Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games > PC Gamer Game Club

#1   Report Post  
    Old 02-28-2012, 09:41 PM

Default March - PC gamer game of the month - Bioshock

Hi all,

I've been away and after reading the posts thought - 'to hell with it, we're all grown ups'. This month I'll be mostly playing .........Bioshock. I know it's a classic, I know most people have completed it, but have you done both endings? Have you forgotten how good it is? Was my Xbox version better?

When people say its a defining moment in gaming - do you make your excuses and leave? Did you never complete it - like me, and have a friend who constantly rebuked you for missing the best game ending ever?

I'm going for it, and I hope some of you guys will be with me. We'll pass comment and maybe find some fault, but above all have fun.

I'll be posting regularly, and this could become nothing more than a blog, but as they say, it's better with friends.

Sorry for the delay

Otto
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 02-28-2012, 11:00 PM

So I think I firstly need to clear up that apart from being a junior forum member I am not affiliated to PC gamer in any way. I hope that using the title PC gamer game of the month hasn't upset anyone - and if it does I am pretty sure a moderator can edit the title.

So I have completed level one, not the first time, but I had forgotten how great the graphics are - I am playing with a 360 controller so much easier than a keyboard I used last time. The water effect when I came up for air was beautiful, and graphically it is better than my console version.

Seeing Rapture initially reminded me of a cross between Bladerunner & Metropolis and the story seems a bit Orwellian, 1984 et al. I seem to remember that System Shock 2 was from the same people, and the voice tapes, and apparitions are very much in that mould. I am on medium difficulty, and there seems to be lots of health and pick ups, but I seem to remember these become more scarce as the levels progress.

The sound is fantastic, I am playing in a darkened room with headphones and the old fifties soundtrack is so atmospheric, with the occasional manic laugh or scream, it can be pretty scary. I don't intend to post spoilers, but I will be posting my progress. So far I have met splicers and seen the famous 'big daddy' onto level 2 tomorrow, and I'll keep you posted of my thoughts.

Otto
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 PM

I love this game. The scenery, the water effects, the tension caused by a shadow and a manic laugh... wonderful atmosphere.

However...

...even on my first playthrough, I was annoyed by the respawning enemies (a pet peeve of mine), lost in the "haven't I already been here?" environments, and, dare I say it, underwhelmed by the story. Fact was, I'd already played the story long before I bought Bioshock, in a game called System Shock 2.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 AM

Hi Ghosrman,

Thanks for the reply. I agree with your comments on the effects.

I set out to complete level 2 tonight but haven't yet completed it. I never completed System Shock 2, but I think that Bioshock seems quite deeper. There are the black and white harvest/ don't harvest but the whole ethical questions that it raises are more interesting.

What if society didn't bind people? Where do you draw the line in scientific endeavour? System Shock was scary from what I remember, but whereas it was you're on a spaceship everybody is dead and there's a mad computer ( which seems hardly original - though as I have said I have never completed it) , I cannot think of a setting like that of Bioshock - and there is far more lore to explore. I think there is even a novel or two out now.

Oh and there are far less health kits and stuff on level 2 - so it isn't looking good!!

Cheers

Otto
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 03-01-2012, 12:25 AM

Ghostman,

Do you still have BIoshock?? Are you going to run through it again, or is it a game with little replayability? I.e. I know the ending - there is little value in revisiting it because it isn't really a game, it's more a story - and like a good book, it will grip you , but when you've finished it's lost the suspense, and page turner value ?

Cheers

Otto
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 03-01-2012, 12:39 AM

The first third of Bioshock is great. The second 2/3 is repetitive fetch quest garbage. Not a bad game at all, just very overrated. I'd never replay it, I went through it once and the later parts of the game felt like work to be honest.

And in no way did it live up to what System Shock, and especially SS2 did when they came out. It is in NO way a classic or a "defining moment" in gaming. It failed to even live up to games that came out almost 10 years before it.

You think Bioshock is deeper than System Shock? And saying that you have an easier time playing a FPS with an Xbox pad rather than Keyboard and mouse... I can't even finish that sentence without risking getting banned.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 03-01-2012, 12:26 PM

I think Bioshock is gaming's "The Sixth Sense", in terms of the twist-in-the-tail story at least, and in much the same way as I'll watch that film occasionally, I can also see myself whipping through Bioshock on easy every couple of years or so (though I've had Bioshock 2 on my HD for a year and haven't got round to playing it).

I think Bioshock is regarded as a "defining moment" in gaming because it brought its story to a new, larger audience who had no experience to compare it to - yes, console gamers, if we have to get into that - and as such it will have stirred up some debate beyond the game about the ramifications of its story. Not only that but, if I'm not mistaken, it was itself heavily influenced by the work of Ayn Rand, whereas SS2 was more abstract.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 03-01-2012, 08:44 PM

Hi BadManiac, Ghostman,

Thanks for the comments,firstly I have to clarify that I am a distinctly subpar gamer. I always find WASD awkward to use, and though I admit aiming with a mouse is much more accurate I find movement easier with a Xbox controller. You're probably right, or far better at PC games than me. Part of why I am pants at FPS online games.

I did say that I never completed System Shock, I have it here glowering at me - cursing my ignorance a d challenging me to complete it in order to back up my claim. BadMan you may be right, and if I complete bioshock system shock 2 is there based on your recommendation, I'll let you know my opinion - though I am not saying its right.

The sixth sense analogy is pretty spot on really, I guess if you know the twist, it takes the fun out. I haven't read the Rand books, but I know you are right that Bioshock was based on this author, I guess it did ask pretty interesting questions.

As for depth, Bioshock is 18 fathoms beneath the ocean, system shock is in outer space. 18 fathoms is far deeper ;-)

Cheers for your thoughts and contributions.

Otto
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 03-02-2012, 02:11 PM

Hoorah, finally someone's hijacked the Game club thread and used it to talk about gaming.

I do keep intending to do another Game of the Indeterminate Period of Time, but always get sidetracked.

Funny story, I've never played Bioshock...I'll get round to it one day, honest.

#10   Report Post  
    Old 03-02-2012, 04:28 PM

CIrius,

Do you have Bioshock, and are you on Steam? Why not make March the month you dive in to the world of Bioshock? You can tell me I'm talking pants and laugh at my tortoise like speed of completing games, as you finish it twice!!!!

I know some of the guys have played it and aren't doing it again, I also know there is a lot of knowledge on this one. I'm going to do a post next week, when I'll look at some of the previews of the game, post some of the actual reviews and hopefully discuss with others on whether the reviews were correct, or whether as BadMan says the hype took over all.

I am certainly no expert on games, and I am learning from others, I might even ask for tips ( yes I know I could FAQ it, but actually chatting to other gamers makes it more interesting).

Hope to hear from you soon - go on dive in.

Otto

PS KR or FC...