Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Magazine and site talk

#1   Report Post  
    Old 04-16-2012, 03:45 PM

Default is it always like this?

i'm new to this forum and lately the "games" section has just been engulfed in threads from new users advertising their games or kickstarter projects. i've just noticed this in the last week or two and wonder if it's always been like this?

isn't that what tigsource is for?

Looking 4 Indie bundles? http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 04-16-2012, 03:54 PM

It's new and I wish they would treat it as spam.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 04-16-2012, 03:55 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

There's usually one a week. It's getting ridiculous at this point. It'll die down soon enough though once all the projects advertised suddenly realise they don't have it in them to succeed.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 04-16-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SAeN View Post
    There's usually one a week. It's getting ridiculous at this point. It'll die down soon enough though once all the projects advertised suddenly realise they don't have it in them to succeed.
    seems like there's more than that. i clicked on a few threads that didn't have any replies and they were all spam

#5   Report Post  
    Old 04-16-2012, 04:35 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

Quote:
    Originally Posted by doctor_roxo View Post
    seems like there's more than that. i clicked on a few threads that didn't have any replies and they were all spam
    I meant before the kickstarter fad began.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 04-16-2012, 05:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell

I use this to truly ignore that stuff - [url]http://ffvb.softpedia.com/[/url].

The mods and mag exec should either make a section of the forum devoted to promoting that stuff, trade/beg request and such.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 04-16-2012, 05:05 PM
    Banned

In general I personally don't always treat them like spam because, firstly, the rule is against repeated self promotion - there's no particular harm in letting people know about a new cool thing you're doing, and while there are better ways to get the word out, if I started banning literally every promotional post, where would I stop at people finding some really cool new game online? There are some I delete and ban - either if as said, they repeatedly post the same thing (so breaking the repeated self promotion rule), and those that either just have far too much screenshots and links and an over-reliance on referral links on a case by case basis.

But the best way to deal with them if you don't like them is actually to ignore them, rather than reply with a sarky comment or picture, however tempting it is - all you achieve when you do that is bump them up the page and relegate true discussion threads off the page - if you have a genuine comment or query about them, fine (and I agree, it's very frustrating when they don't come back to respond) but if you ignore them, they'll just drop off the page and disappear.

Last edited by The_B; 04-16-2012 at 05:08 PM.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The_B View Post
    But the best way to deal with them if you don't like them is actually to ignore them, rather than reply with a sarky comment or picture, however tempting it is.
    Awh, you're no fun.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The_B View Post
    In general I personally don't always treat them like spam because, firstly, the rule is against repeated self promotion - there's no particular harm in letting people know about a new cool thing you're doing, and while there are better ways to get the word out, if I started banning literally every promotional post, where would I stop at people finding some really cool new game online? There are some I delete and ban - either if as said, they repeatedly post the same thing (so breaking the repeated self promotion rule), and those that either just have far too much screenshots and links and an over-reliance on referral links on a case by case basis.

But the best way to deal with them if you don't like them is actually to ignore them, rather than reply with a sarky comment or picture, however tempting it is - all you achieve when you do that is bump them up the page and relegate true discussion threads off the page - if you have a genuine comment or query about them, fine (and I agree, it's very frustrating when they don't come back to respond) but if you ignore them, they'll just drop off the page and disappear.
    that's cool. i'll be nice from now on. i did have a bit of fun there a lil' while ago but i'll just ignore it. i know this probably happens on every forum, i had just never seen it here much until recently.
    and some of them are cool ideas or games so...