Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > SW: The Old Republic > EU Guild - PC Gamer Mint Imperials

#1   Report Post  
    Old 12-22-2011, 10:21 AM

Default Slane's Tips (Possible Spoilers)

Some of this information might seem obvious but sometimes even the smallest information can help, I'm not trying to teach anyone to such eggs, just sharing some minor wisdom.

Questing....

If you wanna level easy then complete quest areas.
    I personally take all the quests I can in all the areas I can, one I like to complete things and two if you take these quests you received more XP, Credits and level over the odds, by that I mean when you've completed a quest area you're usually higher then required for the next set of quests,which makes the next set of mobs/quests easier to complete, this doesn't effect the XP rewards if your still within the boundys of the map levels. (i.e. if you level 40 in a level 10 area you ain't going to get XP for the quests or very little).

Don't just run past mobs, I tend to attack creatures on the way to and from quests, this for two reasons, 1. I increases credits and level and 2. Killing creatures can open bonus quests for killing them.

Set your looting to area looting on a single click, you will loot everything and do it fast, this will save time and increase credits, if you follow the tips in the next section you should never have a full backpack, if you do for some reason get a full backpack take the time to either send your companion off or destroy the lowest value single loot, I don't get rid of stacks as you usually get lots of the same grey items in the same areas.

Remember to use all the fast travel driods and spawn points, this isn't WOW it won't bind you to one location.

At the moment you cannot chant advanced classes, you can respec within that class at an increasing credit cost, so think carefully what you want to do futher down the line. Within advanced classes you can have two skill sets, I.e. in the Adv. Bounty hunter tree you can DPS or HEAL, so at a cost of credits you can heal one flash point and DPS another, I warning though, it you continully do this the cost to respec will be large, i've heard personally of it getting above 37,000 credits, although I don't know if theres a cap or if there is what the cost is.

Open your 5000c backpack early....

The expanded space will allow you to hold more items before selling, which in turn will save you time, if you don't want to do this and you have your first companion while traversing the area (moving from one quest to another) send them off to sell your grey items, its usually quick and again will save you space.

I personally opened my 5000c and 20,000c backpack as soon as I had the money, and still had the credits to buy my speeder at level 25. I tend not to buy ANYTHING, as in I use loot from quest rewards and drops, I buy all my skills as i get them, but do not make the trip buck to the trainer as soon as I level, this is because I find that completing the current quests will take you back to the trainer location once completed and again saves you time to play or level fast if that's what you're after.

Map routes....

If you want to move across the map fast whether on a speeder of on foot then stay on the solid golden line, this route is clear of mobs, the dotted golden lines usually represent the routes to quest locations.

Save your Commendations....

Not a lot of people don't know that you can trade these up to the next level/map area at a cost of 2-1, example you have 10 Hutta commendations, you can change these for 5 Dromund Kaas commendations.

Companions....

Don't forget that your 'slave' levels with you, so remember to upgrade their equipment too, its very easy to forget this, I know i have on occation.

Make use of thier time, If you've already got your crew skills then use then effectively, if you're running around the fleet looking for skills or selling items on the GTM then send them of missions, this is especially useful to do while you're in flashpoints.

If you increase you companions affection for you it will reduce crafting time and increase successfulness of gathering or completing missions.

Even if you tread them badly they will never leave you, your level also dictates how many companions you can have working on missions, I believe this is 2 at lvl 27. 3 at 37, 4 at 47 and 5 at 48-50. You don't have to have your crafting materials on you, they can be either in your bank, on the ship or on you for you to make things.

If you knew any of this that's cool, if you didn't hope it helps.

I will be updating this as I go along, but for now i have to goto work.

S
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 12-22-2011, 11:46 AM

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

-Steam ID: munkeyboy951
    -Origin: Goobagon
    -Swtor Pcg Mint Imperials: Gormagon(Assassin tank/dps)
    -Swtor Pcg Altoids: Goobagon(Imp. agent)
    -Wow Pcg Guild: Gormagon(Mage)
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 12-22-2011, 01:53 PM

Cheers for that there were a few little things I didn't know like the upgrading commendations and that you don't need to carry crafting mats to use them when crafting.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 12-22-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pRiM8 View Post
    Cheers for that there were a few little things I didn't know like the upgrading commendations and that you don't need to carry crafting mats to use them when crafting.
    Same here. I've been running back to my bank to get the mats before going on a crafting frenzy. This is going to make things much easier. Really neat trick.

Regarding companions and missions. I'm level 18 which gave me access to my ship and the droid on there. This means I can have 2 companions on missions at level 18.

One tip. Make sure to send all your companions on lengthy missions when you are logging off for the night. Some of those missions can take up to 24 hours (so I've read). So you may as well use this downtime.

Another one. You get a sprint ability at level 14 (iirc, and I think all classes get it). This makes travel a lot quicker.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 12-22-2011, 05:58 PM

You cannot actually trade up commendations any more. Bioware supposedly removed this two builds ago because players were hoarding commendations; defeating the point of the system in the first place.

For example, the commendations on the Origin worlds are supposed to be used to buy the chest piece that goes with the gear from the Origin World heroics.

PC Gamer Revel Alliance - Canton - 20 Smuggler Gunslinger
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 12-22-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zalid View Post
    Same here. I've been running back to my bank to get the mats before going on a crafting frenzy. This is going to make things much easier. Really neat trick.

Regarding companions and missions. I'm level 18 which gave me access to my ship and the droid on there. This means I can have 2 companions on missions at level 18.

One tip. Make sure to send all your companions on lengthy missions when you are logging off for the night. Some of those missions can take up to 24 hours (so I've read). So you may as well use this downtime.

Another one. You get a sprint ability at level 14 (iirc, and I think all classes get it). This makes travel a lot quicker.
    Yeah apologies some of this was writen in note from the beta, I need to check some of the things above in the release.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 12-22-2011, 10:52 PM
    Banned

My Trooper is lvl 30 and i have 4 companions (one being the droid that came with my ship). Basically you pick one up from the first 3 worlds you are on when you finish your class quests there.

Getting lonely at lvl 30 so am going to start a new char for a week or so until the population gets healthier at mid level range.

Oh and a few tips i discoverd late on in the game.

if you press P and click the general tab you have an emergency fleet pickup which will teleport you instantly to your factions fleet, but beware it has a 17 hour cooldown.

Light and Dark side does not only affect your appearance there are light and darkside vendors in your factions fleet that sell tiered items dependant on your level of light and dark (including relics which I am yet to come across elsewhere in the game).

You don't need a mod station to mod your items just like WoW,ctrl and right click the item and you can do it on the fly.

use your companion to sell off all the vendor trash in your bags just before you fast travel, and always remember to send your companions on crafting missions as constantly as you can (slicing is a huge money maker apparently, but I dont have it).

On your pet bar there is a little + sign which you can click so the pets skills will fill your bottom bar and some have stances which you can toggle for tank dps or healing purposes.

Keep your blues and purples you cant use for the AH, they sell like hotcakes. I managed to sell a lvl 20 blue for 15k, some people lap them up so take advantage.

Do your space missions regularly for good xp.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 12-22-2011, 11:06 PM

relics can drop in loot I got one today, it did however required light 1 or greater so they may all be tied to your alignment. there is also supposedly a way to make them with the shards you get from some holocrons (the glowy box things) or what ever they are calling them now if you take them to some jedi temple.

also good tip on the modifying I was getting sick of keep having to run to the tables.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 12-23-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slane View Post
    Yeah apologies some of this was writen in note from the beta, I need to check some of the things above in the release.
    No worries. They are a work in progress

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cartoon Head View Post
    if you press P and click the general tab you have an emergency fleet pickup which will teleport you instantly to your factions fleet, but beware it has a 17 hour cooldown.
    That's a handy one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    also good tip on the modifying I was getting sick of keep having to run to the tables.
    So many have been asking where the local tables are that I was bemused. Even I realised you don't need a table as when I got my first lightsaber (iirc) I saw in the tooltip "Ctrl click to modify". Maybe there is some other benefit to using a table or BioWare just realised it was too much of a chore to find a table to modify items.

One tip, if you get any kind of UI problem, such as a skill not showing on your action bars or the guild window not working try Ctrl+U x2. This turns off the UI and turns it back on. Fixed the guild window for me last night and is quicker than logging out/in.

Last edited by Zalid; 12-23-2011 at 04:24 PM.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 01-05-2012, 09:35 AM

Regarding the mod table, it just gives you the opportunity to take out the installed mod before replacing with the new one. A cost is involved (68 credits)not sure if it increases as your level of equipment increases. If you just right click and modify without the table it destroys the already installed mod, like the gems in WoW