Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games > PC Gamer Game Club

#1   Report Post  
    Old 04-06-2012, 04:43 AM

Default New to gaming and need advice

Hi,
    I am new to gaming and this site and need advice in selecting the right games for me to start with. I tried to do it myself but there is so any that I do not know which one would be suitable for my lack of skills and at the same time with a good quality graphics.
    I recently bought a decent laptop with all bells and whistles to play the 3D games and want to put it into a good use. There are the two types of games where I would like to start with. I would like the games to be advanced in technology where quality of images will be good and preferably 3D but also not too busy or complicated so the beginner can manage the scene. One area that I am interested to start in is a flight simulation game where I have already bought a dedicated joystick and throttle tool for. The second one is the car racing game, where I am planning to buy a dedicated controls for this type of game.
    I would really appreciate your advice in helping to chose the right games so I do not have to go from disappointment to disappointment before I get the right stuff.
    Andrew
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 04-07-2012, 03:50 PM

Thumbs up New to gaming and need advice

Hi Andrew,
    Myself is a veteran Pc gamer and what I can see and understand you have good spec laptop with a joystick, ok here is a place were you can see what games you can play on your pc.
    Click on Link:-http://www.yougamers.com/
    This is a safe download and all you have to do is Click on the game you would like and then you are given a download which is safe, it collects what type of hardware eg graphics card & processor etc you are running. It will then tell you if you can run the game or not.
    Have fun and hope you find what your looking for )
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 09-15-2012, 12:11 AM

A good place for you to start would be to download Steam. You can separate by genre for games, while finding reviews from other gamers. They also have pretty good sales going on for different holidays and a daily sale. It also makes it convenient that you don't have to worry about losing cd's or getting scratches. Once you make your steam account you can have the games on any PC that has steam.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 02-17-2013, 12:26 AM

I also second Steam: [URL="http://store.steampowered.com/"]steampowered.com[/URL]
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 02-19-2013, 03:57 PM

Or use this one if you like us enough to deter referral link spammers by not giving them what they want:

[URL="http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/"]http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/[/URL]
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 10-30-2013, 09:14 PM

I'd suggest you play a bunch of extremely well regarded games, and see what sort you like. A few particular recomendations for someone starting gaming is the orange box(portal, half life 2), the elder scrolls V(skyrim),league of legends(free to play), world of warcraft(free trial) and team fortress 2(free to play, technically in the orange box, but so much has changed since release). Also, apparently warthunder is good.

Also play eve online, but that's just my recommendation, and its bastard coated bastards brutalizing each other with a slight space theme. Spreadsheets too! If you want nerd cred, this and dwarf fortress (often considered the hardest game in the universe. Free) are the way to go.

Just remembered. Try Shogun 2 or napoleon total war as well, along with mass effect, Crysis, and dishonored. These and minecraft. On the note of minecraft the indie scene is often fantastic, with things like splunky or kerbal space program being amazing fun.

As a final note, bioshock infinite is the best linear game I've ever played with amazing worldbuilding, and great story, but is somewhat lacking in the actual gameplay, which while good, is not spellbinding.
    Gelid tranquillo rev 2
    8gb corsair vengenceLP
    xfx core 7850 2gb
    Asus zonar DG
    550w xfx pro
    antec three hundred
    Some crappy dvd drive and a collection of hard drives
    21.5 inch BenQ 1080p screen

Laptop
    Hp pavilion g6 with:
    A4-3300 apu with HD6370 gpu
    4 gb of ddr3 ram
    640gb hdd
    Some other crap

HTC one X uk/euro

Last edited by pireninjacolass; 10-30-2013 at 09:23 PM.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 10-31-2013, 02:41 AM

My advice is to goto the games section of the site, and start reading.. Look up Sims, look up racing games, and just start reading..

PC gaming has so many different styles it is amazing.. puzzle adventure, stratagey, FPS, RPG, sim, and everything in between..

If you Download Steam, you can try lots of games on free play weekends.. there are also demo's too.

gog.com has some wonderful older games, but most are first rate, and can be bought for less than the cost of a "value" meal