Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

#11   Report Post  
    Old 02-07-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Urumqi View Post
    Also, if the situation allows, Heroic leap (lvl 85) can be good to pull as its aoe damage than lets you follow with a thunderclap and a shockwave.

The situation always allows heroic leap to feature in some way. It should be used on cooldown, even out of combat.
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 02-07-2011, 01:24 PM

Pretty much everything here is right I reckon -

The cleaving charge effect from blitz is awesome, rend/thunderclap I use on most packs, but often neglect it for single target/boss.

Revenge doesn't seem to feature as much in my tanking as it used to, especially since the shield block nerf, Im usually too concerned with knocking out thunderclaps and devastates.

Again, shield slam, I tend to neglect a bit unless ive got nothing else to press, but its very very useful for securing threat on bosses - especally Tank-swap ones like Argaloth.

Also, didnt they remove the extra threat component from devastate? Im sure I read it in patch notes somewhere. Though I didnt realize that Glyph of SA added to devastate as well, I might replace that stupid glyph of devastate in which case. 5% crit, what crap.

Thunderclap and CC: Cleave will more than likely break CC, but Ive found that if your CCer has his ability glyphed so the mobs can take a bit more damage before it breaks, they can usually take a thunderclap without breaking.

Gag order is absolutely golden -- I had a tank in Vortex pinnacle who hadnt specced it (his spec was pretty iffy overall tbh) and the pack pulls at the end with Adepts and Ministers etc were nightmares. It is SO useful and groups will love you for the controlled, skilled pulls you can make with it.

EDIT: I'd also like to make a quick comment on what Cataclysmic said in regards to using charge on Ozruk; I don't know about anyone else, but I often find that using charge to close the gap after "Shatter" can result in winding up in the space where Ozruk WAS -- i.e. your charge lands you behind him, causing him to turn and face the group, which often results in his casting of ground slam towards the group.

Last edited by Redrothkin; 02-07-2011 at 01:30 PM.
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 02-07-2011, 02:07 PM

I saw a warrior without charge-cleave use charge to great effect on pulls that required CC to give him a bit of extra rage and at times to charge in and shield bash casters so they wud run back to the group with him. He just charged in and ran back to the group with the mobs, using TC when they were out of range of CC.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 02-07-2011, 02:20 PM

Thats a pretty standard way of doing it tbh, but its important ofc to remember that charge does no damage, so charge cleave or no cleave, it won't hurt your CCs.

I suppose the only drawback would be getting mobs back to the group after stunning a lot of them, youd have to wait for the stun to wear off, making it a tad pointless.

Haha, now I think about it, the charge cleave doesnt have much PvE use really, maybe I should put the points elsewhere myself!
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Redrothkin View Post
    Revenge doesn't seem to feature as much in my tanking as it used to, especially since the shield block nerf, Im usually too concerned with knocking out thunderclaps and devastates.

Again, shield slam, I tend to neglect a bit unless ive got nothing else to press, but its very very useful for securing threat on bosses - especally Tank-swap ones like Argaloth.
    Shield Slam and Revenge should be your top 2 priorities as they are pretty much your biggest threat (and dps) generators.

Foosfighting 12/11/2010
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 02-11-2011, 04:10 PM

Thanks guys this has improved my tanking no end, if anyone wants a tank for 76 - 80 encounters send me a /w in game
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 04-18-2011, 01:21 AM

Actually nice and simple, use two bars. One for AoE threat gain and one for single target.

AoE:

A) For 5 man heroic dungeons with high dpsers that instantly nuke and steal threat.

1. Charge
    2. Shockwave
    3. Rend
    4. Thunder Clap
    5. Shield Wall / Revenge
    6. Cleave
    7. Devastate

B) For 5 man heroic dungeons with normal dpsers that you can out threat on the initial pull

1. Charge
    2. Rend
    3. Thunder Clap
    4. Shield Wall / Revenge
    5. Cleave

Single Target

A) The highest TPS

1. Charge
    2. Shield Slam
    3. Shield Block / Revenge
    4. Devastate
    5. Heroic Strike

(Keep Rend up for maximum DPS, Worth using HT as well)

Source: Actively raiding protection warrior. I can honestly say I have never lost threat using this rotation, except from the occasional guildies fury burst of 26k DPS. Never ever keep Shield Wall off of cooldown, Revenge is the highest threat per point skill we have, it is never not worth using. Shield Slam is absolutely superb too.

At 85, I'd suggest running this gem order too:

1. Mastery
    2. Parry
    3. Stamina

- Basically it's not as it was in WoTLK where the higher the HP pool the better the tank. Avoidance is key, generally speaking avoid or reforge Dodge items where possible as that's only worth stacking after the Mastery and Parry start paying out diminishing returns.

Last edited by Dragon-RD; 04-18-2011 at 01:27 AM.
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 04-18-2011, 11:09 AM

I heard you need to keep parry and dodge within 4% of each other?

-Mental
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 04-18-2011, 11:26 AM

Parry has slightly more value than dodge because [URL="http://www.wowhead.com/spell=84621"]Hold the Line[/URL] works off parry, not dodge
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 04-18-2011, 11:38 AM

[url]http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/118/graph3t.jpg[/url]

For the optimal parry/dodge ratio.