AM

The only thing they need to worry about, is signing into the same account from different locations. So if they have more than one computer, which already has "Dad" signed in, and the "Niece" didn't realize and started playing, and "Dad" wanted to play and got on the other computer and logged in under "Dad" and started playing, Steam will lock the account for sharing.

| AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 | Intel Core i5 2500K (Stock Cooler) | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 | Sapphire HD 7970 | 1TB WD Caviar Green | 5 TB WD External | Corsair 750HX PSU | Asus Xonar DS | NZXT Phantom | Tt Ultimate Challenger Keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit | Logitech z623 Sound System |

Steam
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 07-25-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor View Post
    The only thing they need to worry about, is signing into the same account from different locations. So if they have more than one computer, which already has "Dad" signed in, and the "Niece" didn't realize and started playing, and "Dad" wanted to play and got on the other computer and logged in under "Dad" and started playing, Steam will lock the account for sharing.
    No it won't, I accidentally log in on two computers all the time. It just won't let you log in on the second machine until you've logged out of the other one.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 07-25-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Burglar View Post
    No it won't, I accidentally log in on two computers all the time. It just won't let you log in on the second machine until you've logged out of the other one.
    That is true. It used to not check for that.

Now that it checks to make sure you're only logged in from one place, it shouldn't happen.

| AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 | Intel Core i5 2500K (Stock Cooler) | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 | Sapphire HD 7970 | 1TB WD Caviar Green | 5 TB WD External | Corsair 750HX PSU | Asus Xonar DS | NZXT Phantom | Tt Ultimate Challenger Keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit | Logitech z623 Sound System |

Steam
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 07-25-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Burglar View Post
    When I move machines it logs me off the old one when I sign in on the new.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 07-25-2012, 06:33 PM

On a quasi-related topic, correct me if I wrong (which I'm sure you will :3 ) but can't you log on YOUR steam account on a DIFFERENT computer and download your games onto the SECOND pc? With the restriction that you can only play them while logged on the owner's profile?

Intel Core i5-2500K@3.3 GHz
    16GB Patriot 1333MHz RAM - Dual Channel
    2GB GeForce GTX 460
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 07-25-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    On a quasi-related topic, correct me if I wrong (which I'm sure you will :3 ) but can't you log on YOUR steam account on a DIFFERENT computer and download your games onto the SECOND pc? With the restriction that you can only play them while logged on the owner's profile?
    Yes, games can be installed on a using a different steam account from the one that is logged in but they will not be available to play and will instead link you to the store.