Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Wurm Online > Village Chat > Golden Valley

#1   Report Post  
    Old 08-13-2010, 01:06 PM

Default Village Redevelopment

There was a time when the village had to accommodate 20-30 people at once and it grew exponentially quickly taking over the mountain. Now, with few than 10 people to manage a sprawling metropolis it's time we trimmed back the hedge so to speak. Looking back through the threads on the old forums, it seems a lot of day to day life in the village was spent maintaining things with little room for any projects.

So, in relation to the recent village map I've developed, I have some plans to put forward to pull back towards the original village site and relocate some communal structures to more accessible locations.

A quick, important notice: I realise some people live a fair bit away from the main village, but no-one will be asked to move from their present location and I've made a point of making sure everyone has good access to their houses and all presently occupied houses will not be altered.

First, the far north east of the village boundary. I've highlighted in red what can/should be removed.

Phase 1:

Points of interest:
    Removal of dead end paths/abandoned house flooring
    demolition of the 2nd forestry commission. Given the present size of the village/wood demands and the fact the old Lumberyard is closer, It isn't really needed.
    narrowing the main road to only 1 tile wide.
    Removal of Red Dove and Blue Duck farms (don't worry, they're only being moved. See phase 2)
    Removal of unnecessary roads

Hopefully the end result should look something like this:

Phase 2

Points of interest:
    abdanonded housing is removed
    paths are tidied up somehwhat.
    The path system to the left that serves no purpose is removed. In it's place will go the new animal farms. This is a good area to have animal farms as the rock level and slope means it's very difficult to terraform to build on, whereas animals can graze on any slope level
    The southern path that leads to the left has also been removed. In their place will be space for smaller housing plots

Finished result (houses and farms are for illustration)

I have a question though - I've labelled it a piece of farmland on the map with a question mark. Up until a couple of days ago there was nothing here apart from 1 or 2 fences that were days if not hours away from falling down. The area has now been fenced off and crops put in their place. Is this one of the crop farms?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 08-13-2010, 02:41 PM

Looks like a nice set-up and I can't see anything immediately that I'd want to change from the plan.

I wouldn't mind moving out my my shed and taking one of those new houses that would be built next to (north/left of) the village centre but I happen to remember that it's quite a slope isn't it? It maybe hard to level it off enough to have 2 houses there.

I'd also like to propse, while we are here, that any houses with 2 missing walls should be demolished. I think it was Iso I was talking to, said that he likes to keep houses up so new people have somewhere quickly to move into. I believe that building a house is an important step in learning how the game works; to build a house you need to work with wood, metal, earth and security and I feel it's necessary that new comers learn these skills.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 08-13-2010, 02:53 PM

Before i left that crop farm with the ? was a private farm of a villager, i cant seem to remember who's as i think it changed hands while i was there, not sure if that is still the case.

Also i'd recommend a path from the top farm to the FC just for easy access, as it might be an annoyance hogger to walk all the way round.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 08-14-2010, 12:58 PM

Whoa,hold on a second there,are you currently a member of pcgamer village donbar? I don't remember seeing you in my local,maybe you're under a different name? A recent member that i haven't met yet? I've been working 60+ hours a week so i haven't met some of the newer villagers. Maybe speak with iso or barb before you start tearing things down.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 08-14-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bohdan View Post
    Whoa,hold on a second there,are you currently a member of pcgamer village donbar? I don't remember seeing you in my local,maybe you're under a different name? A recent member that i haven't met yet? I've been working 60+ hours a week so i haven't met some of the newer villagers. Maybe speak with iso or barb before you start tearing things down.
    It's ok, he's an old member who joined around the same time that I did under the name Kai...something or other (sorry mate, can never remember the second part of your name).

You do raise a good point however, I'd like to hear what Barb thinks about this as I've already spoken to Iso about it.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 08-15-2010, 12:17 PM

So is there a yay or a nay to this redevelopment? If most people in the village don't care to even post their thoughts then there's little point in going ahead with it.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 08-15-2010, 12:32 PM

For me, I'd say nay.
    I don't like the idea of destroying all the work me, and all the other villagers have put in, just to have things tidier, and then if we end up getting more villagers, having to redo it. Tidiness and order would be nice, but not if it involves so much work.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 08-15-2010, 01:36 PM

There will be a lot more work involved in having to maintain all of the farms, pathways and extra FC than if they were removed and relocated. The distance you have to travel as well will also factor in in the long term.

If we do get more villagers and need to expand again, then so what? It's not a lot of work will be involved (most people will happily build their own houses/fences). The only thing others would 'have' to do is help lay down the roads and possibly a bit of digging.

If you don't want to change things, that's fine. I just hope you have some other projects in mind for us to work on as I don't fancy spending my time in the village repairing walls and fences which is all we seem to do.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 08-15-2010, 04:38 PM

We're fairly limited on what "projects" we can do on GV. The fort is a major one.
    As for moving, maintenance is necessary even if we move all of the buildings closer, and the distance isn't as much as you're making out, a few extra minutes walking time on top of lots of repair actions, if we improve all of the fences and building walls, that will lower the decay time.
    I have the kind of "why destroy something that could or does still serve a purpose" mentality, hence the reason that there are a few decaying houses left, as I'd just add new villagers to those writs and let them take over, saving resources and time.
    I don't want to seem confrontational, but what you're suggesting doesn't seem to make sense, apart from having any new villagers build in particular places, we don't really want them on either outskirt really
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 08-16-2010, 12:37 AM

Dear Mibeshu, Donbar (aka Kaisiene?),

Your enthusiasm, as previoulsy highlighted, is to be welcomed, though I see no reason to start making wholesale changes as you describe. The current setup has drawn no complaints from the current villagers, who, as I've stated before, have formed a loosley coupled group, with their own aims, to which, village resources have been moulded to suit where possible, while still tending to the needs of all. Granted, farming seems to have taken a back seat these days, so that land could be utilised differently. The FC2 is handy for villagers on the North side maybe, while the FC1 for the Southerners. A couple of months back, wood was short, even with two FCs, so I would welcome a dedicated lumberjack with sole (maybe with an apprentice) access, to cut down (pun intended ) on those forgetting to replant, grrr.

As for village layout, I like the haphazard, quaintness of it, I'm not one for regimented US style blocks (I know you've not advocated anything this drastic, I'm just stating my view). I think there is need for a path from the North end to the West end, passing just by my back door/SK, that's a little more accessible for those wishing to get to the path to the sea.

So, to summerise, I'm not in favour of the changes. Now, if you fancy tackling the village-encompassing border fence, with outlying temporary shelter for newcomers, be my guest to submit plans for that .

In the meantime, let's make Isosto's comment and in a VERY erratic way (due to the little amount of time I get to play and my inability to focus on anything for a length of time) one of my aims, to imp all walls and fences to as close to 20 as our patience and sanity allows, a priority. That gives everyone the benefit of releasing more time for doing other, more exciting things, like extending the PCG Docks/jetty and building the colossus at the end of it, oo, oo and building a ship, not just a rowing boat, yes, yes, I know we can't sail it but think how awesome it would look. On that note, if anyone sees Marmaduke, I've moved his cart to a safe place.

Yours,

Barbaresco the Infrequent