Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-26-2011, 04:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Majestic
    Default GTX 550 TI Fan Locked...

I just recently replaced my gt 430 with a PNY GTX 550 TI, and it runs closer to the temps of my 9800 GX2. (I hit 61c, and gaining, at full gpu usage in a matter of 3-4 minutes.) So I am using msi afterburner and running a custom fan profile. Unfortunately I am limited to 41%-77% of the fan speed. I have only found this solution - [url]http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=960371&mpage=1[/url] - But this is for EVGA cards, I need to unlock a PNY.... I have googled the hell out of this and cant find anything else. I dont want to use it, because there may be enough of a difference to brick a card I am still paying off. Any ideas?
    My card is pictured here: [url]http://www.hughsnews.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/PNY-XLR8-GeForce-GTX-550-Ti.jpg[/url] It is an Enthusiast Edition.
    GTX 550 TI
    Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR
    Thermaltake 800W PSU
    Antec 300
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-26-2011, 05:05 AM

temps are fine - my 6950 runs at around 60-65C when I'm not OCing it (and when I am I whack the fan right up (to about 60%) so it's <45C) - don't pay this no mind

Holy Cow - Warren Spector
    Life is too fucking short to hear or play Freebird - Isaac Brock
    I hope I see you later, where everybody's okay - Randy Brewer
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-26-2011, 05:31 AM

Please don't bother telling me my card doesn't get hot enough to need this, I know I'll survive without unlocking it, but I really would like two. I have lost a card to overheating once, and really don't want to do it again. I asked for help finding a way to unlock it, not an opinion of whether or not I need to.
    GTX 550 TI
    Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR
    Thermaltake 800W PSU
    Antec 300
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-26-2011, 07:59 AM
    Banned

hello, from personal experience PNY is J.U.N.K. I tried them in the past and everytime it would just crap out and I have to take it back. It is not surprising 10 years later, they are still junk.

Fans are a tricky, if it feels like it wants to turn but can't. you will need to pop it off and clean the gook that builds up on either bearings or spin wheel. IF you don't want to do that, you can buy cooling kits for gpus.

I have a problem with antec 200mm fan on top of my case where ythe dust gets sucked right intot he mechanism. I have to pop the spindle out clean it, then lube the spindle and put it back in place.

Hopefully you can get it working, but if not , go with a more stable brand of nvdia card like EVGA , MSI , ASUS. PNY is just crap construction 50% of the time

Looking at the card, you will have to unscrew the metal cover.

Then peal up the pny sticker that is in the center of the fan.

You should see a washer or bolt , you will need to remove that, and then gently pull the fan blade off.

BE VERY CAREFUL and watch how everything pulls apart.

Clean the gook in there then use some silicon lubricant on the fingers to rub on the moving parts(bearings or spindle).

Put it all back together and see if cleaning it worked.

If that didn't work, you will need to buy a gpu kit like this one I linked [url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118037[/url]

Last edited by American_Freedom; 11-26-2011 at 08:08 AM.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-26-2011, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the input, I have heard this about PNY allot, but I could only get it by borrowing the money from a friend, and PNY was the cheapest. ( I was going to save and pick up a GTX 560 TI at a steep discount online, but my gt 430 was bordline FAIL, so I had to take the quickest solution) My problem is VBIOS related though, not mechanical. Unless I open my window and let the cold winter air in my room, my card heats up past my comfort zone while gaming. It appears to be limited to 77% fan speed. I would add it to my water loop, but I am dirt broke and cant afford the hoses let alone the water block for the card. So all I can do is try to tap into the remaining fan power ATM. It probably wouldnt be so bad if I had all 5 120mm and the 1 200mm fans my case should have, but I cant afford that either atm.
    GTX 550 TI
    Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR
    Thermaltake 800W PSU
    Antec 300
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-26-2011, 09:45 AM

Smile

Also, I have been meaning to look up how to take a case fan apart for ages, thank you very much for that info.
    GTX 550 TI
    Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR
    Thermaltake 800W PSU
    Antec 300
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-26-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    Please don't bother telling me my card doesn't get hot enough to need this, I know I'll survive without unlocking it, but I really would like two. I have lost a card to overheating once, and really don't want to do it again. I asked for help finding a way to unlock it, not an opinion of whether or not I need to.
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-PIckHrZ0o"]
    You should be able to set the fan speed through the Nvidia Control Panel, but if it won't go past 77% there then it's probably a duff card that needs RMA-ing - I mean, I get where AF is coming from with the idea of dirt slowing things down - but I can't see why that would impose a limit on the control panel

before RAM-ing the card, it might be worth flashing the BIOS (on the GPU) just in case it's a soft fault and not a hard one[/URL]

Holy Cow - Warren Spector
    Life is too fucking short to hear or play Freebird - Isaac Brock
    I hope I see you later, where everybody's okay - Randy Brewer
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-26-2011, 03:06 PM

I have a 4 year old PNY 8800GTX in my old system, still works fine. They are usually the cheapest referrence card brand, but they seem ok to me, if you cant spend more, i wouldnt worry.
    Zowie AM-GS/Filco Maj.2 (mx brown)/Senn.PC360/Corsair SP2500

---------------------------
    Self built PC problems Here
    Can i run game XYZ Here
    How do PSU's work Here
    Whats in your PC Here
    Keep your PC clean Here
    How to build a PC Here & Here
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2011, 04:20 PM

Unhappy

My card does not need to be RMA'd. This is an issue with a lot of recent cards, including the 550. So even if I do return it, Ill probably get the same issue. I noticed a ton of heat coming out the case today and decided to check out my temps when my room wasn't freezing cold. Look at how hot it got, and how long it took to get there. I do max this card out a lot while gaming, especially when modding or playing my modded version of GTA IV. PNY will not help with this, and I was really hoping to find some help from some if the experts here.

GTX 550 TI
    Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR
    Thermaltake 800W PSU
    Antec 300
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2011, 10:48 AM
    Banned

Those look like normal Nvidia temps to me...

Only thing you can do is replace the gpu's stock cooling. Add extra case fans or try water cooling

Last edited by American_Freedom; 11-29-2011 at 10:50 AM.